• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parallel World Pharmacy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he's stuck crunching the numbers for a soulless corporation that literally doesn't give a shit if he dies getting the job done

I didn't get the impression he was forced to overwork himself. His late night experiments seemed to be something he chose to do for his own goals (his assistant appeared to be well rested with normal work hours). He's haunted by the death of his sister and wants to find a cure no matter the cost. Makes him more admirable, if a bit dumb.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think you're wrong about the nature of his overworking himself to death.

It was very clearly established in episode 1 that the reason he was working so hard was because of his sister's death. He was working himself to death to find a cure for cancer. He didn't want to see another person die from cancer like his sister did. So he was willing to work himself to death, to sacrifice his life if that's what it took to find a cure for cancer.

And episode two only serves to cement the fact that everything he did in his previous life was to try and find a cure for the very thing that took his sister away.

Hell, when he saw his new sister laying sick in bed, he superimposed her image with the memories of his other sister.

To say that the company he was working for forced him to work himself to death is an insult to every doctor or medical researcher who works hours, days, sometimes weeks at a time without rest in order to prevent other people from dying of the same things their loved ones did.

Farma dying of overwork was a case of someone who lost a loved one and buried themselves in work in an attempt to prevent something similar from happening to anyone else.

Mod edit - Removed insult
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
While I also disagree with him being forced, based on what we were shown...is there any actual reason to be so mortally offended? Because that reads like a major overreaction, and possibly projecting.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
While I also disagree with him being forced, based on what we were shown...is there any actual reason to be so mortally offended? Because that reads like a major overreaction, and possibly projecting.

You're right, I was overreacting and I would like to apologize to the reviewer for overreacting.

And I probably was projecting. I have some friends who are very similar to Farma. Not to the extremes of working themselves to death, but close enough that when I see people belittle or misconstrueing something like that, I get pissed off.

So, again, I apologize to the reviewer for my overreaction. But I would like them to take a second look at the series, because your initial characterization of Farma seems to be a bit off.

Now whether the series continues to follow the same emotional notes as the first to episodes, we'll just have to wait and see.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Have read some of the original webnovel for this series; I can say this author puts some care and thought into their writing of Pharmacy. The author makes sure to crosscheck and confirm the accuracy of the medical facts used in the story with various medical field professionals and academia, per the authors' notes in fact-heavy chapters.

Another fun fact is that Pharmacy isspoiler[ part of a shared-universe series written by the same author, 1 world within a related scifi-themed multiverse. The multiverse aspect gets more pronounced in the later parts of Pharmacy's story; which I don't think the anime will have time to reach.
https://ncode.syosetu.com/s3387a/]

It also contains an ongoing (but irregularly updated) story that shows what happened to spoiler[the original Falma who transmigrated into the body of 10-yr old Yakutani Kanji, the resident of another parallel universe Japan in 2027. https://ncode.syosetu.com/s3387a/]
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:26 am Reply with quote
I quite like the first 2 episode of this show. It has been delightful to see thought put into people, circumstances and settings. Even with the plot currently non existent past establishing himself in this world so far this care makes it stand out among the bog standard.

I was especially caught up by the lady freaking out in the first episode. That had tension, stakes and meaningful potential places the story could go. I am a little disappointed that Farma didn't have to reason and negotiate with her more then he did as I would have liked to of seen some drama around people who didn't like the MC for logical and acceptable reasons instead of being an arse as most rivals are. But yeah I accept that SOME isekai easy roads are gonna happen with a character possessed by literal god levels of power. I just hope the difficulties of life will remain a factor in the show much like how they enhanced the heck out of Ascendance of a Bookworm and made for an interesting set of plot points in Im Standing on a Million Lives.

Turns out I like well written stories over your average affair that we keep seeing some novel readers hype up only to get Kirito 5000 (looking at you Spirit Chronicles and The 8th Son?)
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
Deleted a double post Smile
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:39 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

It also contains an ongoing (but irregularly updated) story that shows what happened to spoiler[the original Falma who transmigrated into the body of 10-yr old Yakutani Kanji, the resident of another parallel universe Japan in 2027. https://ncode.syosetu.com/s3387a/]

spoiler[I was kind of expecting the story of the original would be a weird mix of the movie "Big" and the show "Scrubs". So I'm surprised to read the summaries of these episodes cause these stories seem pretty wild ]

Going back to the show at hand, I think it's the best new Isekai (I consider "Isekai Ojiisan" as a reverse Isekai) released this season. Granted the only of ones I have watched were "My Isekai Life" and "Isekai Harem", which were both pretty terrible.

So far my favorite scene has been the montage between Falma and Elen, where she tries to teach him, how to contain his powers and Farma just nearly destroying the beach each time, he tries to cast a simple spell. I really like the dynamic between the two of them. I also like how I feel like the overall theme of the show is advocating for Universal Health Care or something to that effect.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The OP features glimpses of Farma in a kind of superhero-looking getup, complete with a face mask and safety goggles. It's pretty adorable, though I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hit a bit different in 2022.

Its a PPE so yeah...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 am Reply with quote
best girl queen is finally here.

i ship her and pharma, as his mental age would make things perfectly fine.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder. I still like the show but at the same time I get the feeling that the show is recognising the stakes that this reincarnated boy is causing but perhaps doesnt want to put time into addressing those stakes fallout. I will watch with interest if the show papers over Farma's relationship with his father, sister, mother and attendants. If it doesnt and continues to address the strangeness of character Farma presents I will offer great respect for the series. If it does cover up in the effort to move plot along I will understand, appreciate the effort already put in and think of it as a B grade version of what the best shows can be.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Very good episode this week. I'm surprised Farma didn't explain why he was covered up to everyone aghast at his appearance. Presumably showing germs would have been the lead up to that...

It is interesting that Farma declared TB to no longer be a threat considering he hasn't yet found a way to make it outside of using his own powers. I wonder if declarative statements like that will find a way to come back to haunt him
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed to learn there is no English release for the LN/Manga. Really enjoying this series, always nice to find a really fun isekai.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I was disappointed to learn there is no English release for the LN/Manga. Really enjoying this series, always nice to find a really fun isekai.

Hopefully this series gets popular enough to be licensed outside japan in book form. Looking forward to the next arc.
Seraph89

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
New episode both added and removed a couple of great things.

spoiler[It added foreshadowing for the first true arc villain and also removed that the rod he touched to be sworn in was a magical testing device which leads to the queen saying he should challenge her for the crown when he's older.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6