• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Soul Rescue GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Another questionable release from Tokyopop. Why bother to bring over an utterly unfinished story? They did the same thing with Rose Hip Rose, but at least that has Rose Hip Zero to back it up. Maybe the license was part of some bundle deal...

Anyway, Soul Rescue doesn't sound too interesting from the review. I've got Soul Eater -- not to mention Bleach -- to read instead.
Pandy Wandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Soul Rescue appealed to me, along with Viz's release of Blank Slate in November, due to Aya Kanno. I am anxiously awaiting Otomen in February. It does indeed feel like the story could go on in Soul Rescue, but I got the impression that Kanno's editor(s) pulled the plug somewhere in volume two and she had to pull something together last minute.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Despite the name, Hana to Yume isn't as stereotypically "pure-shoujo" as you might expect. Hakusensha also publishes Lala, which is, but some of the stuff that runs in Hana to Yume's a bit... I'm not sure how to describe it, "oh, that ran in Hana to Yume? That's... not surprising, now that I think of it". I mean, years ago, but Sukeban Deka.

Haven't seen this work, though.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I have both volumes, and it's nice, light and fun enough, with some decent stories, and Super DJ God. The designs in heaven are pretty funny indeed Smile Aya Kanno's art is quite nice, so I look forward to what VIZ is importing of hers [which looks to be more shojo, but with nice twists]

Why import such a short series? Well, it's short. Less committment for the publisher, and for the readers. I find it nice to take on a 2 or 3 or even 1 volume series, as they're easy to collect, and add more to my reading diversity without asking me to pledge myself to it for all eternity.....
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I also own the two volumes of this series and I was sad to find out that there wasn't any more volumes. It's pretty light and airy; the relationship between Renji and his semi-guardian (who's name escapes me) is funny and dynamic.

I remember reading the premise for this series and 10,000 souls is a lot. Since the series ends short, it leaves your mind wondering what would happen to Renji after all 10,000 souls were saved. I (as a fanfic writer) like to dream about all the possibilities. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1