• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Comic-Con Int'l Visit Set for July 24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Man. I really don't wanna camp. But for something like this, I may very well do so. Especially if this is at the beginning of the day.
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
My impression is that Hayao Miyazaki would be very interesting to listen to. Of course, as luck would have it, there is no way I'd be able to attend this... but definitely wish I could!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He will then travel to Hollywood for the American premiere of Ponyo on July 27.

I was not aware of a Hollywood premiere. I take it it's a celebrity thing, and not an advanced screening thing, right?
lupinvash3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Crap. It's gonna be in Hall H, huh? Dammit. So much for trying to get an autograph or a picture with him. Well, hopefully I get to ask him a question, if there'll ever be a QandA session. My question will be this: By any chance, are you ever gonna make and direct another Lupin III movie? Possibly even a sequel for Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro?

It would be nice if there is a sequel, in which Lupin rushes back to help Clarice, who is once again in trouble.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
lupinvash3 wrote:
My question will be this: By any chance, are you ever gonna make and direct another Lupin III movie? Possibly even a sequel for Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro?

It would be nice if there is a sequel, in which Lupin rushes back to help Clarice, who is once again in trouble.

There likely won't be a Q&A session and here's the answer to your question: "no".

Seriously, asking questions about unannounced projects or licenses at convention panels is a waste of everyone's time, including yours. They're not going to say "Oh yeah! Hey I forgot to mention that; I'm directing a new Lupin movie! Sorry that wasn't part of the huge presentation we just had!".
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
lupinvash3 wrote:
My question will be this: By any chance, are you ever gonna make and direct another Lupin III movie? Possibly even a sequel for Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro?

There likely won't be a Q&A session and here's the answer to your question: "no".

Seriously, asking questions about unannounced projects or licenses at convention panels is a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

I've been to plenty of Hall H panels at the Con and if that's the worst of the questions consider yourself, and the rest of the crowd, lucky. The questions really get inane when someone proposes to a female guest or asks for an autograph and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Miyazaki panel is part of a larger Disney panel. When the schedules for the SDCC come out, maybe it will give us a little more detail. And that Hall is bigger than you think, if you go to the Con and want to attend the panel, if you can wait in line, chances are good you'll get in.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I really wish I could go to Comic-Con it would be so wonderful to hear Miyazaki's speech.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
so, tell your friends, make sure you bring reading material to amuse yourself standing in line... and try to remember this. He didn't even come here when he won an Academy Award. John L. has prolly been working on him for years to come over here, and there are numerous other things he is doing in Cali over the weekend. So. It will be up to us to set the tenor of this trip, up to us to make the panel great, by being courteous, and polite. IF there is a Q&A, and I have my doubts, try and make sure your Q? is relevant to more than just you. For anybody we admire, we always have questions that we ourselves have been wondering about, but there are a finite number of questions being asked. So, if you win, spread the wealth by asking a GOOD question. Don't ask a Q? that will make you look like a sterotype, and remember there is a human being on the other end. Possibly a human looking out on a huge barn of people, in utter boredom [or terror]. Try to make this worth their while too. Everyone knows that you are happy to be there, and are happy Miysaki-san [or anyone else] is there and so on. When asking a question remember you may be going through a translator too...

Just a few things to keep in mind... the worst thing you can hear from an audience when you are asking a Q? is a groan. What you want to hear is quiet anticipation...

Make it a righteous experience, and 6000 other people will thank you.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I already asked Miyazaki about more Lupin @ the Spirited Away screening, and he said he preferred other directors get a chance to handle it.

Arthur: I'm guessing the reason he didn't show up was because no one actually thought he'd win. It's probably the last 2-d full-length film to be awarded by the Academy, too. I'm not really fond of Asseter's support of Miyazaki, either, because he just steals his ideas so he can make 3-d flicks which would probably be like the dreck from DWA, otherwise, while he continues to keep 2-d down. [That's why no one includes Cars and A Bug's Life[and probably Toy Story 3] when they praise Pixar.] Furthermore, his ad campaign for Ponyo should've been on the same level as Wall-E, but that would mean competition, and he can't have that.
lupinvash3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
so, tell your friends, make sure you bring reading material to amuse yourself standing in line... and try to remember this. He didn't even come here when he won an Academy Award. John L. has prolly been working on him for years to come over here, and there are numerous other things he is doing in Cali over the weekend. So. It will be up to us to set the tenor of this trip, up to us to make the panel great, by being courteous, and polite. IF there is a Q&A, and I have my doubts, try and make sure your Q? is relevant to more than just you. For anybody we admire, we always have questions that we ourselves have been wondering about, but there are a finite number of questions being asked. So, if you win, spread the wealth by asking a GOOD question. Don't ask a Q? that will make you look like a sterotype, and remember there is a human being on the other end. Possibly a human looking out on a huge barn of people, in utter boredom [or terror]. Try to make this worth their while too. Everyone knows that you are happy to be there, and are happy Miysaki-san [or anyone else] is there and so on. When asking a question remember you may be going through a translator too...

Just a few things to keep in mind... the worst thing you can hear from an audience when you are asking a Q? is a groan. What you want to hear is quiet anticipation...

Make it a righteous experience, and 6000 other people will thank you.

So what about my question regarding about a hopeful sequel to Castle of Cagliostro. After all, some of the tv eps. and that movie are some of his greatest works. It'd be nice to try to revive the Lupin fandom and all to the big screen. Don't you think it'd be nice if he kinda went back to his old roots a bit?
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I already asked Miyazaki about more Lupin @ the Spirited Away screening, and he said he preferred other directors get a chance to handle it.

Arthur: I'm guessing the reason he didn't show up was because no one actually thought he'd win. It's probably the last 2-d full-length film to be awarded by the Academy, too. I'm not really fond of Asseter's support of Miyazaki, either, because he just steals his ideas so he can make 3-d flicks which would probably be like the dreck from DWA, otherwise, while he continues to keep 2-d down. [That's why no one includes Cars and A Bug's Life[and probably Toy Story 3] when they praise Pixar.] Furthermore, his ad campaign for Ponyo should've been on the same level as Wall-E, but that would mean competition, and he can't have that.

Uhhh...Even Miyazaki stole ideas from European movies and literatures he enjoyed as young man. So what if other famous director stole ideas from him?

Even though Lassester supports and push Miyazaki's works 100%, probably he never notices indirect resistance from Disney corporate bureaucracy which is reluctant to help him out. Forget Disney. The Hollywood in general, doesn't like to promote foreign films over their mega budget movies.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
12:45 on Friday in the Disney panel according to the calendar posted today

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci09_prog_fri.php

Disney Animation panel Hall H
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
reanimator:
Quote:
Even Miyazaki stole ideas from European movies and literatures he enjoyed as young man. So what if other famous director stole ideas from him?

Um, no. Miyazaki does acknowledge his influences and-with the exception of Lupin and Sherlock Holmes-does actually try to get permission from the various estates of for his work. Plus, he does do the research needed to make his productions work. The wannabes behind Treasure Planet and The Great Mouse Detective can only resort to the animation equivalent of tracing.

Quote:
Even though Lassester supports and push Miyazaki's works 100%, probably he never notices indirect resistance from Disney corporate bureaucracy which is reluctant to help him out. Forget Disney.

Um, he has significant pull in the company. Wall-E and Ratatouille would definitely not have happened if Disney was running the place.
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
12:45 on Friday in the Disney panel according to the calendar posted today

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci09_prog_fri.php

Disney Animation panel Hall H

Oh dang. I already see a conflict. What to do. As Zac has said, its doubtful we're going to see Miyazaki open up that much. They'll ask some stock questions (its all moderated it looks like, so no random "can you do such and such film?"), he'll give a little background in what inspired him for this film and then shuffle off for the other Disney oriented items. Even still, this IS the only chance I may ever see him talk live about his project and/or career. Plus this is a big deal for him to even set foot outside his native country. Ah, what to do.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to go, but it's followed by Tim Burton so maybe. They usually don't clear the rooms so I could make both
I've never bothered with Hall H stuff in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1