• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Twilight of the Dark Master

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
it looks intresting, will have to find it and see for myself. of course i like the darker wierder anime too
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, in a way, Urban Vision's kind of like Streamline that tried to reestablish itself for the "new generation" or anime releases but kind of just faded out.

I've seen this flick and it was.....freaky.

Definitely an interesting showing and it's at least checking out once.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wow. I just finished watching this about half an hour ago. Yeah, it made little sense. I think it would have made almost as much sense if I turned the subtitles off. I was hoping for a good 90's splatterfest with some cool badass gorily offing badguys and monsters and badguys feasting on and slaughtering innocents (also with gore, of course). I good give a crap about the incoherent plot and half-dimensional characters if it had that. Unfortunately, it disappointed there too. It was sadly lacking in the flesh-tearing and seedy sex.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
I can't believe anyone else knows about this title besides me lol. I bought this back in the day at same time I bought Dark Side Blues. I must say this was the better if the two dvds though. Both had weak plots but as Justin said at least Twilight was visually appealing for it's time. I also found a similarity in the look between Shijo and D but that might just be me. Huzzah though for random old dvd purchases heh.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
I saw this movie on the list of trailers for that old Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals anime on VHS. I didn't think too much of it at first. My brother thought it was cool though (still wants to see it too).
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Sort of surprised this UV title made it in before either Pet Shop of Horrors or Wicked City. I mean, there's little redeeming value outside of the art and atmosphere. Me thinks Justin just has a thing for the evil vagina monster.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
I had this movie on tape and played it so much the tape burned up. I then came across it at NYAF and picked it up on DVD for an amazing 3.99. Its finally nice to see something in this column that I already own. I've always liked the seedier, darker anime titles of this era and this is no exception. But I'm a fan of older anime titles in general anyway.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Sort of surprised this UV title made it in before either Pet Shop of Horrors or Wicked City. I mean, there's little redeeming value outside of the art and atmosphere. Me thinks Justin just has a thing for the evil vagina monster.

Is there an evil peen monster too? Well that's another thing crossed off of my list of questions I thought I'd never ask.
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm.... You actually liked this one? I tried a few times over the years but really couldn't sit through it. Always turned me off for some reason. Guess I'll have to dig it out and try again.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I am surprised to see this title listed here as well. Clearly we don't all have the same tastes, but no part of this ever connected with me. I don't recall this looking particularly decent, but it has been a long time since I have seen it. Thanks to the bizarre "evil vagina monster" as someone else put it, it is a show you don't easily forget seeing, which is a far cry from making it memorable for good reasons though.
I didn't really care for this show.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
I saw this yrs ago on tv (Starz? Action?) & enjoyed it enough to buy it. Its moody enough & very Japanese to me so I enjoy it for the foreign flavor. (Very Japanese meaning not a rip of the latest Hollywood popular flick).
A lot of the older titles aimed at the Japanese market DON't feel the need to explain everything & anything. Look at DBZ. I watch most anime in English with the subtitles up & DBZ would always send me clicking because suddenly we're getting a huge amount of dialogue in English with no subtitles-Oh, they aren't saying anything in the original dub. It's just the American licensee obviously assuming the American audience is more stupid than Japanese children of a decade earlier & need to be told every minute detail that is coming down.
What ever happened to figuring stuff out oneself? Things understood so they can be left unsaid?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this title a few times and thought the dvd cover was cool. But then I'd read the plot summary and think, naah. After reading this, I might pick it up next time I get a chance.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The original manga is also out from DMP.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree on Twilight being entertaining yet hollow. However, I've always thought that Akiyuki Shinbo's true masterpiece of vapid excess is The SoulTaker. It's silly, gaudy and even dull at times, but the art direction and superhero overkill are amazing.

Shinbo's doing better nowadays, I think, what with Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei and all.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
As a Shinbo fan, I've always intended to check out that title but never got around to it because it looked like one of his "normal" shows, i.e. one where he doesn't use or over-use his flashy, gimmicky style , as in LYRICAL NANOHA or HIDAMARI SKETCH. But the review has gotten me very interested in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2