• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakugan Nominated for Toy Franchise, Boy Toy of the Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else have a giggle fit at the title of the article, or is it just silly, immature me?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh no, I totally smirked a bit.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
It's articles like this that make me wonder if I missed my calling. I could be out there reporting on news about anime based on children's (insert gimmicky toy) games here. Um...

...yay?
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
boy toy of the year........... really........ they couldn't come up with a better name......
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm not very surprised, due to its popularity in North America.

I'm honestly a little surprised that Bakugan turned out to be "the next Beyblade." Maybe it was a given, seeing as Idaten Jump failed horribly, but I never expected it to do so well. I first realized its current success during a random visit to Wal-Mart. When I went to the checkout counter, I saw a sign saying "Bakugan - Limited to two per person." I was flabbergasted, to say the least.

Here's a question, though: why do they say it's Cartoon Network's franchise, when it's owned by Nelvana? Confused Bakugan got its North American start in Canada, as well.

Julia-the-Great wrote:
Did anyone else have a giggle fit at the title of the article, or is it just silly, immature me?

While I didn't have a giggle fit, I sure got a good chuckle out of it. Razz
luhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
If this is so popular, why does Cartoon Network show it at 6:30 in the morning? You'd think they would pair it up with Naruto or something.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
If this is so popular, why does Cartoon Network show it at 6:30 in the morning? You'd think they would pair it up with Naruto or something.

That's just the rebroadcast, it also airs at 11am on Saturdays. 6:30am on weekdays is actually a good time slot, it's just early enough for kids to catch before taking off for school. I know when I was a kid that was a popular for me to catch G.I.Joe before school.

I'm not too surprised that Bakugan took off the way it did, the line has a lot going for it. The toys are small, portable, collectible, playable, assembly free, and transform. I hear from some adults that the game is actually kinda fun to play too without being too deep like some card games can be. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Here's a question, though: why do they say it's Cartoon Network's franchise, when it's owned by Nelvana? Confused Bakugan got its North American start in Canada, as well.

Cartoon Network has the merchandising rights to the show.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Boy-toy of the year sounds a bit...silly.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering just how bad the rest of the toys have to be to be beaten by BizaroBayblade over here.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The competition consists mostly of vehicle-to-robot toys, children's card games, and games and toys that teach kids about cockfighting.

...yeah, no wonder it got nominated, right? Rolling Eyes
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
2010 can't come fast enough for us to get Metal Fight Beyblade. Gosh Darn It I want my Beyblading Dog Animated and airing on YTV already!

SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Cartoon Network has the merchandising rights to the show.

In the United States.

Nelvana sold off the rights to Warner in the US.

AFAIK Nelvana still retains the worldwide rights to Bakugan's anime, and anime related merchandising. Spin Master takes care of the game.

Also Buster- It became the new Beyblade because of Nelvana. When someone gives their stuff a shot in the US, it tends to do well. DI Gata hasn't gotten that shot with 4Kids yet though...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
My sister's collecting the BK toys right now.

Apparently it's really big at her school right now. She's been trading the toys and even the girls are into it.

Gee, slipped my notice. Unlike the previous franchises, though, I don't think the TV show took off as well. My sister doesn't watch it certainly, and she said none of the other kids do, but they like those cute little unfolding battle droid things. It's a neat little toy, I'll give it that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Apparently it's really big at her school right now. She's been trading the toys and even the girls are into it.

Gee, slipped my notice. Unlike the previous franchises, though, I don't think the TV show took off as well. My sister doesn't watch it certainly, and she said none of the other kids do, but they like those cute little unfolding battle droid things. It's a neat little toy, I'll give it that.

I've been telling people that too since I noticed that the kids don't even know what's happening with the show, so who cares how it's badly dubbed. And the toys and the game seem girl-friendly, unlike card-based games.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I've been telling people that too since I noticed that the kids don't even know what's happening with the show, so who cares how it's badly dubbed. And the toys and the game seem girl-friendly, unlike card-based games.

You're implying that children's card games aren't female-centric? What a shocking revelation.

But yeah, now all we need is a line of Bakugan blow-up dolls -- there you'd have your real boy "toys". Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2