• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 11 Volumes by Nene Yukimori)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Pine Jam

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: school

Plot Summary: First year high schooler Junta Shiraishi is a mob character who goes unnoticed even when he's standing right next to you. But his classmate, "heroine-level beauty" Kubo, always notices him and is there to tease him. Anyone can become special to someone, but it might be a little too early to call these feelings "love."

Air Date & Platform:
January 10, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
Epiisode 3

Kubo may not let him be invisible, but she can't stop him from being delayed. After next week's 4th episode, this show disappears until sometime in April and will rebroadcast the first 4 eppies before carrying on. Teasing Master Takagi-san vibes are strong with this one. I'm basically enjoying it but I'm hoping they expand the cast more so that the show doesn't have to lean into its central conceit quite so much.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The announcement said the first 6 episodes would air, and then they'd they repeat them (in Japan) before restarting. So, this begins the break.

Really too bad, despite the competition, I count this as the clear winner of cutest clueless couple of the season. Both are such adorable derps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I'm not quite as enthused about the show but you'll notice I'm still watching. A break is actually fine by me. I do like the leads but I'm just finding things a little too repetitive and there's not enough external stuff to distract me from the repetition. That's what I appreciate about Tomo-chan is a Girl! There's another show with a very limited central premise but there's a number of engaging secondary characters to take the weight off of it. I wish Kubo would do the same.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
PSA: episode 7 of Kubo has finally arrived after a very long time of waiting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Indeed. And it contained some of the classic rom-com tropes: 1) sharing an umbrella 2) calling your crush (even if you don't admit they are your crush) by her first name. I'd forgotten who Saki is, but she's pretty cute. The girls sleepover was cute, too. Call me psychic, but I have a *hunch* that Kubo and Shiraishi won't simply end up in the same class again, but will be sitting side by side. But just to change things up, Kubo might be on his right hand side this time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
I figure one of the girls will be separated. The other classic trick of the "class shuffle" is to introduce new characters. So, hopefully we'll get someone else that can see Shiraishi. Someone to induce Kubo's glorious pouty jealous face even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:04 am Reply with quote
A bit of change could push things forward a bit and a new interesting character is always welcome to change the status quo. Though I am sure that the series will remain very comfy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:02 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I figure one of the girls will be separated. The other classic trick of the "class shuffle" is to introduce new characters. So, hopefully we'll get someone else that can see Shiraishi. Someone to induce Kubo's glorious pouty jealous face even more.

You are delightfully evil, suh! I like it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Spastic Minnow got his wish but it wasn't due to classroom switching or a rival schoolmate at all. No, the agent of Kubo's jealousy was none other than her trampy, drunken sister! Poor old Shiraishi got splashed with some of the estrogeny ire, but thems the risks you take when you hang around a thirsty skirt, amirite, guys???
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 8

Spastic Minnow got his wish but it wasn't due to classroom switching or a rival schoolmate at all. No, the agent of Kubo's jealousy was none other than her trampy, drunken sister! Poor old Shiraishi got splashed with some of the estrogeny ire, but thems the risks you take when you hang around a thirsty skirt, amirite, guys???

Those were some good faces- but it wasn't the 'Glorious pout"
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote
That was another fun episode with a picnic that had a tiny bit of conflict, but mostly comfy vibes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
And that was the final episode of the season. It sucked that it had to restart due to the delay, but it was a good series with plenty of funny and cute moments plus the occasional pouting. Though I still think that the dude angered some god or something and has been cursed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I'm rating this Decent. It was low-key cute but I have to admit, I sometimes found it boring. It was pretty one note and it didn't lean on secondary characters the way some one note shows do. This kind of thing I think works better as a manga chapter that comes out every month as opposed to a weekly 23-ish minute episode. I would have enjoyed this more as a 5-minute per episode short.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:59 am Reply with quote
Maybe my Very Good is a bit more than it deserves, but I simply liked the characters. She wasn't too perfect and never too harsh in her "teasing," he wasn't too pathetic. The final episode had very nice "small" moments. Kubo blushing at Shiraishi merely acknowledging her appropriately, then Shiraishi tearing up at being remembered on his birthday.

It does seem "barely started" though, and without any big hooks, without the extremes of the other shows competing for second seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if this is all we ever get. It does look like the manga series is being released here, I guess I'll have to look for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1