• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, April 25-May 1 [2022-05-13]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:15 am Reply with quote
Expected the sales for the new Sports title to be so much higher tbh
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am Reply with quote
I those numbers for Nintendo Switch Sports are alright, it doesn't have that wow factor the original Wii Sports had but I can see this version becoming an evergreen title like Ring Fit Adventure. I remember people complaining that Nintendo didn't bundle the Switch with a game like Wii Sports, but I guess they wanted to distance themselves from the image they had in the Wii era. Also, Wii Sports was sold separately from the Wii in Japan.
Also, it was reported that the Switch has outsold the PS4 in the U.S., that's kind of amazing.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Expected the sales for the new Sports title to be so much higher tbh
300k in Japan only for just two weeks is actually quite a big number, considering it's not a bundle-type game like Wii Sports.

Ring Fit took a lot less in the beginning, but win millions in it's long run.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or Nintendo just consistently keeps dominating video game sales in Japan?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Is it just me or Nintendo just consistently keeps dominating video game sales in Japan?
Always has been for literal years, with a few exceptions.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Always has been for literal years, with a few exceptions.

Well, I guess Nintendo isn't in any danger of losing the video game wars, at least in Japan. It's the West I'm worried about. Apparently, Japanese developers have been consistently outperformed by Western developers, not to mention that Square Enix just sold its Western subsidiaries in order to focus on its Japanese IPs.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Well, I guess Nintendo isn't in any danger of losing the video game wars, at least in Japan. It's the West I'm worried about. Apparently, Japanese developers have been consistently outperformed by Western developers, not to mention that Square Enix just sold its Western subsidiaries in order to focus on its Japanese IPs.
Not anywhere either, considering current Switch performance even with the shortages which affect everyone. But yeah, Japanese software market (at least in physical releases, cause no one show the actual number of digital sales) is really lost for everyone except Nintendo. Ironically, the one who do the most for Sony now are the 3rd-party publishers like Square, Capcom and Bamco, but even them combined cannot do even a fraction of crazy Nintendo games legs, while most of Sony 1st party games are selling quite miserably there compared to the Western market (exception can be Ghost of Tsushima and by lesser degree first Spiderman).

It's crazy how the things are now, considering how Nintendo kicked off from the bottom after WiiU failure to the game console that now nearly achieved lifetime PS4 sales in only 5 years since release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1