• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasameki Koto (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Sasameki Koto (TV)

Oh you knew this was coming! Wink

This is a yuri romantic, comedy series (trust me there will be comedy in this in the future) about a girly girl named Ushio Kazama who declares that she only like cute girls, and her best friend Sumika Murasame who secretly has a crush on Ushio but doesn't really confess to her since she's.....well.....not really cute. Anime smile + sweatdrop

You can watch the series here every Wednesday at 3 PM EST!

Episode 1 pretty much adapted the first chapter of the manga rather faithfully and not to mention threw in some foreshadowing like spoiler[Ushio and Sumika witnessing Tomoe and Miyako kissing in the classroom (did anyone get Kashimashi vibes out of that scene; it reminded me of what happened in the first episode), indirectly showing Masaki and Azusa, and Sumika kicking that thing that was about to hit Masaki.] The plot for episode 1 ended up being a love triangle that utterly collapse in the end. spoiler[Basically, Ushio has a crush on a really cute girl she's working with in the library, but Sumika advises her not to get too crazy or else she'll regret it. Later on Ushio noticed that girl was getting flustered over some boy that always comes to her desk in which Ushio decided to hold back her feelings for now. Around the end of the episode Ushio noticed that girl was crying. it just so happens that girl was jealous of Ushio because the reason that boy came over was because he had a crush on Ushio. Pretty much nobody wins, and Ushio once again faced another unrequited crush on another girl. Thankfully Sumika was there to support her.]

I have to say the piano BGM really made this episode far more melodramatic and somewhat angsty than I anticipated. And not to mention this weird mood whiplash feeling I got on some of the comedic moments in this episode. The OP sequence surprisingly has a slower tempo than even the OP sequence in Aoi Hana. The ED sequence on the other hand has a more upbeat tempo featuring chibi cutouts of the characters.

I hope some of the peeps won't get too turned off at the rather angsty mood this episode set up; it does become more fun-loving later on!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked it. I'd be up for more fun later on if it comes, but I'm totally cool with it being emotional and angsty, too. That's how I like my romance shows, yuri or not. By the way, I think Sumi-chan is WAY cuter than the Senpai that Kazama liked - plus she clearly has a hell of a karate kick, too. Yep, I'm definitely getting the Aoi Hana vibe off this one, which is fine by me.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just an angst whore, but it was awesome. I loved Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto feels in the same vein. I was very impressed by the first episode. My heart broke when spoiler[Kazama sat in the library with the waterworks,] I wanted to give her a hug, but I don't want to be called not cute. Laughing

Why do girls always hold hand at the pinky? I have never held hands with a girl where just our pinkys were intertwinded. Maybe I am over anazlying, but I want to know if it is significant at all.

I agree that Sumi is at least a million times cuter than "Senpai."
censored666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
When I saw the promotional material for this series, I almost thought that it would be a poor man's attempt at another Aoi Hana, since the lead character designs were very similar, it was a yuri centric story, and it took place in a co-ed highschool which does not happen much too often in yuri titles. However, the first episode completely blew this preconceived notion straight out of the water with how touching it was. Especially with the interactions between the two main characters: they really do act as best friends would. Also, the episode really does tug at the heart strings quite a few times.

About that theme song....I love it! I can't stop listening to it! I wish that the closing song could have matched with the opening's level of quiet beauty.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this first episode. I thought that the piano music was great and really contributed to the mood. If the show keeps this up, I will have to consider it far better than Aoi Hana.

I felt like the show was really spoiler[legitimately sad. For example, when Kazama was imagining her confessing to Senpai, and Senpai accepting her feelings, I really pitied the characters. I think that it was okay that the characters sort of overreacted during the finale, with all the crying, because the whole episode was tense and you could feel the repression of feelings among everyone. The explosive ending just let all of those feelings go and the finale really got to me.]

I was so worried that this was going to be a trashy, fanservice otaku show. Please, please keep up the good work, Sasameki Koto.

censored666 wrote:
About that theme song....I love it! I can't stop listening to it! I wish that the closing song could have matched with the opening's level of quiet beauty.

Ah, agreed. I keep listening to the opening over and over. All of the smiling and poppy music and stars going on in the ending really just felt like it didn't fit.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I was really pleasantly suprised by this series, I really liked the music, the characters, and wow, really awesome. And what is this?! Yuri in a co-ed school? Is the world ending??
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
I know MistyPearl! I was sortof shocked to see a male, much less one actually be important to the story, even if he doesn't really say much and be around the same age. Library Boy will go down in history as my favorite male character in a yuri show! Second only to Pedo-Grabber and Messed Up Drama Teacher in Aoi Hana. Laughing
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
I was really pleasantly suprised by this series, I really liked the music, the characters, and wow, really awesome. And what is this?! Yuri in a co-ed school? Is the world ending??

I was equally surprised. I tend to avoid shows that cater to this sub-genre, but as a sucker for a good romance with a hint of melancholy; I was instantly drawn in. While it is to early to say for certain, this shows seems incredibly more realistic than other shows from this genre. One of the best touches was including both characters who share the romantic preferences of the main character with others who do not.

For a first episode, I am starting to care about what happens to the characters, and at least to me, that's always a sign of a series with a lot of potential. I will definitely continuing watching this show, and I can't wait to see what will happen next.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Poor Sumi-chan...her heartbreak continues in Episode 2. I sure didn't see the spoiler[cross-dressing twist coming,] but maybe that's because I haven't seen very many yuri series. Also it was fun to find out that Sumi-chan actually spoiler[is a karate black belt.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2, now this is where most of this series synopsis gets put into use! Poor Sumika, indeed! spoiler[That was a nice, cute blue dress Sumika wore, but then Ushio just flat out says she's not her type. Ouch! Mad ] Sumika shall persevere!

This also introduced Masaki spoiler[who turned out to be a delicious trap. His reason was that he attempt to get Sumika's attention since he's attracted to her, but his sister found out about it and decided to send his cross-dressing photos to a fashion magazine. So now he's modeling for the magazine as a girl. Unfortunately for Sumika, Ushio is unaware that the girl she keeps on squeeling about on the magazine was actually Masaki. Guess who's cuter in Ushio's mind? Laughing ]

Next episode, spoiler[let's just say that the function of that iPhone app that was posted a few weeks back will be important.........Wink ]

This episode was faithfully adapted from chapter 2 of the manga. I have a hunch of where a good stopping point for this series will be, and hopefully they'll consider doing a season 2.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3! (oh god, I hope this doesn't fall in the wayside like the Aoi Hana thread)

Remember this?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-16/sasameki-koto-yuri-anime-kissing-game-offered-on-iphone

spoiler[That is very much related to this episode plot of Ushio wanting to kiss cute girls much to Sumika's dismay so she decided that practice makes perfect. Hilarity ensues! At least the kissing scene between Miyako and Tomoe which happened in episode 1 now came into full circle.] There were moments, but I'll post those up later.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, quite enjoying this one. You can definitely put me down as being an angst whore, I am really liking this. I wish I had something a bit more substantive to add... Ahh, I have found that the animation is striking a nice balance between "realism" and the amusing chibified, disformed characters. Doing so helps the moments where the characters are drawn differently have a a bit more impact.

Well, it was an attempt to be substantive...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the humour in this. Poor Sumika! I couldn't help but laugh/cringe when Kazama said she spoiler[didn't want to practise kissing with her because she was too tall and therefore couldn't "get in the mood." And then to be willing to use a skeleton as a kissing partner rather than Sumika just because it was the right height, ha ha! The poignancy comes in with touches like seeing that Sumika has kept the mask Kazama was wearing...you just know it's a treasured memento for her.] Great series.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Aha! In episode 3 it seems we get an idea of the spoiler[Sasameki Koto practice kissing game offered not too long ago.

This episode still had some touching moments, which was good. I was worried that the show would forfeit its nice relationships for some fanservicey bits... Luckily I was not disappointing. I'm still really curious as to who that girl is who's popping up everywhere, the one with short hair and glasses. She looks cute.

One thing that always amazes me in these shows, though, is the enormous number of lesbians in one school. I'm guessing that they aren't all as strongly gay as Kazama, though.]
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
You may be suprised at the amount of lesbians at any one place; they tend to group up and become friends. I guess the other couple is important because they are in the group shot at the end.

This show would have so hilarious merchandise; strange pink lipstick that adapts to a different color on every character, a mask, and mini octopi. Is it sad that I might actually buy those things?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4