• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crackle Posts Rurouni Kenshin's English Samurai X Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I'll be interested in seeing how this dub is different from the Media Blasters dub.

EDIT: THIS DUB SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS! MEDIA BLASTERS FOR LIFE!

Last edited by TsukasaElkKite on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I've watched the older dub too many times, but I cant get over the subtle changes they made in the words :\ Battousai the Slasher? hmmm..... no thanks Anime dazed Kenshin will always be the Manslayer
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
What the hell? I didn't even know this dub existed...

I'm watching the first episode now... Of course everyone's voices are different... Kaoru's (...are they they calling her what sounds like 'Korey'?) voice actress is terrible... but wait, what?! Kenshin's voice is the same as his Media Blasters dub voice! What's going on?!

And these pronunciations are horrible. Batusai... Or is it them mispronouncing battoosai (a Japanese double o sound being mispronounced as an English long u sound)?

EDIT: All right, I think what would clear up some of my confusion is knowing where exactly Animax Asia's dub of this show was recorded. Because I'm hearing some familiar American voices besides just Kenshin's.

Last edited by Josh7289 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters Kenshin Owned all. ADV Dub was FAIL! That it was. That hurt me when I heard Kenshin's voice in that. That it did.

Edit: Wait Battousai the Slasher? FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well i'll never be watching that.. Kaoru's Voice makes me sick. Who dubbed this and how long ago?? Kenshin hasn't said ''that it is'' or anything like that.

Media Blasters for life! (When it comes to Kenshin)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So this was "controversial" because it sucked?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca "Nunnally" Forstadt may have been good in other roles, however, Kaoru is epic fail. Funny how they did two non-ADV dubs: the one with Media Blasters (Richard Hayworth was the voice of Kenshin in both versions) and this one. Dorothy Fahn is the true Kaoru dub voice.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Media Blasters Kenshin Owned all. ADV Dub was FAIL! That it was. That hurt me when I heard Kenshin's voice in that. That it did.

Edit: Wait Battousai the Slasher? FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well i'll never be watching that.. Kaoru's Voice makes me sick. Who dubbed this and how long ago?? Kenshin hasn't said ''that it is'' or anything like that.

Media Blasters for life! (When it comes to Kenshin)

What are you talking about? ADV didn't dub this version! Monster Island dubbed Samurai X The movie and the other films.

This dub sounds like it was done by a mom and pop ADR studio. I agree though that Bang Zoom's MB dub is quite simply the best.
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
BAH-TOO-SAI THE SLASHER HUH! I'll stick with Battousai The MANSLAYER.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Who dubbed this and how long ago?? Kenshin hasn't said ''that it is'' or anything like that.

It's right in the story.
Quote:
as it was dubbed in English under the name Samurai X by Animax Asia — this month. This is the first time that this particular English dub has been available officially in the United States, although Sony Pictures Entertainment attempted to license this dub to American distributors a decade ago
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this on Animax Asia and some what enjoyed it. However, this was before I seen the US English dub or any other translation of the series. While the mispronouncing was a bit odd (Korry/Kaoru), it falls under the same code of dubbing, there are wrose out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I see I was too late to warn everybody not to try watching this. Animax dubs uniformly suck.

But why is the dub being dubbed "controversial"? Is it because it uses some American voice talent for an Asian broadcast? I suppose that could be considered a controversial step in the right direction...
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I heard of this dub a long time ago from a trailer on Youtube. I knew it would be bad, but I wasn't aware of just HOW bad it would be. Terrible translations and pronunciation everywhere! Ayame and Suzume should NOT have a deeper voice then Kaoru. Soeaking of Kaoru... Where does that "ee" sound come from? I don't know if that can even be blamed on pronunciation issues. I also love how Kenshin pretty much insults Kaoru when he calls her naive for thinking he was a good person, and she just smiles happily.

On the bright side, I find it absolutely hilarious, albeit for the wrong reasons. It almost feels like a joke dub.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The real question is, why'd they bother? Media Blaster's gave us a great dub that has been around for a while now, and I really don't see where the benefit of this is.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Can I assume this is region locked? It doesn't seem to say anything to this effect anywhere on the site but the Samurai X link in the article just redirects me to a generic page and so do all the "top show" links at the bottom of the site itself and any shows in their own ads. No error messages, it is just like they don't exist.
When I browse titles there are only 4 showing across all three sections, none of which I have ever heard of and all of which return ASP errors when I try to open them.

Greed1914 wrote:
The real question is, why'd they bother? Media Blaster's gave us a great dub that has been around for a while now, and I really don't see where the benefit of this is.

Perhaps Animax couldn't get the rights to that one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BDK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I have read a lot of the Kenshin manga, but have yet to see any of the anime whatsoever, so personally any fallacy's in the script are beyond me.

And yes the dub does sound kind of awkward, but at least it isn't 4Kids material bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3