• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vinland Saga (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Considering how long ago the first season aired, it might as well have been on another planet considering all that has happened in the intervening period. Still, I'm glad to see this franchise get another season.

Then again, viewers wouldn't have recognised this as a continuation of the first season after the pilot episode. We are introduced to Einar, a Northern England farmer who has suffered the fate of many of his people during the late Viking Age. It is only midway through the episode that some semblance of continuity with the previous season is established with Leif Erikson once again making a cameo appearance.

Eventually Einar is bought by Kteil, a landowner with a considerable estate not too dissimilar to that of Einar's own homestead before the raid. I cannot tell where Kteil is from based on his name, while the terrain of his holdings resembles Northern England but obviously isn't. It's probably not the mythical Vinland that Thorfinn has been dreaming of for years, but superficially it's close enough. As for Thorfinn himself, working in such an environment is a big change from his previous lifestyle as one of Askeladd's pirates. We don't know what Kteil is like as a master, but viewers should find out soon enough.

Einar is shown prominently in the new season's OP and ED, so what role he plays in Thorfinn's story in this season is one to watch. Einar being the narrator of this season's tale is another change in pace, as it was Thorfinn who was the protagonist in the first season. Too early to tell what's happened since we last saw Thorfinn, so hopefully the next few episodes will shed more light on how much time has passed and where exactly Thorfinn and Einar are.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So happy this awesome show is back. Einer's story is a reminder of how badly life could suck in this time period. Imagine going through rebuilding your village once only to have it sacked again and this time lose your mother and sister and become a slave. Oi. Anyway, hugely looking forward to the continuing adventures of Thorfinn.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 am Reply with quote
S2, 1:

Mfw I finally saw Leif Erikson. I actually felt it when he missed the slaveowner who has Thorfinn.

Man, MAPPA and Wit Studio are not joking around with Vinland Saga. Production values are through the roof, and I feel like they are taking a slightly different approach with the storytelling. The first season felt more action with drama, but this time, it's more slow-burn with more attention to atmosphere and world-building. The show is clearly telling you that it aims to tell you an epic saga (dingdingding!).

If anything, I'm worried for MAPPA. They have AoT, JJK and now this on their platter, all within this year, and I think the staff are going to be burnt out at this rate.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:51 pm Reply with quote

So Einar and Thorfinn are working on a Danish homesteader's holdings. In return for clearing a forest and turning it into a wheat field, they will be offered the chance to buy back their freedom with the fruits of their labours, no matter how long it takes. In theory it's a good deal and much better than what other slaves would be offered at the time, but in reality it means even if their freedom is bought they are still beholden to Ktell as they have no land of their own and end up being tenanted farmers. So from slavery to serfdom, although in fairness to Ktell he's not a cruel master and actually pitches in with his workforce during harvest season.

Thorfinn was sold into slavery after the failed rebellion at Sven's court (word about Sven's death has yet to reach Denmark, surprisingly enough). He looks like he's lost all hope and is doing what he's been told by Ktell as a way to pass the time and to forget what he's been through. Einar's arrival might bring about change, as his tale about being hounded by both the English and the Danes reminds Thorfinn of his own experience after he was brought into England against his will.

Olmar is very much like Thorfinn was when he was a boy. Although in Olmar's case he's much older, even less likely to be a warrior than Thorfinn was and has too good an inheritance compared to young Thorfinn (bigger landholdings and no threat of invasion). Like Thorfinn before him, he doesn't know what he's giving up for the chance of adventure, and whether or not he'll learn that lesson the hard way remains to be seen.

Although Ktell is a decent landowner, his freedmen and retainers are typical of this era. Thorfinn has resigned himself to getting along with it as it means less trouble for him, but I don't think he's forgotten his old skills as a pirate and if next week's trailer is any indication it appears he'll get the chance to surprise those who think he's an easy mark.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
S2, 2:

If Thorfinn seems very passive and defeated, it's only natural. Given how he lost his chance to exact revenge on Askeladd, he essentially lost his only purpose in life and is just going through the motions of making sure he stays alive. The only question now is, how did he end up becoming a slave after what happened at the end of the first season?

The important thing to take note is that Canute is the king of England, but according to history, he eventually became the king of Denmark and Norway as well. Not exactly sure where we are in the timeline now, but I suppose we're in the midst of Canute wanting to extend his conquest to other parts of Scandinavia. Olmar wants to serve the king (hopefully), so it's pretty destined that Thorfinn (and Einar) will reunite with Canute one way or another.

We will just have to see how events will unfold.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote
S2, 3:

As expected, Thorfinn's passive because he has lost any reason to live. He's alive only because he's going through the motions of living. I guess in this arc, it's about Thorfinn (and Einar) gaining their freedom. From there, I can guess it's going to be a longgg story.

Interesting side note though: I was wondering why a North Englander like Einar bear a Norse name. Now I know. Interesting history lesson.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, Fox and Badger are quite the pair of dicks. It was nice to see Fox get punched in the face.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote

Nothing much happens this episode, it's only towards the end that it feels like the episode actually meant something, especially when its title doesn't hold any meaning until the context is made clear right at the very end.

So Einar is one of the descendants of the Great Heathen Army who moved in to settle after the invaders had taken Northumbria for themselves through conquest. He's bilingual, speaking Old English and Norse with an accent is something which marks him out since many slaves to the Danish homesteader won't speak more than one language without a specific background. The girl he's got his eyes on is technically available, but he's going to have to work hard to win his freedom first. Assuming he's still alive now that he's involved with Thorfinn.

Thorfinn literally stood still and took the cuts, even losing part of his ear. Not a surprise given how often he's faced death in his pirate career. He would have just died there had the Snake not intervened, as I imagine he's suspected Thorfinn isn't what he seems. He's already broken the Fox's nose and cost him a tooth, and if next episode is any indication he's forced Thorfinn to actually defend himself. I wonder what part in this tale he plays, since the Snake is featured in the OP.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote

Snake is very much in the same mould as Thorfinn's father Thors and Ashkeladd; he has the ability to intimidate his foes to the point where they either fight or flee. Thorfinn stopped running from battles after his first kill, so his natural reaction is to fight. It proves Snake's point, while he realises Thorfinn is much stronger than the other guests give him credit for. He'll keep the secret for now, but who knows what else Snake might have planned for Thorfinn now that he realises he's strong?

The meat of the episode isn't actually the fight scene, but what comes after Einar learns about Thorfinn's past. The nightmare scene and Einar's own struggle with his emotions are dialled up for maximum dramatic effect; the only part of that scene which felt off was Einar's attempted suffocation. Einar's no warrior, but he's a farmhand with some muscle on him and I find it hard to believe Thorfinn shrugged off the lack of oxygen as the trigger for his nightmare.

Scenes like that are few and far between for this series, but it's another reason why viewers keep coming back for more as the franchise does build up its important cast members through moments like these. Speaking of which, Cnut is back in the picture with Thorkell as well. Perhaps the prince/king is looking for Thorfinn now for answers?
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:28 pm Reply with quote
S2, 4:

I have to say, the show is really taking its time in developing the story. S1 was way faster with the plot, and the story was more focused on the action and strategizing. This time, it's more of a slowburn, with the show concentrating more on the emotional aspect of war. War action versus war drama, so to speak.

I was wondering when the show is going to pick up with the war action, until I see Canute at the end. How glad I am that we finally get to see him along with the others, including Thorkell. Especially Thorkell.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm surprised at this episode. It actually summarises the years between Sweyn Forkbeard's sudden death in York to Canute's accession as the last Great Danish King of England in just one episode. The consequences of this means it's hard to imagine how Canute will be involved in Thorfinn's story moving forward since Thorfinn is now in Denmark as a slave, which Canute is not yet King of. Canute played a secondary but important role in this story as one of the few significant historical figures of this period, so if he's finished his journey to King of England how does this tie in with the times he shared with Thorfinn and Ashkeladd?

Thorkell makes a short cameo in this episode, but it's a cameo that will disappoint viewers who are used to seeing him on screen smashing everyone and everything for extended periods of time. Here he only throws a tantrum at being deprived of his prize when ravaging Mercia, but the scene is significant since he is made to regret his words when his subordinate at the end reminds him of how long it took for Canute to finish what his father had started. Turns out the "kid" he disparaged in Mercia walked the Bismarck path all the way to the end and became King, so he loses out on a lifetime of warmongering since England is now pacified. Unless Canute does what his father proposed and goes to Wales (or elsewhere), Thorkell is out of a job and he knows it.

As viewers we are not told whether this episode's sequence of events occurred simultaneously while Thorfinn was shipped off to Denmark as a slave, but in all likelihood it should be since both Thorfinn and Canute visibly age as their episodes air from start to finish. So around three years for Thorfinn as Ktell's slave, but that makes Olmar's comment about King Harald more interesting since that would imply the Danish siblings are facing off against each other very soon in Thorfinn's timeline.

No complaints about Canute's characterization by the end of this episode. What a change from the indecisive pacifist who Askeladd temporarily had charge of back in episode one. He definitely looks and acts the part as King of England by the end, as he's learned that a ruthless streak is required if he wants to rule as a just King who wants the best for his realm's Christian souls. I do not expect Thorfinn and Canute to meet again, but it would be interesting to see from Thorfinn's perspective how much Canute had changed since the two last met.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
S2, 5:

Thorkell is the Hulk that every King would like to have.

The story basically sped through Canute's ascension to the throne as the King of England, and we can attribute that to the time leap from when King Sweyn was killed to Canute's final hurdle to get rid of Ethelred and Edmund. He will eventually conquer other Scandinavian countries, but let's see if the story will also cover that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The consequences of this means it's hard to imagine how Canute will be involved in Thorfinn's story moving forward since Thorfinn is now in Denmark as a slave

Thanks for this. I've wondered where Thorfinn and Einar are. I thought about going back to the end of last season to see whether we saw anything of the events leading up to episode one of this season. I thought it was possible they were in England working as slaves to a Danish settler.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:52 pm Reply with quote
@ yuna49 - I did exactly that and there is no indication of how Thorfinn went from the end of episode 24 of season 1 to being a slave in Denmark. Presumably, that will be filled in for us in upcoming episodes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Thanks for this. I've wondered where Thorfinn and Einar are. I thought about going back to the end of last season to see whether we saw anything of the events leading up to episode one of this season. I thought it was possible they were in England working as slaves to a Danish settler.

Episode 1:
Ktell brings Einar to shore on a Viking longboat. Saxons wouldn't use their enemy's boats as they have their own, even if they've been living with and fighting against the Danes and Norse since the 8th century.

Episode 2:
Olmar: I'm going to England soon. I'll make sure of it.
If he's in England, he wouldn't say he's going there.
Also, Olmar is more obviously a Nordic name than Ktell is.

Episode 3:
Arnheid: (You're from) England? You speak the language (Norse) so well, I thought you were Norse.
Einar: Everyone in my village including myself is of Nordic descent. We can all speak Old English and Norse. It's hard for you to understand me because of my thick accent.
Again, if they were in England she wouldn't be surprised he was from the same country they were in. Also, he's speaking (heavily accented) Norse to her, which would be less likely if they were in England especially as Einar can speak both Norse and Old English.

There's enough clues in previous episodes to indicate Thorfinn and Einar are NOT in England. That leaves Scandinavia as the only other place where they might be in. There isn't anything which definitely indicates they are in Denmark right now, but it's more likely they are there as Norway is not yet under the control of Cnut and Danish homesteaders buying slaves from England to bring back to Denmark to work is not completely inconceivable (after all Sveyn Forkbeard brought a huge army by ship from Denmark). Sweden is not involved in English affairs during this period, so viewers can safely rule out the location being in Sweden. Same for Finland. They're definitely not in Iceland, as Thorfinn would react more differently if he had "returned home", and it's also unlikely as Iceland at this point is a settler's colony and doesn't have wheat fields anyway because of its climate and terrain.

Another left-field guess on the location would be the Scottish Highlands and Western Islands, which at this point are under Norse control. I think it unlikely, simply because wheat fields of the scale of Ktell's homestead wouldn't be possible there because of climate and terrain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11