• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime ( no kidding)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudesup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I just saw an anime called bastard at amazon.com that looks good. Also the complete series costs 25 dollars. Is it good, also why is it so unexpensive? Also, how do I know the order of anime series. I made a mistake the other day and bought the Fushigi Yugi OVA which goes after the tv series. Mad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:03 am Reply with quote
dudesup wrote:

I just saw an anime called bastard at amazon.com that looks good. Also the complete series costs 25 dollars. Is it good, also why is it so unexpensive? Also, how do I know the order of anime series. I made a mistake the other day and bought the Fushigi Yugi OVA which goes after the tv series. Mad

I haven't seen the Anime, but personally I enjoyed the Manga series (which is much longer than the Anime).

Akemi's Anime World, a site that I respect, has the series reviewed here: http://animeworld.com/reviews/bastard.html

I guess it's so cheap because it isn't particularly popular in North America, perhaps the VHS release didn't sell that well, so they decided to make a very good deal on the DVD release. No huge expense on the Pioneer's part seing as they had already translated it and everything for the vhs.

Regarding the order of different series, there is no way to Know. You have to do some research, generally it isn't that hard to find a website with details about the order that a title was released in. Or you could ask in the forum here, or in other forums, or ask Zac.

One last plug, don't buy it at Amazon, support an Anime retailer, and hey, if you buy it at TRSI here: http://www.rightstuf.com/catalog/browse/link/t=item,c=right-stuf,v=right-stuf,i=pd10371,a=anime-news-network ANN get's a comission. Smile

-t
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:46 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

One last plug, don't buy it at Amazon, support an Anime retailer, and hey, if you buy it at TRSI here: http://www.rightstuf.com/catalog/browse/link/t=item,c=right-stuf,v=right-stuf,i=pd10371,a=anime-news-network ANN get's a comission. :-)

-t

Why don't you become a DVDPlanet.com affiliate? When I have to order a DVD from the States (mostly Pioneer stuf like Cardcaptor Sakura which you can't get at HMV or Metro Video), I find the shipping to Canada to be a lot more reasonable at the online DVD superstores ($4 for the 1st item, $1 each additional item at DVD Planet) than at the anime places ($7 for the 1st item, $2 each additional item). Plus, I find Canada Post neglects to charge me the border fee & taxes a lot more frequently when I order from the DVD places than when I order from the anime places. For a single volume of Cardcaptor Sakura a Canadian like myself would pay (not taking into account the sales taxes & border fee, which is an unknown variable) $26.49 ($22.49 + $4 shipping) at DVD Planet vs. $33.98 ($26.98 + $7 shipping) at the Right Stuf. I mean, if I really felt like paying more than the American S.R.P. for a single disk of Cardcaptor Sakura, I'd sooner take the Metro to St. Laurent and buy it at Cosmix! If the difference was only a buck or so, I might consider ordering from one of the anime guys to support this site, but not when there's a $7 difference, which is like $12 Canadian these days.

(I do, however, support the online anime retailers when I buy anime CDs and other merchandise.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:45 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I'd sooner take the Metro to St. Laurent and buy it at Cosmix!

Here's a better idea, take the Metro to Villa Maria ang go to "Sci-Fi Anime." Luan, the owner of the store, might not have what you want in stock, but if he doesn't he'll order it for you and probably sell it to you for less than SRP.

Same as witht the online stores, support the Anime specialty places Smile

Oh, and I perfectly understand that when the shipping price is so large that supporting an online store is silly. But I checked the price at Amazon and TRSI for that DVD, and both were selling it at the same disconted price. didn't check shiping though, and I don't know where Dudesup lives...

I order from TRSI frequently enough, and they tend to lie on the customs form regarding the value of the goods, so I don't end up getting charged duty.
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I live in Puerto Rico, so I think the shipping is the same as in the US. But I dont have a credit card, so I'll probably go to suncoast to see if they have it. I usually use suncoast just to see what anime seems interesting and to see the price. But if fushigi yugi or bastard isnt at suncoast ill buy it from that place you said.
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:52 pm Reply with quote
correction i usually use amazon.com (in place of suncoast) Embarassed
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Tenchi wrote:

I'd sooner take the Metro to St. Laurent and buy it at Cosmix!

Here's a better idea, take the Metro to Villa Maria ang go to "Sci-Fi Anime." Luan, the owner of the store, might not have what you want in stock, but if he doesn't he'll order it for you and probably sell it to you for less than SRP.

Okay, you passed my little test, you actually do live in Montreal, and it's Montreal, Quebec, not Montreal, Wisconsin or one of those other tiny Montreals. Anyhow, Sci-Fi's excellent for rentals, but the advantage of Cosmix (and Marche Clandestin, which I somehow forgot to mention last night, even though I go there far more often these days than Cosmix) is that they have DVDs that HMV and Metro Video can't seem to get IN STOCK. If there's a DVD I want to get right away (like the Ah! My Goddess movie, which Clandestin had in store the weekend before the American street date), I'll go to Clandestin or Cosmix. If, however, I want to pay less than SRP and don't mind waiting a week or two, I could order from Sci-Fi, or I could order online. The advantage of online is that it comes directly to my house or apartment; I don't have to go to Villa-Maria Metro (which isn't as bad as going all of the way to Cote-Vertu, granted, but is still a fair bit out of my way). But, come to think of it, I haven't been to Sci-Fi since last summer; it's about time I paid them a visit.

Tempest wrote:

Oh, and I perfectly understand that when the shipping price is so large that supporting an online store is silly. But I checked the price at Amazon and TRSI for that DVD, and both were selling it at the same disconted price. didn't check shiping though, and I don't know where Dudesup lives...

I didn't compare prices for Bastard, but, for my example of Cardcaptor Sakura, DVD Planet beats Amazon hands down too. (For a volume of Cardcaptor Sakura at Amazon, it's $25.49, plus $3.49 shipping to Canada, for a total of $28.98.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1