• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Album is 1st Anime Character CDs to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but this series does not merit the popularity it has received. Sure it looked promising, but by episode 5 I saw how bad it really was. The animators were too lazy to draw them playing the instruments (with the exception of the OP and Ep. 12), and they spent more time focusing on the Moe factor of the girls than the evolution of their band. In layman's terms: a turd sandwich.

This has not been a good year for anime Sad...
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Of course, it has the new No. 1 Waifu singing on it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I find these trends worrisome.

How far back does the current moe craze go?
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I'm sorry, but this series does not merit the popularity it has received. Sure it looked promising, but by episode 5 I saw how bad it really was. The animators were too lazy to draw them playing the instruments (with the exception of the OP and Ep. 12), and they spent more time focusing on the Moe factor of the girls than the evolution of their band. In layman's terms: a turd sandwich.

It's based on a 4koma, what did you expect? KyoAni tries hard to stay true to the source material, and there's really not that much room for band playing episodes in a 4koma strip.

Last edited by biolizard_alpha on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm guilty of being one of those 67,000 Laughing

It was bound to happen with this series anyway. A series with the same appeal as Lucky Star but featuring a group of girls forming a band, it's bound to sell quite a few CDs if you ask me. I only wish these mini-albums were a little less expensive though Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I do have to say the anime was far below what I was hoping for. As some one who spends a lot of time around music (playing it) the lack of details at times was really yank out my hair type of deal.

At least the music is ok?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The music? I heard far worse. Average J-Pop. It's got a nice beat and you can dance to it. But, No. 1? That's what we get for underestimating the power of moe.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The real bad news about this is that there were other albums that actually deserved this on the charts. If theywere going to do a music anime you would think they would have some songs that are above just being bearable.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
In b4 R1 DVD's from Bandai Ent.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The 4koma didn't feature much actual playing either. The songs are cute and have a catchy beat, even if they're not memorable in the long term. Plus you can tell the budget for the show was pretty low since they focused more energy in the short minutes they were actually playing instruments during shows (like Fuwa Fuwa Time in ep 12). Even then you can tell that a lot of parts were just rotoscoped, which was also easy to spot in Haruhi's band episode as well.

Anyway let it have its moment, however short lived.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I hope K-ON gets dubbed So I can buy it. Damn i got a feeling Bandai is gonna Leave me in Despair Again. Come on FUNimation Counter attack those Bastards.!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sash2501

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

It does deserve the popularity. To groups of people who like these type of genre. And this perticular group of people are just high in numbers., thats all.

Too lazy to draw playing instruments? Maybe to cut to the story, and actual dialogue. If they have animated their practice session that doesnt deliver a point, its a negetive in pacing.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Cool. I love the show, but can't see myself listening to the music featured in it to often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
They really should have focused more on the girl's playing and music. Well, maybe they will do a second series... here's hoping.

I liked the OP / ED music primarily - Kagayake Girls is my ringtone at the moment..

They have two more character image albums to go. I was not too impressed with the "soundtrack" - its all the background music bits, so it sorta sounds like jazzy elevator music clips.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Even then you can tell that a lot of parts were just rotoscoped, which was also easy to spot in Haruhi's band episode as well.

I don't think those scenes in K-ON and Haruhi were rotoscoped just because they had animated some movements more realistically than in the rest of the series. Japanese animators occasionally use half-rotoscoped animation, which means they used prerecorded life-action film as mere reference instead of tracing over life-action movement frame by frame which would be the case for usual rotoscoping. A good example for scenes with half-rotoscoping animation in anime areclose-up shots of Taeko and Toshio talking to each other in Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3