• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Spinoff Seikishi's 2nd Anime Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Tee hee, I saw all this new stuff when I checked on the site earlier today and I was wondering if ANN would report on it! Love the new look and content of the site, even though I can't read anything (except for the random English/Engrish and the characters on the front page that say Tenchi Muyo!, heh heh). Wish I could understand the gist of what the blond and the redhead are saying to each other in the second promo video. Poor Kenshi, he got whupped by a strange girl on a strange world. Very Happy He seemed a bit more willing to fight in order to defend himself (with a weapon no less) than either Tenchi or Seina did at the beginning of their respective series (*laughs while remembering Tenchi running away from Ryoko at his school*). In fact, he looks like a little tough guy that you don't want to mess with. Wonder if Tenchi or Tenchi's grandpa taught him some moves?

The first time I watched the second promo, I was pretty focused on the characters, but then when I watched it a second time, I was suddenly struck by how fast the clouds and a moon were moving in the sky behind the characters. Makes me wonder if it's just the way they decided to animate it for a dramatic effect, or if that is a sci-fi element in that parallel world of Geminar. It also made me think of AIC's Seikishi page where they only have one picture of a building with the sky changing colors in the background. That would be kind of cool if the sky changed into different colors over the course of a day on a sci-fi world, not that there's any evidence that that will happen in Seikishi. I like the way they designed the dragon-humonaid shapes of the mecha, too. Rather different from the mecha that appeared in Dual! and GXP....

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
I wish Kajishima would let the Tenchi franchise die already. I mean, he already battered it with that third Tenchi OVA.

Who knows, though. This may actually be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'd rather him wrap up the story with OAVs and call it a day.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I'd rather him wrap up the story with OAVs and call it a day.

I'd prefer him to apologize for the third one and do another one that ignores it completely. With my luck, though, it'd end up worse.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish Kajishima would let the Tenchi franchise die already. I mean, he already battered it with that third Tenchi OVA.

*Hears weeping. Goes to investigate and sees that tin holding Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 has tears running down its side. Pats tin on its head.*

"There, there. I know you're upset, but it can't be helped. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they feel that they must express it in almost the exact same way over and over again when the subject of the article isn't even focused on you. But that doesn't really matter since I love you for revealing that spoiler[Tenchi's momma was as nuts as the women that make up his 'family' and that Tenchi's a pretty powerful being and that] Ryo-Ohki will always be super kawaii, etc. So don't worry your pretty little head. I'm sure that someday soon you'll have Seikishi to keep you company on the shelf. You two will be like siblings. Like Tenchi and Kenshi. Like Ryo-Ohki and Fuku."

*Tin quiets down and dries its tears, then gives a closed-eyed anime smile, kind of like this: Anime smile, while happily meowing like Ryo-Ohki*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I can't even find every volume of the original Tenchi OVA. Not without buying that really expensive boxset. I've got volumes 1,2, and 4 of the individual release, but the third is difficult to find at any resonable price.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah hope this doesn't suck like the third OVA series did. As long what's he's name the creator of Tenchi series tones down on the high intellical stuff and keep it simple then maybe there's a chance this series will be fun to follow.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Yeah hope this doesn't suck like the third OVA series did. As long what's he's name the creator of Tenchi series tones down on the high intellical stuff and keep it simple then maybe there's a chance this series will be fun to follow.

I didn't find anything "intellectual" about that third OVA. I thought it dumbed everything down and wasted the viewer's time by crowbarring pointless characters from Kajishima's Tenchi novels and largely ignoring the main players.
Shadow_s_Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

I didn't find anything "intellectual" about that third OVA. I thought it dumbed everything down and wasted the viewer's time by crowbarring pointless characters from Kajishima's Tenchi novels and largely ignoring the main players.

Penguin, why don't you do everybody a favoir and just GO WAY. You hobby of bashing Kajishima-sensei is getting very tedious, and frankly ruins mine and others enjoyment of ANN. In fact, you are getting so bad I am thinking about asking you be blackballed. I know this has not stop you in the past, but it might slow you down.

As for OVA 3, you obviously don't get it, the OVAs are intended to not be some grand adventure you can sink your mind in, it was slices of live outside the big battles. These are the type of stories Kajishima-sensei want to write about. Take a look at Dual, and GPX, 90% of those story had nothing to do with fighting, and everything to do with day to day events.

As for Kajishima latest work, odds are it will be another Harem comedy, the type you hate so much. Therefore I again ask you ignore it and go somewhere else and stop your trolling.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
Shadow_s_Writer wrote:
, why don't you do everybody a favoir and just GO WAY. You hobby of bashing Kajishima-sensei is getting very tedious

I have other hobbies, too. Want to see my crappy sprite comics? The collection of penguin stuff?

Seriously, though. It's not as though I can't support my objections to Kajishima's butchering of his own work. I'm not just saying this to rile people up, I actually believe it's quite tragic what's happened to Tenchi Muyo.

Quote:
In fact, you are getting so bad I am thinking about asking you be blackballed.

My, my. I didn't realize you had so much pull here at ANN.

Quote:
As for OVA 3, you obviously don't get it, the OVAs are intended to not be some grand adventure you can sink your mind in, it was slices of live outside the big battles. These are the type of stories Kajishima-sensei want to write about. Take a look at Dual, and GPX, 90% of those story had nothing to do with fighting, and everything to do with day to day events.

If it isn't meant to be some grand adventure, why would Kajishima attempt to fast track those elements in the last couple of episodes of the third OVA? He seemed to have little trouble balancing his science fiction story elements with his harem comedy elements in the first two OVAs.

And, I would argue, that quite a few people agree with me on my assessment of the third OVA. It was just not that good, and sort of put the first two in a bad light.

I apologize if I seem like I'm trolling, but trolling implies the intent to say things without reason, which I am not doing. Even so, I will step away from this topic, as to not be excessive.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
Let's see, by my reckoning, Tenchi's about 32 with this anime. *lol* Oh man, I hope he and some of the others at least get a cameo at the beginning. It would be interesting to see everyone 15-years after GXP (though they should all be on Jurai by this time).
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad others disliked the Ryo-oki OVA. I just got a really good deal on the full Tenchi Universe set of DVDs, which I loved as a kid, and was a bit worried I'd wasted my money since I disliked Ryo-oki OVA so much.

Oh yeah, and, NOT ANOTHER TENCHI SPINOFF. I've been saying that since Tenchi in Tokyo ended. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You hobby of bashing Kajishima-sensei is getting very tedious, and frankly ruins mine and others enjoyment of ANN. In fact, you are getting so bad I am thinking about asking you be blackballed.

Ohnoes, opinions! Anyway, I never saw the third OVA so nothing to say on that front. However, Tenchi GXP was one of the worst steaming piles I've ever seen.

Still, I love Tenchi, and when I saw the name of this article I was excited (since I'd never heard of the show before). Reading it? Not so much. While the art looks nice (Aside from Kenshi, who looks like a complete tool), this doesn't look like a Tenchi series at all! Fantasy? WTF.

This just screams "Let's make this totally generic series and bank on a name everyone loves to make it sell."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's got different tastes. Although, I thought GXP was great (let's hear it for the "all of them" harem option!), I'm still with Penguin on this one. Go back and re-do the last DVD, of Ryo-Ohki, then we can talk about new projects.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Who knows, though. This may actually be good.

ARE YOU KIDDING??? That series was fun to watch.If you meant the tokyo series,then i would agree,but the OVA versions was really fun to watch and answered some questions that nagged me and some fans for a while.Also loved the GXP series which was kinda funnier than the OVA,but not better. Hopefully this series will have the same humurous harem style from the OVA and decent storyline like in dual which made the two series popular in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2