• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

With so many new shows this season, with a personal decision to cut back on watching anime, I had been making decisions to not even pick up the sequel seasons that I wasn't already pretty sure that I would be pretty into (at least until I everything else is manageable). But Nagatoro was something that I was pretty keen to watch, even though I notably wasn't that interested in the second season of Uzaki-chan last Cour.

And no surprise I am already enjoying the new season, in general I do find the characters more interesting. Like in the episode she really was trying to treat him well by having Senpai hang with her friends and feed him, but got jealous when he was going too well with her friends, came across as a dork herself.

Also, the humour that there is a manga that is like them in universe, although is apparently a shoujo manga, and apparently more extreme with actual blackmail.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I was put off by the subtle animation changes.

When Sempai was behind Nagatoro and considering whether or not to call out to her, I thought the joke was that it wasn't her, just someone that looked like her. There was just something off-model to her look. Although that's just the "new model."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ep4- Glad to see that 2nd Attack is the perfect continuation of the show and Dear Sister is a great addition, now we see where Nagatoro gets it...Also at 7:32 when Anetoro has Sempai and Nagatoro standing around the dining room table, when the asks "come on, have a seat" she looks up at the viewer and the next shot she is looking directly at the viewer as if they had just sat down. I initially thought it was supposed to be Sempai's viewpoint, but with that little twist, the animators subtly pull the viewer into the situation. Sly and cute trick...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 am Reply with quote
I would also presume that the type of teasing Nagatoro takes part with her senpai might come from her sister, who Nagatoro looks to have little defenses against. But all the same that there doesn't look to be any hostility there as she otherwise looks pretty friendly together. The sister apparently the one that made her stay the extra day at home, and getting her dessert.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Well that was a nice ending to the season. They went on a date, although Nagatoro is too embarrassed to say it is a real one. But our little senpai had the guts to ask her out on a date, to offer to make her lunch, and gave her a hug after she is not too embarrassed from her friends watching. I would say that there was a lot of improvement here, where senpai went out of his way to be with her, and ironically Nagatoro was almost becoming the bigger obstacle to herself, like when she kept accidentally shotting down the date ideas. Although her hitting him for thinking she would want to see a dog fight.

I enjoyed the season, a bit more than say other similar sequel seasons, although admittedly I do have a lessen of interest anyway. I will give the rating of Very good (8/10). I am sure there are probably ways that it could have been even better.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 am Reply with quote
I also rated this Very good. This has turned out to be one of my favourite romcoms. It's odd, I found two very similar shows, Uzaki-chan and Takagi-san, to be quite boring yet something about this show is really working for me. I don't think this show has phenomenal writing compared to those, just something about Senpai's and Nagatoro's relationship is really enjoyable.

DuskyPredator wrote:
ironically Nagatoro was almost becoming the bigger obstacle to herself, like when she kept accidentally shotting down the date ideas.

I really liked those moments. Nagatoro having to carefully navigate between maintaining her image and finding excuses to spend time with Senpai was funny and endearing.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:28 am Reply with quote
It looks like season 2 might be better than season 1 from the comments but I just couldn’t get through season one. I got half way through the 4th episode. Came to check if what I thought I was seeing and yep it apparently was. The same emotionally torture gag over and over and over with almost nothing to redeem it. I like slice of life and romcom but this came across to me as neither. The insecure Senpai is semi typical but Nagotoro is a creepy, sexualized and manic version of Charlie Brown’s Lucy. Something about her perpetual crazy looks was disturbing rather than funny and the setup for each torture was way too obvious. I’ve seen Abbot and Costello bits with more sophisticated setups.

I really don’t mind brainless romcoms but I want to see some real earnestness not just what amounted to master slave compliance in some reverse pig-tail pulling nightmare. I get where it’s all going but Thr hyper sexual but somehow 3rd grade bullying just wore me out. I’ll go back and try and watch Snafu or one of the other school romcoms.

For those of you who liked it, well it’s all just opinion so different strokes for different folks. Just didn’t work for me at any level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4