• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideo Kojima, Kazutaka Kodaka Praise Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
If you get praise from any of these men, then you know you've done something right! Very Happy
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Very eager to watch this, but I'm waiting for the final season of Better Call Saul to come out before renewing my Netflix sub.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
If you get praise from any of these men, then you know you've done something right! Very Happy

Kojima also praised Lycoris Recoil, which is a winner. Akudama Drive is awesome. Cyber City Oedo 808 is one of those OVAs that have been on my to-check list for aeons. Since I love Bubblegum Crisis (one of my first anime), it should be up my alley.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I know he's plugging his own thing, but Akudama Drive really is great to watch if you want something else like Cyberpunk. It's also different in ways that I can imagine people who didn't like Cyberpunk might like Akudama.
ColdCase

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi, can someone please explain to me what kojima meant when he talked aboutthe current domestic anime situation and what he meant with consumed by overseas market. Sorry its late and my brain isnt processing very well...thanks for your time
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Kojima shouting out Cyber City Odeo 808 made me smile more than I thought. But yeah, this is high praise indeed.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ColdCase wrote:
Hi, can someone please explain to me what kojima meant when he talked aboutthe current domestic anime situation and what he meant with consumed by overseas market. Sorry its late and my brain isnt processing very well...thanks for your time

He's talking out his arse. He might be talking about how popular anime is now being aimed at an international audience rather than just taking japanese values into consideration, but that wouldn't make sense here because cyberpunk is a collaboration between a polish studio and a japanese studio while being distributed internationally via an american company. So yeah, he's talking out his arse. Don't bother giving it any deep thought.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:56 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
He's talking out his arse. He might be talking about how popular anime is now being aimed at an international audience rather than just taking japanese values into consideration, but that wouldn't make sense here because cyberpunk is a collaboration between a polish studio and a japanese studio while being distributed internationally via an american company. So yeah, he's talking out his arse. Don't bother giving it any deep thought.
Except he's actually not and knows exactly what's going on. The domestic Japanese market for anime is stagnated and has gone down for a while outside of a few hits here and there which keep the numbers afloat. A lot of anime studios nowadays actually operating in red and are in the active searching for other sources of revenues from the international markets (hello Chinese companies) only because primary source of revenues - disc sales - went way down.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Except he's actually not and knows exactly what's going on. The domestic Japanese market for anime is stagnated and has gone down for a while outside of a few hits here and there which keep the numbers afloat. A lot of anime studios nowadays actually operating in red and are in the active searching for other sources of revenues from the international markets (hello Chinese companies) only because primary source of revenues - disc sales - went way down.

Right, now what does any of that have to do with what he said about edgerunners?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Right, now what does any of that have to do with what he said about edgerunners?
Exactly what he says, duh.
Quote:
Under the recent domestic anime situation, there was a feeling that famous Japanese studios were consumed by the overseas market, but not this one!
He was basically afraid that the CDProjekt affect the production process of the show to make it appeal to the West, but somehow Trigger pushed their own narrative (like that time when CDPR tried to cut or change Rebecca), while keeping it as Japanese as possible.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:27 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
Exactly what he says, duh.
Quote:
Under the recent domestic anime situation, there was a feeling that famous Japanese studios were consumed by the overseas market, but not this one!
He was basically afraid that the CDProjekt affect the production process of the show to make it appeal to the West, but somehow Trigger pushed their own narrative (like that time when CDPR tried to cut or change Rebecca), while keeping it as Japanese as possible.

Did you miss the part where edgerunners is a literal collaboration with the west?????? Its not exclusively trigger's narrative, CDPR has to affect the production process because they need to be involved BECAUSE ITS THEIR IP THAT THEY WANT TO MAINTAIN A CONSISTENT NARRATIVE WITH THEIR GAME. And that is not "exactly what he says" DUH. What do you even mean when you say "keeping it as japanese as possible"? do you even know?

And just so you know spoiler[rebecca didn't die because trigger wanter her to].
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Did you miss the part where edgerunners is a literal collaboration with the west?????? Its not exclusively trigger's narrative, CDPR has to affect the production process because they need to be involved BECAUSE ITS THEIR IP THAT THEY WANT TO MAINTAIN A CONSISTENT NARRATIVE WITH THEIR GAME. What do you even mean when you say "keeping it as japanese as possible"? do you even know?
"Collaboration" thing never means how much creative control over production you have, and it ain't even the first time Trigger actually worked with the Western producer at all (they were part of Star Wars: Visions anthology), nor like it's even the first time when anime made out of the western game (Halo? Mass Effect? Dragon Age?). It's the fact that entire series were made by Japanese team outside of concept story and musical score, neither some parts of IP even belong to CDPR at all - like Adam Smasher, who is the part of original Cyberpunk universe.

Also please - even you own the IP, it's entirely up to you to decide do you want to keep it consistent or not when people who are in charge of show creation keep doing the crazy stuff. You don't count something like recent Halo or Resident Evil TV series a perfect adaptation of the games that entirely fits to their universe, right?
ronri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
I see where Kojima's coming from but it's a strange point to make given his position as someone who thrived on Western influences for a lot of his popular works, even specifically catering to an overseas market in his latest video game.

Also given the aforementioned stagnation of the selection of Japanese IPs being adapted into anime, the fact that it's still an adaptation of a Western IP shows that such collaborative efforts aren't always a bad thing, even more so if the studio is given a lot of creative freedom.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I know he's plugging his own thing, but Akudama Drive really is great to watch if you want something else like Cyberpunk. It's also different in ways that I can imagine people who didn't like Cyberpunk might like Akudama.

I definitely enjoyed Akudama more, and felt it did spoiler[a tragic ending in a non-cliched fashion. Felt new and well-earned]. I definitely recommend it for people looking for something in a similar vein.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
Do not forget to be respectful towards other users. Disagreements are common, but remember to keep your cool but at the same time, reply in a respectful and constructive manner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2