• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister! Anime's Video Reveals More Cast, January 2023 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm…can we actually categorize the main character as “transgender” (although I doubt that would matter anything to the plot)? Based on the synopsis, he seems hellbent to “go back”, so as someone who never read the manga (but knows a thing or two thanks to the meme-worthy faces) , my guess would be “probably not”
Kenfra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Just hope this won't mess things up for Mushoku Tensei.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Hmmmm…can we actually categorize the main character as “transgender” (although I doubt that would matter anything to the plot)? Based on the synopsis, he seems hellbent to “go back”, so as someone who never read the manga (but knows a thing or two thanks to the meme-worthy faces) , my guess would be “probably not”

I wouldn't say "hellbent", but anyone trying to find accurate LGBT representation in this will be annoyed and disappointed again.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks about as cute and lewd as I would expect.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I wouldn't say "hellbent", but anyone trying to find accurate LGBT representation in this will be annoyed and disappointed again.

If someone wants an anime about transgenders, they could always watch Hourou Musuko for example.
Joey-XD19202

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05 pm Reply with quote
A new anime made by Studio Bind huh? Interesting. The trailer looked really good too. Gonna give this a watch when it airs.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Always a fan of genderbender stuff. PV looks nicely animated and full of ecchi so I'm in Smile
Blazi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
I still think it's funny as hell that this is Studio Binds 2nd anime, like damn the visuals look great but this? Laughing
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

If someone wants an anime about transgenders, they could always watch Hourou Musuko for example.

It would be *nice if Hourou Musuko is not the only thing that people can find when looking for good transgender representation in anime.

Anyway, I know this is not that anime. Seems like the genderbending is used more as a comedic device. The trailer looks really well animated. Will check it out when it comes out.
xaelcry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:10 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

From what I read that seems like a no.
The gender bender in the story is more of a parody and comedy instead of drama.

Transgender is more of wanting to change physically and mentally, MC has shown none of those.
I have nothing against trans since I'm one myself but ONIMAI probably won't get categorized under any of the LGBTQ umbrellas. It may eventually get it if there's a development in the story (not just Slice of Life) or Onii-san fell in love with someone eg another girl or boy (based on the story a girl is most likely but it'll be romantically in a very subtext way).

"Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to" anime is more of a gender bender trans with a subtle hint if you're looking for that.
Alternatively, the oldest gender bender that might be related to trans and LGBTQ topics is Hourou Musuko and Kashimashi Girls Meet Girl as it does addresses the subject.

Matcha8 wrote:

It would be *nice if Hourou Musuko is not the only thing that people can find when looking for good transgender representation in anime.

Anyway, I know this is not that anime. Seems like the genderbending is used more as a comedic device. The trailer looks really well animated. Will check it out when it comes out.

Man, I sincerely hope that any Japanese overlord would pick "Love Me for Who I Am" and adapt it to anime.
It's rather a very good manga to represent LGBTQ.

[EDIT: Do not double-post. Use the "Edit" button instead. ~Zalis]
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:56 am Reply with quote
The most people on the replies here to be judging him wrong.

This is a cute slice of life and moe manga where an introverted and lonely sad boy learns to enjoy and live the life thanks to share time with his little sister and learns to get along better with his surroundings becoming more sociable and making good friends.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I'm really not sure how I feel about how this PV presents the series. Unless there was more ecchi in the early chapters that I'm forgetting, the bulk of the series is cute slice of life stuff (I was actually kinda surprised to see how wholesome the manga was overall). Not a big fan of how pervy this trailer makes things seem. Especially with the supposed increased bust of a couple characters (Mihari and especially Kaede).
I guess I just hope they stick with the manga's cuteness and don't somehow make the show needlessly ecchi.
The animation looks incredible regardless, so I just want a good, faithful adaptation.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Kalhiki wrote:
Having read the manga, I'm really not sure how I feel about how this PV presents the series. Unless there was more ecchi in the early chapters that I'm forgetting, the bulk of the series is cute slice of life stuff (I was actually kinda surprised to see how wholesome the manga was overall). Not a big fan of how pervy this trailer makes things seem. Especially with the supposed increased bust of a couple characters (Mihari and especially Kaede).
I guess I just hope they stick with the manga's cuteness and don't somehow make the show needlessly ecchi.
The animation looks incredible regardless, so I just want a good, faithful adaptation.

Hadn't watched it before and holy shit what have they done to Kaede?!
For reference, this is what her scenes looked like in the actual manga
https://i.imgur.com/8YxugkB.jpg

Mahiro calls her a gyaru, but that's little more than her just taking care of her looks, not because she's supposed to look like Galko-chan.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Kalhiki wrote:

Well we are dealing with the studio behind Mushoku Tensei here.
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Hadn't watched it before and holy shit what have they done to Kaede?!
For reference, this is what her scenes looked like in the actual manga
https://i.imgur.com/8YxugkB.jpg

Mahiro calls her a gyaru, but that's little more than her just taking care of her looks, not because she's supposed to look like Galko-chan.

I'd be lying if I said I don't prefer the anime version. I'm okay with this change from the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2