• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Columnist Jason Yadao Writes The Rough Guide to Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
I see Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note and Naruto on the cover. What's the point in writing about comics everyone already knows about? Wouldn't it be better to focus on less known but good manga? I mean, what new information that fans don't know already about can the book reveal about those well known works?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the manga guide introduces the art form to newcomers
Wink
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
I see Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note and Naruto on the cover. What's the point in writing about comics everyone already knows about? Wouldn't it be better to focus on less known but good manga? I mean, what new information that fans don't know already about can the book reveal about those well known works?

I wouldn't write it off so quickly. All the "Rough Guide" books I've read to date are really well done, and as I wrote in the latest issue of Otaku USA, I sincerely think The Rough Guide to Anime: Japan's Finest From Ghibli to Gankutsuo[u] is the single best anime primer resource there is, online or otherwise. I guarantee you that most anime fans don't know the information about anime contained within it, even though they should.

I must confess that I have not actually read any of Jason Yadao's writings, but going by the track record of previous Rough Guides I've read along with the blurb for it on Amazon.com (which details how a lot of it is indeed about lesser-known but good manga), it sounds like this is going to be the real deal. The cover might seem a little silly to us, but the way I see it the people that'll at least pick it up to look at it because it's got Naruto/FMA/Death Note on the cover are precisely the people who would benefit most from reading such a book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1