• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The first anime never asserted that the Lior people were Ishbalan. They were simply dark-skinned people who looked somewhat similar, which, as Scar pointed out, made them easier for the government to trample over.

That sort of reminds me of that bit later in the first series where Edward tells the Ishbalan children that he's somewhat afraid of them because of their dark skin and red eyes, but he knows it's wrong, and just as that's wrong, so is it for them to discriminate against the outcast man with the facial tattoo (though that guy doesn't look like he's ever showered in his life, I'd stay away from him, too). That was a good moment in that series.

But enough about the first series!

For the people watching this as it airs, this week's episode of Brotherhood will broadcast a half hour later than usual. The official Japanese website said this in the news section. That's 5:30 PM Japan time, which is 4:30 AM EST in the U.S.

It's the Nina episode! Woof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I just got finished watching the first three episodes of the new anime. As someone that loved the first anime, I'm...very nervous about this one. I've never been able to get into the manga version (I like that the older series is darker and not typical shounen, so the manga is a tough read to me), but I've really wanted to give this series a chance, so now that I have some free time I headed over to Funimation's site to see it. My thoughts so far:

-The new opening and ending themes are PERFECT. I love the music, I love the lyrics, I love almost all of the animation in them (the ending theme's crayon-drawings in particular made me squee like a fangirl). I can see myself watching this series just so I could watch them over and over again.

-I wasn't crazy about how the first episode was so fanservice-y, but I still grinned and laughed at every in-joke like a lemming anyway. Was Armstrong that creepy/gay in the manga, though? I don't remember being so...weirded out by him.

-The "manga-y" humor scenes are a mixed bag to me. Sometimes they make me laugh out loud, sometimes they just irk me. It really bugs me that they tend to keep DRAMATIC music playing during those scenes with their cartoony sound effects, too...it's just jarring. (Outside of that, though, I love the new score.)

-Second episode was way too rushed, but I still loved watching it. I actually preferred the gate scenes to the original anime--they're not quite as emotional this time around, but Truth was CREEPY AS HELL. I was shivering while watching most of those scenes. It was nice to see the "fire in his eyes" scene, too--I don't recall that line being in the first anime (although I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've seen the anime or read the manga).

-Third episode was...ugh. I liked some of the split-screen stuff, when things were actually moving, but when it was just still frames being split screen it just made me wonder why I wasn't reading a manga instead. And Hulk!Carmello bugged me so much I was yelling "OH COME ON" at my computer screen. It didn't make the fight scene more epic or exciting, it just shattered my suspension of disbelief and took me out of the action. NOT a good move.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this series and it's making me feel fangirly, but I do have issues with it. I'm also not at all looking forward to next episode--the Nina episodes in the original anime are some of my favorites, and when I got to the same scene in the manga I was REALLY disappointed with how it was handled, so...the fact that this will probably be "closer" to the manga version doesn't interest me at all. The fact that this will probably also be rushed through and lose some of its emotional impact makes me almost dread seeing the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blueshift

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I think we're missing a possibility here. Perhaps the writers don't want to completely follow page for page the first fma for obvious reasons
1. Many have seen it
2. The first version expressed the emotion and meaning so well in certain parts, that it would be foolish to attempt a better version.

I want to also say that this might benefit fans of the mange/1st anime for the sole reason that we will probably get to the "new stuff"
sooner because of the pace.. To me these first episodes+ are like recap episodes , a service for those who haven't seen the first anime.
Imagine getting to episode 30+ ( i forget where the fma1 turned away from the manga storyline) in only 20 episodes. What were seeing now i believe to be a balance at appeasing newcomers and oldcomers...Since the first fma ventured away from the manga, we all need our fma universe realigned.. this is what i hope the're thinking, in regards to the pace, and i am thinking that maybe when
we get to the new stuff the pace will smooth out and this anime will really give us that taste of a sequel that many of us for years have been wanting.

ps. does anyone wannt to refresh my memory when the first fma starts to venture away from the manga plot?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Blueshift wrote:
I think we're missing a possibility here. Perhaps the writers don't want to completely follow page for page the first fma for obvious reasons
1. Many have seen it
2. The first version expressed the emotion and meaning so well in certain parts, that it would be foolish to attempt a better version.

I think your second point is true and may play into their decision somewhat, but I think the main reason is simply that many people have already seen it and they want to get to the new material as soon as possible.

Quote:
ps. does anyone wannt to refresh my memory when the first fma starts to venture away from the manga plot?

The first series roughly followed the manga but it was making changes to how things played out since the very first episodes. The investigation of the abandoned laboratory around the halfway point is where it completely diverges from the manga.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

-Third episode was...ugh. I liked some of the split-screen stuff, when things were actually moving, but when it was just still frames being split screen it just made me wonder why I wasn't reading a manga instead. And Hulk!Carmello bugged me so much I was yelling "OH COME ON" at my computer screen. It didn't make the fight scene more epic or exciting, it just shattered my suspension of disbelief and took me out of the action. NOT a good move.

The split screens really bothered me, too. I thought that was a bad choice of animation. It sort of reminded me of some Naruto scenes where they would carry the split screen to extremes, and it annoyed me.

Hulk/Cornello was... eh. Could've done without the body morph.

Enjoying the series so far, but showing this episode third instead of first lost a lot of the impact spoiler[(e.g. the lion biting Ed's leg/arm, etc.)].

Not looking forward to the next episode, that is seriously one of the most agonizing episodes of any anime out there.
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the different take on the series, and the directors style is intriguing. I'll reserve judgment on a whole until it's over, as I'm curious how he plans to handle it in the long run.

If anything, I'm happy to see someone try to do a different spin on the series. From Episode 1, I didn't expect this series to pick up for another 15 to 20 episodes. The first episode I saw of the original FMA was the Fullmetal Vs. Flame episode, and that's what hooked me to it. And that was an episode of pure fanservice and humor. I watched the series from there then went back and saw the original episodes.

I enjoy a cinematic feel to a series. The more cinematic, the more I enjoy it. The biggest problem with the split screen is that not only does it make it feel too much like a comic book, but also that the series hasn't used it before in any other episode, making the transition jarring. The audience has had no time to get used to the usage of split screen camera direction.

I don't believe the director is trying to outdo the original series at all. Do I love it; not yet, well, somewhat. But it seems like the ones giving the most hate are the ones expecting the anime to follow the footsteps of the preceding anime and I think those people will be in for a major disappointment. But life is full of disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I think Fullmetal vs Flame was my first episode, too! I'm actually sort of glad it was my first--it took the first series a little bit to get going, too. Same with the dub, Vic didn't really seem to get comfortable with Ed until several episodes in, I thought. (It'll be interesting if having a full series with the character under his belt will change his performance in the early episodes--assuming he's in the dub for Brotherhood, but I can't imagine why he wouldn't be.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I watched the first 3 episodes now. It's been a while since I've read any of the early manga chapters or seen the first series, so my memories of both are a bit vague.

Regarding the first episode, I wasn't a huge fan. I thought Isaac was way too powerful for a one-shot character like that, and it was kind of a weird way to start the series. I understand a lot of this was fanservice, but I think they should try to make this series appealing to those who haven't read the manga or seen the first series too, and I don't think this episode was the best introduction for people like that.

Plus, with the anime-only first episode they have somewhat ominous tones about spoiler[Bradley in the very first episode as a result. If I recall correctly, it was a while before you realized he was that bad of a villian in the manga. The first big hint occured in the big Ishbalan flashback right?] So that's unfortunate for those not familiar with the first anime or the manga.

Second episode, not bad, I liked the scene with the entity in the gate. The episode felt a bit rushed though. I know some people have suggested they are trying to hurry and get to the point where the manga and first anime diverge completely, for the benifit of those who have seen the first series. And while that is understandable, it's still somewhat unfortunate. There are enough differences between the anime and manga even early on where I think if they simply slowed down a bit the episodes would still be enjoyable for those who have seen the first series, while also being far better for those who haven't.

Third episode was a bit better than expected, considering it did the whole Lyore thing in a single episode, it didn't feel as rushed as I thought it would. I know from skimming this thread that everyone is going on about the "hulk", but it wasn't that bad. Still, there were some cool scenes from the manga that I wished could have been included.

As far as more general things go, I like the opening music a lot, and the overall soundtrack is fairly nice, though it's hard to judge too much from just three episodes. Animation seems ok, but I've never been a good judge of that.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Just rewatched the 3rd episode at Funi's website, and I remembered how annoying the split screening was - usually that's a technique used more during dramatic moments, but this director seems to just use it to make scenes with a lot of talking seem more...action-y? Anyways, I hope it doesn't carry on like that.

Also, I know this is just nitpicking now, but did anybody else find it really dumb/out of character for Al to tell Rose that Ed is the one she should be pointing the gun at? Anime hyper; I mean, he didn't say it directly, but I think Al is smart enough to realize what correcting her in that situation would lead to =P And that was just an example of out of place humor, imo.

I haven't commented on the OP or ED yet, either Surprised Might as well use this post to get everything off my chest XP Anyways, I love them both, I think they're some of the best FMA has ever had. There's just one part at the beginning of the OP that makes me laugh - anybody else get a heavy boy-band-music-video vibe when Ed is walking through the field and does his 'clap my hands and splay them out towards the "camera"' move? I keep waiting for Al and Roy to pop up and follow suit in the background - it's like jazz hands(or, dare I say, spirit fingers?) for alchemists, or something Anime hyper

Absolutely love the part where Ed gets his arm and leg taken off and Al disappears, though. The music goes along with it very nicely, too. And the ED is just way too cute. I love the cat that pops out of Al's helmet, haha.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

Also, I know this is just nitpicking now, but did anybody else find it really dumb/out of character for Al to tell Rose that Ed is the one she should be pointing the gun at? Anime hyper; I mean, he didn't say it directly, but I think Al is smart enough to realize what correcting her in that situation would lead to =P And that was just an example of out of place humor, imo.

Although I am sure it was not meant to be taken seriously, yes I agree it was out of character. This is what happens when anime studios add in their own scenes that are not in the source material. They make characters act OOC (even if it is just a comedy scene.)
However in the manga the characters are always consistent, there are rules of the world that are never broken, and there are no plot holes. But even adding in a simple scene that is not in the manga can change that in this new series. Okay yes I am being a bit over dramatic as it is not even a huge deal but I still think it should be pointed out.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
There's just one part at the beginning of the OP that makes me laugh - anybody else get a heavy boy-band-music-video vibe when Ed is walking through the field and does his 'clap my hands and splay them out towards the "camera"' move? I keep waiting for Al and Roy to pop up and follow suit in the background - it's like jazz hands(or, dare I say, spirit fingers?) for alchemists, or something Anime hyper

I didn't think "jazz hands" but I did think "THE POWER OF CHRIS COMPELS YOU!" Which is...weird, considering that Ed's an Atheist. I love the rest of the OP, but I laugh every time I see that because it's so...odd.

Quote:
Absolutely love the part where Ed gets his arm and leg taken off and Al disappears, though. The music goes along with it very nicely, too. And the ED is just way too cute. I love the cat that pops out of Al's helmet, haha.

The part with Ed losing his limbs and Al disappearing is my favorite part in the new OP. It really summerizes their sacrifice in a few images very quickly, and it's animated to match perfectly with the music. And the ED still makes me squeal over how cute it is.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
There's just one part at the beginning of the OP that makes me laugh - anybody else get a heavy boy-band-music-video vibe when Ed is walking through the field and does his 'clap my hands and splay them out towards the "camera"' move? I keep waiting for Al and Roy to pop up and follow suit in the background - it's like jazz hands(or, dare I say, spirit fingers?) for alchemists, or something Anime hyper

I didn't think "jazz hands" but I did think "THE POWER OF CHRIS COMPELS YOU!" Which is...weird, considering that Ed's an Atheist. I love the rest of the OP, but I laugh every time I see that because it's so...odd.

Interestingly, in the manga, the fact that spoiler[Ed looks like he's praying when he's about to do alchemy was specifically mentioned by a character, if I recall correctly, so that impression of the opening may not have been entirely unintentional.]
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

For the people watching this as it airs, this week's episode of Brotherhood will broadcast a half hour later than usual. The official Japanese website said this in the news section. That's 5:30 PM Japan time, which is 4:30 AM EST in the U.S.

Maybe this applied only to the Tokyo/Kanto region? Because I just watched the Nina episode at 5pm Japan Time in Nagoya. (Maybe there was a baseball game or something being broadcast in the Kanto region).

Anyways, I went into this episode expecting to be disappointed in how the Nina story would be handled in comparison to the original anime, but ended up pleasantly surprised at how much they managed to fit into one episode and still hit that emotional spot. For once, I thought that Brotherhood's more humorous tone actually added to the storyline, since the scenes of innocent Nina romping around with her dog, Al, and Ed (w/much visual humor, etc.) in the beginning of the episode make the ending scene seem that much darker in contrast. Almost to make up for Nina's shortened screen time in this series (and thus greater risk of not getting viewer emotional investment), they spend every scene with her in it emphasizing how cuuuute she is, how much she loves her father, etc. It's kind of akin to hitting the viewer over the head with this character portrayal, but I think it was a necessary device in order to get the same emotional resonance in only one episode.

I am looking forward to finally getting to the point when the original anime and manga split off in this new series, since I’m tired of mentally comparing the original anime storyline to the new series. (I know I shouldn’t, but I can’t help it! Razz)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I heard the time change starts next week actually

Anyways finally an episode that met my expectations and you know why this episode worked? Instead of trying to adapt 2 chapters into 1 episode (like they did with episodes 2 & 3) they adapted 1 chapter into 1 episode. This is exactly how it should be based on the length of the manga chapters (which average about 40 pages). It's not the added humor in Brotherhood that was the issue it's the fact that they rush through things so quickly that they don't give the emotional scenes time to sink in. I am very glad they gave Nina a full episode and in the end both the humorous and dramatic scenes worked well (I didn't even mind the anime only scenes they added into this one).

Unfortunately it looks like they are back to adapting 2 chapters in 1 episode next week again.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

Interestingly, in the manga, the fact that spoiler[Ed looks like he's praying when he's about to do alchemy was specifically mentioned by a character, if I recall correctly, so that impression of the opening may not have been entirely unintentional.]

The power of Chris compels you? Who's Chris? Laughing You just made my day. "The power of CHRIS COMPELS YOOOOU! Fear the power of the almighty Chris!" Anime hyper

Anyway, that's one of my favorite lines in the manga. I always thought it was fascinating that Ed claims to be an atheist but puts SO much stock in the laws of alchemy, has memorized all the great books, and is so obsessed with the subject in general, so much so that he relied on it even to bring back the dead. (He's quoted several times as saying with the power of alchemy, anything can be done.) Really, alchemy and the "truth" of it is his god and his religion, which is why it's interesting to me in the manga that Lin says, "It looks like he's praying every time he does that." Really great stuff.

There's a similar moment to that in the first anime where spoiler[Ed has determined that it's better to believe in something, anything, even if you can't prove it, than to subscribe to apathy and chaos like Dante. Just after he affirms this to himself, well, it being WWI, a blimp lands on him. He realizes he's trapped and deliriously claps his hands together to try and perform alchemy. The "camera" switches to an angle where it really really looks like he's praying, he raises his hands a little, shaking. Then he dies. (Well, one of him dies, anyway, the other one gets to die later.)] More great stuff.

I'm going to watch that new episode now. *braces self*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 64