• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Daddies (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:22 pm Reply with quote

Buddy Daddies (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: P.A. Works

Genres: action, comedy

Themes: assassins, childcare

Plot Summary: Assassins Kazuki Kurusu and Rei Suwa meet Miri, a girl looking for her father on Christmas Day. Kazuki, Rei, and Miri unexpectedly end up living together.

Air Date & Platform:
January 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really want to like this, because I like Rei and Kazuki and the stuff going on around them, but Miri is so freaking obnoxious she just sours me on the whole thing. Not to mention she acts nothing like a real child. I'll give it a third episode to see if anything changes, but if not, I guess I'm out.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Miri does act like a real child, a child whose parent is lax when it comes to discipline, which isn't surprising when you hear about her mother's lifestyle. I've seen many children her age act just like she does here. About the only part that I feel is a bit unrealistic is the fact that she doesn't seem at all phased by the violence that she's been around.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I can understand somebody being put off by Miri's antics, but i find her cute. I'm more irritated by the stupidity of her "father." You bring her along to the kill site and then you're surprised when a 4-year-old doesn't meekly stay put? Oi. The whole premise is patently ridiculous but I'm just going with it. Don't listen to mean ole auntie Gina, Mira... you just be you!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I've seen many children her age act just like she does here.

And I'd bet those kids feel pretty safe and secure and the center of their universe too. Miri has no reason to feel that way, being alone with two strangers without the presumably indulgent backing of her mother. I've never seen any child of any age when confronted with a total stranger go, "You're my Daddy? Yay, I love you unconditionally!" No child is that instantly accepting unless they feel they have solid backup to turn to, and usually not even then. It takes time to earn any kid's trust. It took Miri a heartbeat or two.

Also no kid would brush off a hail of bullets around them as merely "too loud." Kids just aren't that stupid. They do possess basic survival instincts. Miri has never shown even a trace of fear regardless of what's going on around her. That ain't normal.

So yeah, Miri, mean auntie Gina is very likely outta here. Don't follow her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I really liked this show, although I was dubious on episodes 10 and 11 because they took a Serious Turn that interfered with my enjoyment of the breezy side of the premise which was about two hitmen room-mates who suddenly become Papas to a 4-year-old girl. The hitman stuff came back to the forefront in a way that made me uncomfortable about the implications for sweet little Miri. Anyway, we got past that and fhe finale ended in a way that I'm entirely onboard with. It even had a time jump at the end which sometimes weirds me out but that I was okay with here. I rate this show Good.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
What I really liked about the timeskip was how different the actual teenage Miri turned out versus Kazuki's imagined delinquent teenage Miri!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, I had the same thought. She certainly didn't go "breaking bad."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1