• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya: Over One Million CDs Served

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, awesome. Smile
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bouken de-show de-show

I'm pretty sure that should be Bouken desho desho? (冒険でしょでしょ?).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Quote:
Bouken de-show de-show

See animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=381872#381872
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
actually i'm surprised that it hasn't reached million cds much earlier with so many different albums released...

i'm still a bit sad that i actually BOUGHT Japanese soundtrack, 2 singles for opening and closing themes, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsumeawase single then got ANOTHER copies when I bought limited editon US DVD release....it was like "OH MAAAAAN!!!" moment but oh well...at least those songs brought many hours of listening enjoyment when i got them...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. The songs for this series are all pretty amazing, and even if the the songs were not that great the popularity of the show would probably make a lot of albums sold anyway.

(I love the Character singles!)
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane

I own the CD single in question and it is indeed Desho Desho.

There are either 2 versions or the one shown in the thread you linked is a bootleg as it looks a bit shoody if you ask me.
cnet128

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
@Shiroi Hane

I own the CD single in question and it is indeed Desho Desho.

There are either 2 versions or the one shown in the thread you linked is a bootleg as it looks a bit shoody if you ask me.

In case there was any truth to your claim of it being a bootleg, I searched out another set of images of the single, but same deal.

More likely, you're referring to the American release of the single, which does indeed romanise the title in the more logical manner of "Bouken Desho Desho?" (...which actually strikes me as odd, now I come to think about it, since the "ou" long vowel romanisation, as in "bouken", is rarely seen in official romanisations). Personally, I think it would be more logical to use the more standard romanisation of the official American release as the "official" romanisation, rather than the highly unusual romanisation used purely decoratively in the Japanese single packaging (and probably nowhere else), but... ANN's call, I guess.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Isn't the song also listed as Desho Desho in the credits themselves? Shouldn't that be like the nail in the coffin for ANN to change it?

Think about it try singing the song and say De-Show De-show it doesn't sound right nor does it look right. It really should be changed.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
wow
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
In light of the recent Endless Eight controversy, I'd deem it appropriate for the new OP to have been given an alternative title. Instead of "Super Driver", it should have been a variation on that of the previous series: "Broken the-show the-show".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
onemadcow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Not to make light of the achievement, but those numbers seem a bit inflated. It may be that they have 'shipped' 1 million CD's but I don't think they've actually sold that many. Oricon's last listing for the 'God Knows' CD (which was a couple weeks back) was showing it with sales of aproximately 145k copies, having spent 119 weeks in the top 200. I'm sort of curious where mantanweb got their numbers from. Bandai? Very Happy
flavius184

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the Japanese would use that romanization for de-show? Typically they would use a long vowel at the end to spell it out, just like the katakana for the word show: ショー
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
4nBlue wrote:
Quote:
Bouken de-show de-show

See animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=381872#381872
Damn you Japanese and your weird romanisation choices, who the heck would use something like de-show instead of a real word like desho and still write it in hiragana.
onemadcow wrote:
Not to make light of the achievement, but those numbers seem a bit inflated. It may be that they have 'shipped' 1 million CD's but I don't think they've actually sold that many. Oricon's last listing for the 'God Knows' CD (which was a couple weeks back) was showing it with sales of aproximately 145k copies, having spent 119 weeks in the top 200. I'm sort of curious where mantanweb got their numbers from. Bandai? Very Happy
I don't know how they counted these numbers but selling million CD's is not that weird when you count all of the 25 CD's together.
theknight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me i bought 1 copy of Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsumeawase
and got 2 for some reason for Christmas.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that we'll get the opening and closing CD singles should Bandai do the "Limited Edition" thing again for Season 2, but I suspect I'll probably just have to order them from Japan (though I might just wait for a proper soundtrack album with both songs on it).

I don't know which opening song I prefer; "Bouken Desho, Desho" is peppy and upbeat, and I love the brass during the chorus, but "Super Driver" has a nice slightly-metal guitar-driven edge to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2