• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Darker than Black Side Stories' Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Cool. It sounds like they'll be getting another series out of the purchase, almost (though it depends on how long the side stories are...).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, it's expected that there will be 12 episodes from season 2 and 4 intervening episodes for a total of 16. So, it's not like they're going to have a whole separate show's worth of intervening episodes - more like on OVA (which it technically is, I suppose, given that the episodes only appear on the DVDs and BDs).

In any case, Darker than Black II is looking quite good thus far, and I'm eagerly anticipating the rest. The only thing that I find odd is that Funimation hasn't gotten their hands on it for simulcast. I'd have thought that they'd definitely want to license it, and they're already doing a simulcast of the new FMA, and both are made by Bones. Maybe it's because of some of the other companies involved, since it's probably not entirely the same set of companies for both shows. Still, I'd expect that Funimation will pick it up eventually. At this point, I'd say that it easily matches the previous series and probably surpasses it.
Afax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
From what I understand, it's expected that there will be 12 episodes from season 2 and 4 intervening episodes for a total of 16. So, it's not like they're going to have a whole separate show's worth of intervening episodes - more like on OVA (which it technically is, I suppose, given that the episodes only appear on the DVDs and BDs).

In any case, Darker than Black II is looking quite good thus far, and I'm eagerly anticipating the rest. The only thing that I find odd is that Funimation hasn't gotten their hands on it for simulcast. I'd have thought that they'd definitely want to license it, and they're already doing a simulcast of the new FMA, and both are made by Bones. Maybe it's because of some of the other companies involved, since it's probably not entirely the same set of companies for both shows. Still, I'd expect that Funimation will pick it up eventually. At this point, I'd say that it easily matches the previous series and probably surpasses it.

Both shows are by Bones + Aniplex. So I suppose it cant have anything due to companies invovled.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Heh, I wondered whether you'd post this. I watched the video last night.

I worry whether this series will actually be able to finish itself in 12 episodes... if they're going for a third season, they better be sure they have it, or I am going to be tearing out my hair like the end of last season. But I could easily see them doing 12 episodes, the OVAs on the Blu-Ray release, and then another 12 episodes. Just to, you know, torment the fans by dragging this out as long as possible.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Only reason I can see the series being 12 eps is because they have their resources strecthed with the new FMA which is reported to be 63 eps in length.
Perhaps like suggested, they will just take a break, then do another 12 eps further down the line to properly tie up all loose ends.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Only reason I can see the series being 12 eps is because they have their resources strecthed with the new FMA which is reported to be 63 eps in length.
Perhaps like suggested, they will just take a break, then do another 12 eps further down the line to properly tie up all loose ends.

That was a false report. Nobody knows how long the new FMA is going to be yet, since the manga isn't finished (though it is winding down to its conclusion as we speak).
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well now... we'll finally get an explanation of Hei's behaviour. Finally.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Well now... we'll finally get an explanation of Hei's behaviour. Finally.

Yaeh - after the season is over! Which is why I have to think they're splitting the season into two halves, with the next coming out in spring... or something??
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Heh, I wondered whether you'd post this. I watched the video last night.

I worry whether this series will actually be able to finish itself in 12 episodes... if they're going for a third season, they better be sure they have it, or I am going to be tearing out my hair like the end of last season. But I could easily see them doing 12 episodes, the OVAs on the Blu-Ray release, and then another 12 episodes. Just to, you know, torment the fans by dragging this out as long as possible.

Well, having seen the first six episodes of the second season, I can easily see it being resolved in six more. There aren't many characters involved. The plot has not been super complex. There's no clear goal for where things are supposed to end, so we could be either very close to it or very far from it. Certainly, the current conflict could be resolved in the remaining six. Whether that would be enough to satisfy fans, I don't know. That would depend on what those episodes contained. More would be cool, but this season is a very different format from the first, so it's hard to know what to expect. At this point, however, I don't see any reason to expect more than 12 (+ the 4 OVA episodes). However, that should be a lot clearer when we've actually seen most or all of those 12.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard anything about Darker Than Black s2 having only 12 episodes. Where did you get this info from?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I haven't heard anything about Darker Than Black s2 having only 12 episodes. Where did you get this info from?

Drat. I can't remember where exactly at the moment, and I can't find exactly where. I believe that it was on one of the fansubbing sites. They were talking about the OVAs, how many discs there would be, how many episodes per discs we were getting, and how many episodes that added up to.

Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment. This is going to be bugging me now. Hmmmm.

Ah, looking at wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Darker_than_Black:_Ryūsei_no_Gemini_episodes ), it says

Quote:
The series will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray beginning from December 23, 2009 with an estimated eight volumes. Each odd-numbered volume will contain two series episodes, while an OVA episode will be released along with one series episode in each even-numbered volume. Altogether four OVA episodes, they will be side-stories of the main characters Hei and Yin, with the events set in between Kuro no Keiyakusha and Ryūsei no Gemini.

Maybe that's where I read it, though I could have sworn that I read more about it on a fansub site somewhere. Wikipedia cites its source as (in Japanese) http://www.d-black.net/package/index.html .

So, unfortunately (and quite irritatingly), I can't recall exactly where I read about it, but at least the wikipedia page supports it, so I can give some evidence that I'm not totally off my rocker.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:

Both shows are by Bones + Aniplex. So I suppose it can't have anything due to companies invovled.

Well, I haven't really done any research on all the companies involved in both shows, but as I understand it, it's quite typical for an anime production to have quite a few companies throwing money in the pot, and I'm not sure that they all get their names on it (especially if they're not actually producing anything, just investing money in it). So, maybe there's some investor companies involved in Darker than Black II who aren't involved in FMA II, and they have enough say to be able to stop it from being simulcasted. But that's just speculation. Maybe Funimation just hasn't decided to get it yet, or maybe they have some reason for not wanting to simulcast it. Maybe Funimation has to license Darker than Black II via a different channel than they the one they used to license FMA II, and it has slowed things down to much or made it so that they couldn't simulcast it. Who knows.

It just seemed to me to be the most likely that it was not exactly the same set of companies involved with Darker than Black II as FMA II, and at least one of the companies involved with Darker than Black II vetoed having it simulcast, so if Funimation has picked it (which they haven't announced regardless of whether they have), they're unable to simulcast it. Still, it's all speculation at this point. Regardless, I hope they pick it up at some point and put both it and the first series on Blu-ray.

Personally, I don't care about simulcasts because the video quality is so low. Much as I'd like to have a legal release, I'll take HD fansubs over low quality streams any day. But I would like to have a legal HD release at some point (preferably with a dub).
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:

That was a false report. Nobody knows how long the new FMA is going to be yet, since the manga isn't finished (though it is winding down to its conclusion as we speak).

I'm sorry can you give me a source for that claim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1