• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo BD to Ship in Japan with English Subs on December 8

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bossyman15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
wow if I had BD player maybe i'll buy it.
toru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
A list does not have the English sound, but AV Watch says "North American edition which Cate Blanchett and Matt Damon were appointed as as a voice actor will be included as bonus feature."
Losstarot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I'm buying one. Ghibli movies on Bluray is something I'm gonna have to support.

Incidentally, does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD player that'll play region 2 DVDs?
a-cha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
Awesome, I'm buying one. Ghibli movies on Bluray is something I'm gonna have to support.

Incidentally, does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD player that'll play region 2 DVDs?

Blu Ray has different regions. I believe Japanese Blu Ray discs and American Blu Ray players are of the same region.

BTW, Japanese Blu Ray movies are quite often around $120...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow I would love to have some of Gihbil's work on BD, now if only I had a BD player.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
a-cha wrote:
Blu Ray has different regions. I believe Japanese Blu Ray discs and American Blu Ray players are of the same region.

This is correct. Both the US and Japan are region A for Blu-ray, and just about all japanese anime Blu-rays have been region free so far anyway.

a-cha wrote:
BTW, Japanese Blu Ray movies are quite often around $120...

This is wrong, most new Japanese Blu-ray are priced about 1000 yen more than the DVD (6000 - 8000 yen), though the prices are about 25% less assuming you buy from Amazon or HMV Japan. Works out to about $63-$85 before discount, about $48 - $65 after. Not cheap by any means, but a far cry from $120. For example the Evangelion 1.11 Blu-ray retails for 5800 yen, Ponyo blu-ray will retail for 6800 yen.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
If I had a Blu-Ray, then I would buy this and this would be a legal imported sub.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Being as I have a PS3 and am in the same region as Japan, I will buy this.
JINROH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I also have a PS3/60 and will be importing this ASAP !

Now please,bring us more Ghibli Studio movies on BD please !

How about the whole darn catalog.I already own most of them on R1 dvd,
but will happily double dip to get them all on Bluray.

OT : Sony,bring on Xam'd on Bluray this year,with a decent dub to boot.
Chipboard artbox,to go with the release,would be heavily appreciated !
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
a-cha wrote:
Losstarot wrote:

hissatsu01 wrote:
This is correct. Both the US and Japan are region A for Blu-ray, and just about all japanese anime Blu-rays have been region free so far anyway.

He's asking for a DVD player recommendation, not Blu-ray player.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:

There are tons of Region-Free DVD players online.

You just have to be careful of scam artists.

Look around and keep asking questions in A/V forums...

I can't recommend one since I don't have a region-free player. Computer DVD drives can be region reset a few times but I don't recommend that route. You could rip a movie from DVD and play it region-free that way but that's just as big a hassle as resetting the DVD drive region in the long run.

There used to be a lot of cheap DVD players that could be reprogrammed for alternate regions/region-free but those manufacturers/brands got sued out of existence or were so cheaply built that they never became that popular. You can find the el-cheapo less than great players in Chinatown/big cities or online. Usually, you'll find a third-tier brand name player (re: Apex) or modded big name player (Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc.).

I'd recommend you get a DVD player with progressive scan, too, so that you can at least use it with a HDTV if you have one already or plan to buy one.

Another option is to get a Japanese PS3 AFTER the cheaper slim model launches in Japan. It will play Blu ray movies from either Japan or the US in addition to Region 2/NTSC (Japanese) DVDs. DVD coding and regional video standards are still in effect for all PS3 models. They generally don't enforce Blu ray encoding internationally for most big name movie and game titles.

As far as I know, nobody's chipped a PS3 successfully to play alternate-region DVDs. You're stuck with whatever region your PS3 is native to.

Note that standard def local video protocols still DO come into effect if you attempt to play a European-native PS3 game on a standard def American or Japanese TV set. The PAL video signal will scramble on your NTSC set. It'll be fine on an HDTV, however...
halo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
If I had a Blu-Ray, then I would buy this and this would be a legal imported sub.

"Legal imported" is an oxymoron in the case of home video since importing from another region is usually not legal. I'm pretty sure most of my R2 Japanese Ghibli discs are only licensed for distribution in Japan (as well as my Iblard Jikan Blu-ray) and specifically say so on the case.

I don't see the point in importing it since I'm pretty sure Disney will release it domestically soon after at a much cheaper price.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
in the case of home video since importing from another region is usually not legal.

In the country I live in, the U.S., personal import of copyrighted materials is expressly permitted by law.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000602----000-.html
U.S. code, Title 17, Chapter 6, Section 602 wrote:

(a) Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title . . . is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies . . . This subsection does not apply to—
(2) importation, for the private use of the importer and not for distribution, by any person with respect to no more than one copy or phonorecord of any one work at any one time, or by any person arriving from outside the United States with respect to copies or phonorecords forming part of such person’s personal baggage

(University studies and scientific research would be heavily impeded if people needed to contact copyright holders for each individual foreign book they import.)

More in-depth analysis here:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=295219
halo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
halo wrote:
in the case of home video since importing from another region is usually not legal.

In the country I live in, the U.S., personal import of copyrighted materials is expressly permitted by law.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000602----000-.html
U.S. code, Title 17, Chapter 6, Section 602 wrote:

(a) Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title . . . is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies . . . This subsection does not apply to—
(2) importation, for the private use of the importer and not for distribution, by any person with respect to no more than one copy or phonorecord of any one work at any one time, or by any person arriving from outside the United States with respect to copies or phonorecords forming part of such person’s personal baggage

(University studies and scientific research would be heavily impeded if people needed to contact copyright holders for each individual foreign book they import.)

More in-depth analysis here:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=295219

Yes, you can bring it here from Japan yourself. It is not legal for a Japanese store to sell you one, as far as I know of Japanese laws. Furthermore, First Sale is no longer a cover all over here. A few, more recent, court rulings have not favored people importing textbooks and watches. I'm sure Buena Vista Home Entertainment could certainly present a good case with their laywers.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6615825.html?nid=2286&source=title&rid=676052060
http://jiplp.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/4/4/244.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
It is not legal for a Japanese store to sell you one, as far as I know of Japanese laws.

I've never heard of copyright export controls. Do you have a link? I think you're probably mistaken on that one.
halo wrote:
Furthermore, First Sale is no longer a cover all over here. A few, more recent, court rulings have not favored people importing textbooks and watches. I'm sure Buena Vista Home Entertainment could certainly present a good case with their laywers.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6615825.html?nid=2286&source=title&rid=676052060
http://jiplp.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/4/4/244.

Yeah, not too surprising, especially the 2nd one. In both cases, the law is applied to sellers.
halo wrote:
you can bring it here from Japan yourself

Fortunately this is the only part we personal importers have to really worry about. Smile

I see what you mean, though. I was thinking in terms of "I'm not personally breaking the law when I order BDs from Amazon.co.jp" but you were speaking in a more general sense, "there's usually at least one law/civil code violated somewhere when you do that."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2