• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimi ni Todoke Shōjo Manga to be Adapted into Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This has piqued my interest in the manga when Viz releases it. I'll be sure to check it out.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet, but this announcement has me quite interested. I think this series is going to be adorable and fun.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So is this basically The Wallflower with less "Queer Eye"-esque, horribly drawn bishounen running around telling the girl what to do? I couldn't stand Wallflower just because of that horrendous art. This seems a bit more promising, if only stylistically!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this, if not anything else the manga won and handful of awards, so maybe the anime too will be good, at least. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
So is this basically The Wallflower with less "Queer Eye"-esque, horribly drawn bishounen running around telling the girl what to do? I couldn't stand Wallflower just because of that horrendous art. This seems a bit more promising, if only stylistically!

Uh, I rather like the art for The Wallflower. Since I regard/treat it as a parody on the "Beautify the Beast" plot, I liked how outrageously "Visual-kei" the boys were drawn. Plus, it provided a nice contrast for chibi Sunako and all the horror elements.

I like the art for Kimi ni Todoke as well, but I really like when mangaka exagerate/parody features of their genre, especially in shojo.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Aside from the basic premise of "girl who looks like Sadako" the two go in pretty different directions. Sawako has a really sweet, adorable personality and the other characters (including both guys and girls, unlike the reverse-harem-focused Wallflower) are also really enjoyable and refreshing. The story is a lot more "everyday/real(ish)-life" drama, rather than parody and outrageous situations/characters (not that those are bad things, but just to state the differences).
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Iiinteresting! Surprised I'll be keeping an eye on this one, then!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Hikari06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Very Happy From What I've read of this so far, it's really good. It's nice to see more shoujo being animated, but especially when it comes from such good source material.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
YES!!! My dreams came true!! So now not only a drama but an anime! This can't get any better!! Anime hyper Definitely buying myself a copy of the manga in july! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Emichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite manga series, so I am ridiculously excited about this~ Smile I can't wait!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
This has piqued my interest in the manga when Viz releases it. I'll be sure to check it out.

Same here. Anime hyper
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for romantic stories, so if the anime should make it here, I may check it out. I do have to agree that Wallflower is just weird. The androgyny of the men gives me the heebie-jeebies.

The only amusing thing about that series' promo poster is the girl dressed up like Death in the background. Hee hee.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
This is a really good manga, I hope a good studio gets it.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm always willing to give anything shoujo a chance, so I look forward to its debut.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I just started reading it. Oh man, I am so looking forward to both this anime and the Viz release. This is among the sweetest gems I've come across in years! I've connected with Sawako's experiences so much. I can remember my own struggles in school trying to find my niche group and dealing with a crush, though it seems far more sympathetic when seen from a girl's POV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1