• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Considers Legal Action Against Illegally Recorded Uploads of Dragon Ball Super: Super He

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to have seen it legally. They need to release these kind of things same-day globally. Cam rips look and sound like garbage and I'd advise against watching them.
I will buy the Blu-ray whenever that happens.
Azure1991

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people stateside don't want to wait until it comes out in theaters to avoid being spoiled. Pretty much every major plot point ended up trending on Twitter when the movie came out in Japan. I'm willing to bet most people who downloaded it illegally are still going to see it in theaters or buy a copy if it's available to them.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I mean, this is going to be a thing as long as movie theaters are still the main way of releasing movies. When every person in the crowd has the ability to record the movie in real time, you'll always have a few people who take advantage of that. Its time to move away from that format into same day streaming.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
At this point, who is willing to watch shitty cam rips, anyway??? Also, I was under the impression that this movie was gonna be released at the same time worldwide as in Japan. I thought we were over this annoying, protracted release schedule for Japanese movies at least since the Mugen Train one, especially with a brand as universally recognizable as Dragon Ball Super.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I wish the mods in the FB anime group I'm in were this diligent. Folks be uploading so many spoilers I had to mute the group. lol
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Its time to move away from that format into same day streaming.

Maybe I’m wrong with this presumption but hacking pretty much ensures that streaming will be just as susceptible to leaks and piracy. Plus unless you’re going to ensure every single person on the planet has access to steady and competent internet service in addition to reasonably priced streaming services with good features that enhances the experience that ain’t happening.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
At this point, who is willing to watch shitty cam rips, anyway??? Also, I was under the impression that this movie was gonna be released at the same time worldwide as in Japan. I thought we were over this annoying, protracted release schedule for Japanese movies at least since the Mugen Train one, especially with a brand as universally recognizable as Dragon Ball Super.

Yet Her Blue Sky and Hello World never have never received a North American release in any way, shape or form. Nowhere to even stream them legally either.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
People who violate Japan's Copyright Act and its Act on Prevention of Unauthorized Recording of Films and the general Copyright Law face up to 10 years in prison, up to 10 million yen (about US$73,000) in fines, or both.

Sending 10 years in prison for watching anime series/movies illegally (ditto weeds/canabis) is more stricter than sexual harassment/abuse, violence and pedophilia. Sad.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised I haven't been spoiled yet. It's tempting to watch a camrip, but I'm holding myself back as much as I can until it releases in the Netherlands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:

People who violate Japan's Copyright Act and its Act on Prevention of Unauthorized Recording of Films and the general Copyright Law face up to 10 years in prison, up to 10 million yen (about US$73,000) in fines, or both.

Sending 10 years in prison for watching anime series/movies illegally (ditto weeds/canabis) is more stricter than sexual harassment/abuse, violence and pedophilia. Sad.

"Why Horrible Sex Crimes are Hardly Brought to Justice in Japan"

moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:
Its time to move away from that format into same day streaming.

Maybe I’m wrong with this presumption but hacking pretty much ensures that streaming will be just as susceptible to leaks and piracy. Plus unless you’re going to ensure every single person on the planet has access to steady and competent internet service in addition to reasonably priced streaming services with good features that enhances the experience that ain’t happening.

I work in video games, and the industry in general has found that easy legal access to games in general reduces piracy by a lot. When Steam (whatever you may think of it) moved into areas where there was a lot of piracy, piracy dropped. By a lot. You're never going to eliminate it completely, but even though streaming would be easy pickin's for pirates, people generally seem to prefer and don't mind using legal sources.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I thought we were over this annoying, protracted release schedule for Japanese movies at least since the Mugen Train one, especially with a brand as universally recognizable as Dragon Ball Super.

I thought there was a pretty significant gap between Mugen Train's theatrical release in Japan and outside of Japan.

Either way, the industry is not known to suddenly embrace changes. Simultaneous release is going to be very hard, even for bigger titles. Digital release will also be hard because physical theatres will lobby to keep it exclusive to theatres as long as possible.

I know the 24th movie of Detective Conan got a real simultaneous theatrical release in multiple theatres around the world but the circumstances for this release is really not replicable/scalable.

At least the 6 months gap for Mugen Train is shortened to 3 months for JJK. But if you compare regionally, unless you live in Taiwan or something, the gap will be there and it will be at least months not weeks to get a release.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw the camrip and was tempted, but am holding out for streaming release so I can see it in the highest quality. Shame it's taking so long.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
I thought there was a pretty significant gap between Mugen Train's theatrical release in Japan and outside of Japan.

Yeah, I know there was a 8-month gap between Mugen Train's Japanese release date and the international one. That's why I mentioned it as an example. You thought right but you read wrong, apparently.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
When I went to an anime movie last year, some bloke wanted to record certain "hype" parts of it. Told him to drop it right then and there. But did he actually listen? No.
These things will never end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2