• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TokiKake's Hosoda Had Offer to Direct Haruhi Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
That would have been an interesting combination. I'm imagining a poignant blooming romance between Haruhi and Kyon (well, that's kind of already happening). Razz
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Now that's interesting. I would have loved to have seen Haruhi with him at the helm.
W-General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Godly film or godliest film ever?

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for Summer Wars, which should also be extremely godly.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Now that's interesting. I would have loved to have seen Haruhi with him at the helm.

Same here. Haruhi would have undoubtedly been awesome had Hosoda been involved. He's one of my favorite anime directors.

Looking forward to Justin's review of Summer Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While he responded to the offer by saying he would like to do it, he did not formally accept the offer and it never came to past.
This could mean that though he initially said yes, the contract terms weren't good enough to sign, and so passed on it, or he simply changed his mind, and then declined.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
If Hosoda had been directing the upcoming Haruhi film, I'd at least have a sense of security knowing that no cheap gimmicks were going to be played.

Oh, well. I'm looking forward to Summer Wars being brought over here, along with One Piece movie 6.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This could mean that though he initially said yes, the contract terms weren't good enough to sign, and so passed on it, or he simply changed his mind, and then declined.

Nah, the way he said it, he made it pretty clear that he's a big Haruhi fan and would have loved to do it, but the timing didn't work out.

I'm actually happy this didn't come to pass. Hosoda is a great, great director, probably one of the best we have. But he's also a very warm, happy person and that shows in his movies. Haruhi, on the other hand, needs snark: it's a lightly embittered, caustic show. Most of its humor comes from Kyon being utterly appalled at Haruhi, and blithely resigning himself to whatever nonsense is going on at the time. Not to say he couldn't do it, but I just don't see Hosoda's very distinct tone meshing so well with that sensibility.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Nah, the way he said it, he made it pretty clear that he's a big Haruhi fan and would have loved to do it, but the timing didn't work out.

I'm actually happy this didn't come to pass. Hosoda is a great, great director, probably one of the best we have. But he's also a very warm, happy person and that shows in his movies. Haruhi, on the other hand, needs snark: it's a lightly embittered, caustic show. Most of its humor comes from Kyon being utterly appalled at Haruhi, and blithely resigning himself to whatever nonsense is going on at the time. Not to say he couldn't do it, but I just don't see Hosoda's very distinct tone meshing so well with that sensibility.

While I can agree with most of that (I wouldn't be so quick to call him warm and happy with something like One Piece Movie 6 under his belt), I'd simply love to see Haruhi looking and animating like a Hosoda movie myself. I think ART-wise it could work very well.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Oh, I have no doubt that he could pull off Haruhi. Just look at his One Piece movie. It's not a snarky film, no, but it is quite the dark one. If such a warm, happy person like Hosoda can do dark (and do it very well), I'd be willing to bet that he could do snarky just as well, if not better. He's really that talented.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Oh, I have no doubt that he could pull off Haruhi. Just look at his One Piece movie. It's not a snarky film, no, but it is quite the dark one. If such a warm, happy person like Hosoda can do dark (and do it very well), I'd be willing to bet that he could do snarky just as well, if not better. He's really that talented.

Oh, OK, good to know. I haven't seen that OP movie, so I had no idea. If the guy does have that kind of range, then all bets are off.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'm imagining a poignant blooming romance between Haruhi and Kyon (well, that's kind of already happening). Razz

I'm imagining a poignant blooming romance between Itsuki and Kyon.

And I think yeah at least from an artistic perspective at least Hosoda having a hand in it would have ended all the bitching and moaning about the K-ON!ification of the series.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank god it didn't happen. Don't want Hosoda wasting he's directing talent on a Haruhi film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1