• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yasuhiro Imagawa Cancels Trip to Anime Weekend Atlanta

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Aw, bummer. I'm one of the few people that really enjoyed G Gundam, I was looking forward to meeting him...
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
And without any reason given, I don't like the sound of this one bit. The whole thing is giving me a bureaucratic feel to it. Not to mention is the fact that while there will be no Japanese anime industry appearance at AWA this year with this cancellation, there's still J-Pop performance from the Japanese music industry. I can't help but to wonder that Japan values their music industry more so than their anime industry with this gesture.

I would like to know which Japanese agency that helped AWA with setting up the industries appearances, this will give me more background to look into.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe someone's Shin Mazinger Z announcement wasn't ready yet so the Japanese visitors didn't need to show.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Talk about a bummer. I really wanted to go hear him.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Maybe someone's Shin Mazinger Z announcement wasn't ready yet so the Japanese visitors didn't need to show.
So you believe someone is planning on an official US distribution of Shin Mazinger Z? Well that's putting a positive spin on it, if only it was true.

However, as of now there's no reason given for the cancellation. Therefore I'm expecting for the worst, so that I could be more pleasantly surprised if you're right.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
For those that were wanting to see him, it would be if it was revealed why he canceled.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect to find that out, unless the news is updated with more details or if the question is eventually asked during a later interview or convention appearance by Mr. Imagawa.

This is still a pity though, since I was really looking forward to what he would have to say about Shin Mazinger in particular. Anything else about Giant Robo would be nice too, but that's already been covered.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. Imagawa is my favorite director, I would have loved to get a chance to see him in person.

Maybe we'll get another chance, though. A few years back a similar situation happened with Monkey Punch canceling his trip to Metrocon in Tampa at the last minute. But he was there the next year.
TJR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
And without any reason given, I don't like the sound of this one bit. The whole thing is giving me a bureaucratic feel to it. Not to mention is the fact that while there will be no Japanese anime industry appearance at AWA this year with this cancellation, there's still J-Pop performance from the Japanese music industry. I can't help but to wonder that Japan values their music industry more so than their anime industry with this gesture.

I would like to know which Japanese agency that helped AWA with setting up the industries appearances, this will give me more background to look into.

It could still be an industry specific decision as opposed to prioritization of one market over another.

I know that within the video game industry, there was so much fear over swine flu that Japanese companies canceled E3 creator trips one after another (decided by the bosses). Anime cons were held around the same time, but we didn't see the same reactions from those companies.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
It could still be an industry specific decision as opposed to prioritization of one market over another.
I know that, which is why I would like more information before I can make a sound judgment based on more facts. However I must admit that the simple lack of a reason for cancellation does give me a bad feeling, and I can't help with how I feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1