• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yaoi Generation Adds Chifumi Ochi's breath Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cetriya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
another yaoi only company to start and fail...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It depends on their business practices.
Drama Queen rarely released stuff, but licensed about 100 titles. I was suspicious of any business able to survive following that model. The other one that folded recently was OEL stuff.
Net & DMP have done pretty well with a heavy yaoi content. I like the titles I've picked up from Deux (is that it? Think so.) It'd be nice if Broccoli released the yaoi titles they've promised us.
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
another yaoi only company to start and fail...

Considering that yaoi is niche, and technically only 3 companies dedicated solely to producing it have actually bit the dust...I wouldn't make comments that seem to indicate a 'failing trend' here. Very Happy

How many mainstream manga publishers have come and gone and failed because they didn't have a larger publishing company in the background to keep their cash fires stoked?

Iris went under not because there's a lack of market for GloBL, but because they had business issues. [Yaoi Press is still doing well, why shouldn't Yaoi Generation combine GloBL and Japan licenses?] and June/DMP will flourish because of co-branding.

+Dramaqueen's suffered from lack of corporate structure.
+BLU is in slow mo because of their parent companies recent fiscal implosion.
+Be Beautiful never recovered from the Biblos bankruptcy and subsequent issues with Libra; they also hindered themselves by choosing to remain overpriced with average production values.

OT: As for all the other 'yaoi' licenses that never came to fruition...those seem to be from mainstream manga publishers looking to start up token yaoi lines in an attempt to tap into the market, a market that they're mostly out of touch with. :/

Very Happy I'm looking forward to Yaoi Gen and hope they have what it takes [like a nice financial backer] to keep them hanging in there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1