• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Remastered DBZ to Be Called Dragon Ball Kai

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad they're not calling it Evolution to cash in on the film. Rolling Eyes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation picks it up. DBZ (even in countless releases and re-releases) still holds to be one of their hottest properties.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, Toshio Furukawa, the voice of Piccolo, voiced Kai Shiden in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Dragon Ball Z Kai Shiden!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for a trailer!

I wonder about the episode count for this one and the staff involved. The Jump special staff seemed quite capable, so I hope tht they signed them up.

April can't come soon enough.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
It sounded like these HD masters are somehow different from the ones Funimation commissioned a while back. I can't help but feel for them. They probably paid for something they didn't have to (or at least more than they had to). Now they get the joy of inevitably using the Japanese remastered footage and again having to retime all of the voices to the footage for the Bluray boxsets. o.O So much work each time they redo the same show. How Sisyphean ...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
April will see a flood of
a) Higurashi MADs set to "Head cha la"
b) DBZ MADs set to both Higurashi's seasons op's
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is back and better than ever in HD, even with re-recorded voices, but this is still the same Dragon Ball we've all seen before
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I hope Funimation picks it up. DBZ (even in countless releases and re-releases) still holds to be one of their hottest properties.

Same here. I know I'd love to see DBZ with new, polished animation. Anime hyper
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Is KAI written as 改 or in katakana?
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kai~ I actually thought it said Higurashi Kai for a moment. -shot-

Conan-san wrote:
April will see a flood of
a) Higurashi MADs set to "Head cha la"
b) DBZ MADs set to both Higurashi's seasons op's

xD That's what I'm thinking too.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
It sounded like these HD masters are somehow different from the ones Funimation commissioned a while back. I can't help but feel for them. They probably paid for something they didn't have to (or at least more than they had to). Now they get the joy of inevitably using the Japanese remastered footage and again having to retime all of the voices to the footage for the Bluray boxsets. o.O So much work each time they redo the same show. How Sisyphean ...

Haven't you guys learned by now that it isn't just American companies that screw people? Toei's very accomplished with this! Just ask both ADV and Funimation! Laughing

It's not just consumers that get double-dipped! (Of course, the mere fact fans line up to buy something for the 3rd or 4th time says that Toei's not far off in its thinking on how they can nickel-and-dime people for the twentieth time! If fans didn't line up to be screwed in the first place...!)

Btw, redoing and remastering footage -- old hat.

Toei is just milking Dragon Ball for all its worth. It's not like this hasn't happened with Star Wars (LucasFilm), Star Trek (Paramount), Gundam (Sunrise/Bandai), Macross (Big West/Studio Nue), and just about anything that's been popular and periodically revived...

Hey, as long as people think they're going to see improvement and enjoy a show that much more -- even though the differences may really be minor in the big scheme of things -- they're going to go ahead and spend their cash on it.

Once was enough for me as far as Dragon Ball was concerned. Somebody else can enjoy it for the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 20th time...
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Can't wait for a trailer!

I wonder about the episode count for this one and the staff involved. The Jump special staff seemed quite capable, so I hope tht they signed them up.

April can't come soon enough.

The word I've been hearing is that it will be more in the ballpark of 100 episodes or so (down from 291). Which would be AWESOME. Can you imagine, a DBZ with reasonable non-hilarious pacing?

That it's being given a new title seems like a good sign to me that the talk of the massively reduced episode count may indeed be true.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="GeorgeC"]
vtnwesley wrote:
Hey, as long as people think they're going to see improvement and enjoy a show that much more -- even though the differences may really be minor in the big scheme of things -- they're going to go ahead and spend their cash on it.

Once was enough for me as far as Dragon Ball was concerned. Somebody else can enjoy it for the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 20th time...

This is why I wasn't that big into it at all. Wouldn't mind seeing at least one episode to see what's being done with it, but other than that, I'd rather appreciate what I saw of it before and live with it.
Paludis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Is KAI written as 改 or in katakana?

http://temple-knights.com/archives/2009/02/dragon-ball-kai.html
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just glad they're not calling it Evolution to cash in on the film. Rolling Eyes

Nevertheless, I personally suspect that it's the very reason why this so-called "remastered" edition is being done in the first place: as a tie-in intended to cash in on said film (that said, since the movie is purely American made, I also suspect that this "remastered" edition of Dragon Ball Z is being done for the "benefit" of American viewers [read: as a way to insult their intelligence] even though it's airing in Japan first).

In any event, I would personally rather have an R1 DVD of the retranslated/subtitled "Pilaf arc" since, when you think about it, it's really the only one--manga or anime--that actually "counts" (Toriyama originally wanted to end the manga right there, but he ended up compromising his own artistic integrity because Shueisha wanted the manga to continue). Oh, and I'm aware of the Lion's Gate issue.

Going back to "Dragon Ball Kai", with this airing in Japan in April just after the movie's release. I really don't think that this is a coincidence. I'm also beginning to wonder if Toriyama sold out (or even if it was his call in the first place)...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2