• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: House of Five Leaves Manga Gets TV Anime Green-Lit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I liked the manga's premise, but it doesn't seem to have a lot going on to justify an anime. Does anything new happen later?
yblees

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I liked the manga's premise, but it doesn't seem to have a lot going on to justify an anime. Does anything new happen later?

Laughing Laughing
That's Natsume Ono for you.
This manga will be very "slice-of-life", until suddenly it's NOT!
Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
I find the Mangaka's story style is similar to Est Em's, possibly somewhat more polished.
hara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
It might be of interest to some people that Manglobe of Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo and Michiko to Hatchin fame seems to be the studio that will be animating this.

An anime fan found that information in the official site's source code: http://www.goyou-anime.jp/
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I haven't checked out the manga yet, but I'd be more than willing to check out an anime adaptation. Especially if manglobe is animating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I first read this article's title as "House of Leaves gets TV Anime green-lit" and my head nearly exploded.

Oh, House of Five Leaves.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I first read this article's title as "House of Leaves gets TV Anime green-lit" and my head nearly exploded.

Glad I wasn't the only one. However, as much as I love it, House of Leaves is the one book that I would argue is unfilmable given the format and how the mindscrew-ish elements are played out.
hakojo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Me too. My immediate reaction was "...wait, how would that work?"
yblees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
It might be of interest to some people that Manglobe of Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo ... studio animating this

Wow! I must definitely watch this then. Very Happy

RE: "House Of Leaves"
Haven't read that, but I'm sure it could be Anime'd.
Not saying it would be watchable, but... Razz
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
RE: "House Of Leaves"
Haven't read that, but I'm sure it could be Anime'd.
Not saying it would be watchable, but... Razz

A book about a man named Johnny who finds a dead blind guy named Zampano who has partially written a book (AKA the one we're reading) that describes a documentary about a house that has a mysterious labyrinth in it, and Johnny soon discovers that no one has heard of this documentary or the house (yet subtle clues indicate it might exist, and how did a blind guy describe with such insane detail a DOCUMENTARY?! Shocked ), and Johnny starts losing his sanity as the book progresses that the reader isn't even sure what is happening and what isn't, and the description of the documentary gets stranger especially when the main character of the documentary spoiler[appears to somehow have a copy of this very book, despite the fact it can't possibly have been published yet and burns said book to escape the laybrinth] and as the description along with the footnotes turn into a laybrinth themselves Shocked Shocked , and we read letters from Johnny's mother that progressively get crazier and contain codes inside with clues that make things even MORE confusing (Zampano = Johnny's father? Maybe, we never know for sure), and the book's first page has the editor (who appeared to be the one sane person in the book) adding a note about how the ending isn't sad enough and Johnny should rewrite it so the two children die awful deaths as well. Oh, and Johnny warns you early in the book that reading this may cause the same things to happen to you that happened to him (spoiler[watch out for minotaurs! Wink ]).

It's been a few years since I read it, but that should sum it up. I'd bow before the person able to properly adapt a book like HOL.

Interesting enough, apparently the author's next book is even MORE mindscrew-ish. I'm also scared to approach that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1