• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bob Sapp to Fight Kinnikuman Cosplayer Next Week

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
this is FREAKIN AMAZING!!!! Cannot wait, GO MANTARO!
gohmifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
This is among the most random things I have ever seen. Is Sapp even still popular in Japan? The last I had heard of him was about his cameo in the Devilman movie.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Takashi Shimada and Yoshinori Nakai's wrestling comedy manga, Viz Media released in North America as Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy. (4Kids released the anime version as simply Ultimate Muscle.)

I'm pretty sure that 4Kids also called it "Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy", but only referred to it during TV commercials and other promotions as "Ultimate Muscle" because the full title is a mouthful. Anyway, I'd like to see this fight myself, but only if that cosplayer can somehow hit Sapp with the Kinniku Buster.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
I hope someone youtubes that gimmick. You just know it's gonna be a draw, though. I only hope it doesn't get too hot for the cosplayer with that mask on...
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
I so want to see a repeat of the Crocop match, I know it wont happen but that fight showed just how important accuracy in striking is. Sapp was about 58kg heavier than Crocop and Crocop KO'ed him with one perfect shot.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
gohmifune wrote:
This is among the most random things I have ever seen. Is Sapp even still popular in Japan? The last I had heard of him was about his cameo in the Devilman movie.

Better yet, is Mantaro even still popular in Japan? Didn't the show not perform as well as expected? Seems like he's still being regularly out-shined by his father and hasn't really caught on the same way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
Emerje: I'm guessing the Japanese stopped liking the series around the last volume released here. All I gotta say about that one is Most Disappointing Fight Ever.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
This match sounds like the best thing since this epic battle took place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
I've been chalking this up to the business model of Japanese fight promotions. This isn't the only "freakshow" on the card. Hong Man Choi vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic features a 7'2" Korean celeb-athlete versus a guy with a couple of bad loses in recent years. On the other hand, Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki and "JZ" Calvancante vs. Joachim Hansen are top notch, relevant fights. Those four are all top ten, or contenders for top 10 in their weight classes

This seems to be another facet of a quality that many admire in anime/manga. A work like Fullmetal Alchemist is not strictly light-hearted, or strictly serious. It features elements of both. I don't think an American audience would put up with this mix of serious fights and circus, but Japanese fight fans accept it the way anime fans accept something like Fullmetal Alchemist.

At the same time, Japanese combat sports have long been tied to pro-wrestling, and pro-wrestling has had ties to anime/manga. After all, Jushin Thunder Liger and Big Van Vader were characters developed by Go Nagai.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
This freakshow is on the same card as Alvarez/Aoki? What the hell FEG? I guess crap like this is why Akiyama wants to go to Sengoku and Ishii would rather fight in the UFC. I feel sick just hearing about it.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm Surprised HUSTLE isn't doing this match, but with their problems with their parents company I heard Sapp ended up leaving there. Still, brings up memories of Scott Norton V/S Sgt. frog.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
He achieved more than minor celebrity status in Japan. There was a good two year stretch where you couldn't turn the channel without seeing him in either a commercial or on a variety show. (Or very rarely, getting his butt kicked in a K-1 fight).

-Tofu
kinniku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
it wont be as cool as the time time kotaro suzuki wrestled as kevin mask but still cool
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see the point in all this, other than a gimmick. All the dude will have to do is turn the mask around so he can't see. No need to use real martial artists in this, because it is an act predetermined anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
For a time Sapp and K-1 had parted ways due to contract disagreements. Fortunately though within the past year it was reported that they had reconciled on the issue, and now Sapp is back with K-1. He has always been popular in Japan, the way he did it though was with K-1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2