• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Eva Sketches Online

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bakafool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:16 am Reply with quote
Not bad. This is very doable, but it's one heck of a huge project. CG cities are now easy to make, but how will they manage to make the EVA come to life? hmm .... and what's up with those plug suits, they look different. Oh yeah, one more thing, Rei's hair in the movie should definitely be blue.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:57 am Reply with quote
Heh, how forgiving of you.

They change the names?? Are you sure they are who they are? Speculation has it those may be the artist's names. I really don't know, but they better not be rewriting that drastically. x_x;;;;

I'll watch and buy it no matter what though x_x. Hopefully it isn't so bad that I have to change my mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
It will be quite controversial if they change the names. It will be even more controversial if they don’t write a better ending that isn’t some insane hallucination. "And maybe some more fanservice!" Rolling Eyes
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
"West Side Story" changed all the names and settings from "Romeo and Juliet" but managed to still be a decent show. Plus being this early in prodcution a lot of things are still going to change, some back towards the anime and others farther away.

So long as we don't see the Shinji-character over the Asuka-character's comatose body, I'll be happy.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Why is it when people bring this thing up the majority of complaints are names and hair colour?!? I mean c'mon. Does it REALLY matter what they're called, as long as their characters are the same?? And really... why on EARTH should Rei's hair be blue?? Besides old ladies at the laundromat how many (non-punk) young girls do you know that have BLUE hair? I would figure people would be more worried about what they were going to do to the story characters rather than what they were going to call them or what colour hair they'll have or if the plug-suits will look the same.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
"West Side Story" changed all the names and settings from "Romeo and Juliet" but managed to still be a decent show. Plus being this early in prodcution a lot of things are still going to change, some back towards the anime and others farther away.

So long as we don't see the Shinji-character over the Asuka-character's comatose body, I'll be happy.
Yeah but wouldn't you want to see the Asuka-character's body being eaten by maggots in live action?

Me neither. Rolling Eyes
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website] is saying that it's the name of the artists. Can anyone confirm or is everything still speculation?
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
curiousgeorge wrote:
[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website] is saying that it's the name of the artists. Can anyone confirm or is everything still speculation?

Speculation, and it is wrong. When you are doing production artwork sheets you have those white squares in the corners. The format for them are: Production [title of movie/show/etc], Description [usually the name of the character/item], Sheet Number, and Artist.

The Asuka and Rei sheets are done by the same artist, whereas the Misato sheet is done by another artist. Unforetunately, the pictures are too low resolution, so I can't make out the names on the sheets.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
Why is it when people bring this thing up the majority of complaints are names and hair colour?!? I mean c'mon. Does it REALLY matter what they're called, as long as their characters are the same?? And really... why on EARTH should Rei's hair be blue?? Besides old ladies at the laundromat how many (non-punk) young girls do you know that have BLUE hair? I would figure people would be more worried about what they were going to do to the story characters rather than what they were going to call them or what colour hair they'll have or if the plug-suits will look the same.

I agree with this. Hair colour and names, once you get down to it, are really trivial points. The story and how the characters act are infinitely more important, and we won't find out a single thing about either of those aspects until months from now (perhaps years, but hopefully not). If you ask me, it'd be best for everyone who's already whining to just shut up until some more worthwhile information comes down the pipe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

I agree with this. Hair colour and names, once you get down to it, are really trivial points. The story and how the characters act are infinitely more important, and we won't find out a single thing about either of those aspects until months from now (perhaps years, but hopefully not). If you ask me, it'd be best for everyone who's already whining to just shut up until some more worthwhile information comes down the pipe.
Well if these are the just the storyboard schetches they are subject to change without notice, but if they are done to the virtual likeness of the signed actress then that's what they will eventually look like. IF is only two letters but such a big word. Wink
dmr456

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
LOL!!!!!!

Funniest Sh*t I heard all day...

To think they actually thought changing the names wouldn't be considered racists. Just exactly who are they marketing this idea to?

Whatever. This is plagerism at it's best. But then again, who can blame an industry where originality and creativity are things of the past.

Rolling Eyes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well if these are the just the storyboard schetches they are subject to change without notice, but if they are done to the virtual likeness of the signed actress then that's what they will eventually look like. IF is only two letters but such a big word. Wink

Let's get one thing straight here...

Storyboard: Series of sketches done of a movie in-production, which show camera position, timing, etc. Visualisations of the script used to aid production crew.

Concept Sketch: Drawings that show early ideas for sets, creatures, costumes, etc. Are often done before a film reaches production, are often changed several times on the way to becoming the final product.

In other words, what we have now are by no means storyboards. We're a long way from that stage. We're also a long way from the cast even being selected, or the script being finalized. Yet another reason for all the people bitching at this point to shut up, because all the so-called "drastic" changes (if you can call changing a characters hair colour "drastic" Rolling Eyes ) are by no means final & definitive.

And dmr, please enlighten us as to just how two companies that own the legal rights to a franchise are plagiarising it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Kate Rose is actually the costume designer, not the character.
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Zeus wrote:
Kate Rose is actually the costume designer, not the character.

Highly plausable that it isnt Kate Rose, the costume designer, seeing how Weta Workshop is based in New Zealand, and Kate Rose is a costume designer in Poland.

Secondly, the name Kate Rose is placed in the information section regulated for the name of the image. The artist Ben Wootten included the name of the characters on both of his production sketches [Ray and Kate], whereas Greg Broadmore did not include the charcter name [Susan] in his production sketch.
Ryw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If I don't hear another thing about the movie until it comes out(or doesn't at all for that matter), I'll be a happy man. All this speculation just kinda makes me sick....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4