• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Guys n' gals, I want the "Lelouche vs. Johan" discussion to end (for now). It's premature, and a distraction.

Besides, it's not yet a foregone conclusion that Johan will win; he only has a 13-9 advantage. Granted, it seems likely that he's going to win, but we've already had one vote change, so that lead is hardly insurmountable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Vote change: Johan -> Goto
Liviu-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
I can't understand why people are switching votes from Johan to Goto. It's not like someone said a really good argument in his favor and against Johan. Only abunai said something but that doesn't seem to be enough for a vote change and more people said things in Johan's favour. So why the vote changes?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Dorcas, but for me, it's because the right people have expressed their favor for Goto. I've seen neither series so I have no first hand experience with either, and the people I'm listening to are people who ones whose opinions I've agreed with more than infrequently in the past.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Group C-29
Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Lupin, Lupin III franchise [ Video Clip ]

This one's pretty easy. Lelouch wins hands down. I can see the allure of Lupin. The series is pretty entertaining in it's own quarky 70's way. But Lupin really is more of a James Bond type character and I certainly don't see Bond as particularly smart. Lelouch uses his mind and is soft on the physical side. Lupin is the opposite. The intriguing mind wins.

Group C-30
Kiichi Goto, Patlabor franchise [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster [ Video Clip ]

This really is a joke. Goto may be smart, but he certainly doesn't display it much, if at all in the series. Some have said that his intelligence is a more hidden subtle kind. Well that doesn't cut it for me. I want to see some ingenious plans or masterful leadership/manipulative/raw intelligence. I skimmed nearly every episode to the end and I never saw anything, except the contents of the first video clip (and then only slightly), which lead me to believe he was intelligent at all. And against competition such as Johan... please.

abunai wrote:
But imagine a matchup with Goto, who has the skills of both Lunge and Tenma, and I believe Johan would meet his match.

Are you kidding? Johan would eat Goto for breakfast. He'd have him so confused and manipulated out of his mind that he would probably murder his whole team and that would be the end of that. He'd break... Smile

abunai wrote:
And then he solves whatever problem is before him, with an ease that makes it seem almost like a coincidence. It would be easy to dismiss one or two of his solutions as simple luck, but he does it time and time again.

Besides what's been presented in the video clips, name a scene...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
abunai wrote:
And then he solves whatever problem is before him, with an ease that makes it seem almost like a coincidence. It would be easy to dismiss one or two of his solutions as simple luck, but he does it time and time again.

Besides what's been presented in the video clips, name a scene...

The latter stages of the second movie, for one. Goto is the one who pieces together spoiler[the whole grand "destabilize the government" scheme] based on only scraps of information. If he can accomplish that under the circumstances under which he has to operate, then he could figure out anything that Johan could throw at him. Johan's brilliant, but Goto is too easy to underestimate because of his seemingly laconic attitude. That would be Johan's fatal mistake.

Honestly, I haven't seen a whole lot of the TV series, but Goto definitely shows his brains in the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
This really is a joke. Goto may be smart, but he certainly doesn't display it much, if at all in the series. Some have said that his intelligence is a more hidden subtle kind. Well that doesn't cut it for me. I want to see some ingenious plans or masterful leadership/manipulative/raw intelligence. I skimmed nearly every episode to the end and I never saw anything, except the contents of the first video clip (and then only slightly), which lead me to believe he was intelligent at all. And against competition such as Johan... please.

Goto strikes me as the character who trips up schemers such as Johan, Light, Lelouch or what have you simply because he'd think outside of the box. Schemers tend to take their plans too seriously and are unnecessarily complex (Johan certainly isn't exempted). Goto would see this and throw them for a loop with some common sense, because he wouldn't get caught up in the mind-set of their games.

That's the way I see him, in any case. I've mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I know the type personally, which might make me biased. However, there is no denying the surprise you feel each time this lazy, laid-back and compulsively work-avoiding person suddenly comes out with something incredibly smart or well put-together. Schemers are a dime a dozen; guys like Goto backstab you with their complacency.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Partly I changed my vote because people making the assumption that Johan was the winner was irritating me, and also that it seems that of the people who have seen both Patlabor and Monster, there's a slight advantage for Goto (although I could be wrong on that).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
It's midnight and my last choice to make the Finals is now canned. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Group C is now closed.

Final results can be found here. All-in-all, a fairly competitive round. I honestly never expected Goto to actually give Johan a run for his money, and am quite pleased that he only came up three votes short. (Though I still think he should have won. . .)

Final group of Round 4 should be up in a few minutes. At the end of this round I will do updated power rankings for the survivors.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Group D is now closed.

Last group for this round!

Once again, thanks to ccdx for the video clips. If anyone wishes to recommend a clip for a survivor of the 4th round, please PM them to him ASAP.

Guide: Group D Guide

Group D-29
Light Yagami, Death Note [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Washu Hakubi, Tenchi Muyo! franchise [ Video Clip* ]

* - Notice: This clip does contain some nudity.

Winner: Light
Total: 12-6

Group D-30
Maximilien Robespierre, Le Chevalier d'Eon [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Aramaki
Total: 17-1

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Since I have time, I'll vote early again.

Group D-29
vs.

Boy, I am seriously tempted to vote for Washu here despite her inferior video clip compared to Light's. She was, after all, a prominent figure in the Galaxy Academy before being kicked out for designing universe-destroying weapons, she's created interdimensional pockets, sentient life forms, time machines, other ridiculous weapons, and developed a method for physically de-aging herself, as well as one-upping Dr. Clay. However, I'm still going with Light for now, for reasons the video should make clear. (Yeah, it's overblown and tacky, but also a great illustration of the war of minds in the series.)

Group D-30
vs.

I dearly hope this one is a total blow-out because, despite me being a big fan of Le Chevalier, in no way, shape, or form should Robespierre still be in the tournament at this point. As masterminds go, he is a decidedly lesser one who only squeaked in this far due to weak competition. Aramaki, as the clip shows, is not weak competition.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Match D-29: Light Yagami (Death Note)
While Washu has far greater raw intelligence, she does have morality with how far she goes with her experiments whereas Light does all he can to pick off people who dare to investigate him as Kira. Not to mention I could find myself being manipulated far more easily by Light than by Washu.

Match D-30: The Chief (Ghost in the Shell)
I'd like to see a Light-Aramaki match for the Quarter-Finals. But to go seriously with my vote, there are more areas of expertise that Aramaki seems to have with his brains than what I've heard of from Robespierre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Voting for: Light

Reason: There are several characters in this round I would have picked over Light, but I can't vote for Washu over Light even though I enjoyed her character more. Hopefully the cheif makes it to the next round, as I think that would end Light's run.

Group D-30
vs.

Voting for: Aramaki

Reason: Unlike several characters who have survived this long, the chief has no real weakness. He is the master when it comes to leadership, politics, tactics, and even when it seems like he is trapped, he always turns it to his advantage. He is one of the strongest in the entire tournament in my opinion.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Light Yagami, Death Note vs.
Washu Hakubi, Tenchi Muyo franchise
Voting For: Washu Hakubi
Reason: she created two of the most powerful space ships in the universe, created one of the most powerful beings in the universe. To put it bluntly anyone who votes for Light has never seen the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.
Possibility of Change: None

Group D-30
Maximillien Robespierre, Le Chevalier d'Eon vs.
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise
Voting For: Aramaki
Reason: wins by default since I have never seen the other series.
Possibility of Change: None

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 90