• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rent-A-Girlfriend Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
LMAAAAAOOOOO!

How is it that a series that is so hated on can continue to get more seasons?
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
To answer the above question:
1. The people who hate it are actually in a vast minority. Most of us like this trash romcom.
2. Even the people who hate it still hate-watch it.
3. The girls are top tier.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, clearly it's selling very well if it's been going on for this long without being forced to make progress.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, the next arc should actually be very strong with lots of character growth and development. I will go as far and say itll be kanokari at its best. The problem is the reset button they press when it's all done.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
LMAAAAAOOOOO!

How is it that a series that is so hated on can continue to get more seasons?

Many people watch/read it and buy merch for it. Sometimes the most popular stuff gets the most hate because everyone actually knows about it, unlike actual bad series nobody watches and doesn't get a lot of hate.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Well....I certainly predicted this.

Third season will be the movie arc...which is where the manga should have ended.

Sighs. It's downhill from there. BUT if they can condense the hundreds of chapters we don't need into a fourth season and be done with it, that might actually be watchable.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I know the series has it's detractors (some of which for good reason) but the finale for season 2 was really strong and I'm eager to see the story continue into season 3!
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait tor S3, pertaining to the movie arc.
Fugaz-Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I used to be a hater a the beginning of the 2nd season, then I slowly realize that the reason why I hated it and came back was because I actually kind of like it. And I think that is because its realistic, yeah, sounds weird. But not every story is going to be all pink and relatable to us. There are actual people in relationships like this. Yes, most of the characters are trash and selfish, but that's reality.
The dude is pretty much obsessed with a 10, alpha chick who inadvertedly walked into his life, saw and the smallest chance and all he'll do pretty much the lowest of the lowest, even crawl like a worm to get that chick. I think a lot of men would do that... kind of realistic I think Smile
kimripark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
To be honest, I used to be a hater a the beginning of the 2nd season, then I slowly realize that the reason why I hated it and came back was because I actually kind of like it. And I think that is because its realistic, yeah, sounds weird. But not every story is going to be all pink and relatable to us. There are actual people in relationships like this. Yes, most of the characters are trash and selfish, but that's reality.
The dude is pretty much obsessed with a 10, alpha chick who inadvertedly walked into his life, saw and the smallest chance and all he'll do pretty much the lowest of the lowest, even crawl like a worm to get that chick. I think a lot of men would do that... kind of realistic I think Smile

You have a point, and maybe it's the case for some. But for me, the reason I don't like KanoKari is I see myself in Kazuya. It's too painful to watch. I want to watch an anime/read a manga to enjoy...not relive my past and (present). I'm not saying KanoKari is bad, it's just Kazuya is too painfully relatable (in a bad way)
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
I think a lot of men would do that... kind of realistic I think Smile

kimripark wrote:
But for me, the reason I don't like KanoKari is I see myself in Kazuya.

These two points are really interesting. I am not this show's target audience, so I didn't pay much attention to it but I did check out the first episode of S1 and saw right through what is going to happen, thus lost interest. But both of you bring up an interesting point, I may go back and take a look in the future.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:44 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

These two points are really interesting. I am not this show's target audience, so I didn't pay much attention to it but I did check out the first episode of S1 and saw right through what is going to happen, thus lost interest. But both of you bring up an interesting point, I may go back and take a look in the future.

Don't waste your time.

Those who try to reason why this show is hated somehow most of the time derail the conversation to its actual viewers. Somehow they think the male audience is 100% Kazuya or a Kazuya self-inserter that can't handle that he is similar to Kazuya and hate the main character because he is not a Chad. The second wave of this that they can't handle flawed characters, they say. If they are flawed, that's automatically makes them somehow likable and you should turn a blind eye to all the repulsive behavior they are displaying. Sounds convincing, right?

Bull. Shit. How about criticizing that Kazuya spent all of his 1 million yen on a rental girlfriend? How about criticizing that the main couple is still lying about them being a genuine couple to their friends and family? How about criticizing the umpteenth amount of baits about the truth getting out, but of course, nothing happened? How about actually developing your cast instead of doing the same thing over and over again with them?

Kazuya never learns from his mistakes, continues to be obsessed with Chizuru to a point you are convinced Chizuru can do a literal killing spree in town and he would just forgive her and blame himself for everything. In the meantime Chizuru bought of book of mental gymnastics about like-love from A-Z, but the Z is getting closer and closer. They are not compelling, not likable at all unless you are a sucker for cheap emotional manipulation, and just because they are heavily flawed, won't make them good characters.

If anything, the completion fetish of many is the reason this has so many hate-watchers. The show is bad, so naturally they are interested in how badly can it solve the things it set up from the first episode. Chances say it becomes a full shitshow, so they may as well enjoy the hate-ride.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
How about criticizing that Kazuya spent all of his 1 million yen on a rental girlfriend? How about criticizing that the main couple is still lying about them being a genuine couple to their friends and family?

This never actually bothered me that much.

Quote:
How about criticizing the umpteenth amount of baits about the truth getting out, but of course, nothing happened? How about actually developing your cast instead of doing the same thing over and over again with them?

This DOES bother me though. More so in the manga...because of the sheer amount of chapters it happens, compared to episodes of the show.
thepepin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
xxmsxx wrote:

Don't waste your time.

What was the last moderately engaging and somewhat competently executed piece of entertainment that prominently featured young, attractive females to not find some level of success? While pondering this, remember that Baywatch lasted 11 seasons as one of the biggest global hits in history (despite being very questionable on the "moderately engaging and competently executed" parts). So tell us why guys wouldn't watch a show about the misadventures of an everyman and his entanglements with 5 beautiful girls unless it was just flat out bad?

Which this show ... isn't. Has the hook of an offensive and sleazy premise ... that they don't do anything with. The characters have just enough flaws to keep them from being generically bland without making them alienating. Kazuya is frustrating but gains points for being one the rare modern shonen romcom protags who isn't a loner, NEET, otaku or pervert (his having once had a girlfriend is an actual plot point). Even rarer: it is about college students, not middle or high school students. Yes the girls fill out some of the typical stereotypes but thankfully none include "sister", "cousin", "childhood friend" or "violent tsundere" AND not all of them are interested in him romantically. It even manages to have some other young male characters who are not antagonists - or perverts - who have some plot and character relevance.

There are tons of worse contenders for "got extra seasons because streaming companies need content" than this. Season 2 of Peter Grill, anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2