• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Revoltech Queen's Blade Nanael

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess there is no use in crying over spilled milk. Rolling Eyes You get what you paid for.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Between this and your last Queen's Blade figure review, I'm beginning to think that you like Nanael. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Here's something important to understand: sometimes Rob gets sent toys by distributors, and thus reviews them, just like our anime critics get sent DVDs by publishers.

Both Queen's Blade reviews have been the result of a distributor sending them in for the column. Rob isn't purchasing these himself.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
that was so wrong...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I for one believe this review was right on target, much like the milk upon the character depicted. That said, I should expect it'll leave a noticeable impact on those who read this column, although perhaps not like the impact left by the milk.

I assume that the second configuration of this model is intended for private viewing as opposed to shelf display. Either that, or collectors are becoming ever more liberal with their figure presentations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
comment deleted
Seljuk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Great review! THIS is what your other review should have been. You still retained all of your humor, horror, and disgust at the series, but it was still a review of the product.

There ya go. Still love your column. Wink
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure figures like this and anime like queen blade is what makes ignorant people think anime is perverted...
(wich in this case it is)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Well, I guess there is no use in crying over spilled milk. Rolling Eyes You get what you paid for.

I gotta admit that quote was the best ever.

Oh gawd, I couldn't pass this up. Another 'QB' figure. Of course I was wondering if she came with a milk bottle this time. You come up with some funny reviews. Laughing

I have yet to see a 'Cattleya' figure to be unleashed and fully posable.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy that they're making most, or possibly even all of the Queen's Blade characters for this revoltech line. My friend got Melona and Menace and she's enjoying them very much, I plan on purchasing Aludra and possibly Cattleya when they're up for sale.

It remains to be seen with Banpresto and a few others, but so far all of the Queen's Blade figure merchandise is pretty high quality and excellent. I hope it manages to stay somewhat like this. I'd still say the de facto official figures are the MegaHouse ones.

As for the milk spilling, I'm not sure all the QB Revoltechs will have that going on. The Melona has some good stuff, but most of the others just get naked and that's about it.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

Let me start off by saying that this is, overall, a great review. It's fair, accurate, and well-written. Rob Bricken is a great writer and very funny.

However, I'm rather tired of all the snide comments about how "depressingly perverted" this toy is. We get it. You don't like or appreciate pervy figures. Well, I think it's pretty rude to act like you're so above all this lower sexuality. Obviously, this figure appeals to people, or they wouldn't make it, because it wouldn't sell.

Anime figures are generally pervy - if there can be panties, then there are panties. It's just the nature of the beast. In fact, I'd say that if you're going to be an otaku, then you need to accept the general fetishism that comes along with anime fandom - or at least not complain about how awful it is.

From most of Rob's reviews, it seems that he is VERY biased against "sexy" figures. He weeps for humanity over squishy boobs, nipples, and now a "bukkake" figure. Wouldn't it be better for the reviewer to at least appreciate (or at least snicker at) the perverted nature of these toys/figures ... rather than express somewhat offensive horror?

I can't help but think "lighten up" Rolling Eyes
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought the pictures were supposed to be NSFW. They're perfectly SFW when all the naughty bits are blurred out! False advertising! Anyways, Queen's Blade and its merchandise line isn't for everyone. I do appreciate a fair review of a figure that you obviously have an enormous problem having. Feel free to send it to me if you don't want it Smile It'll go nicely with the great Menace figure I have on pre-order.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Why should he? he's allowed to think pervy figures are just a bit over the top of squicky. And anyways his reviews are funny for it.

And I dont think he's harping on the sexuality angle of it, or saying that he's against sexuality in general...its more the sad reality of the fact that someone needs a naked dirty tiny plastic toy....you know, in lieu of a real live naked dirty lady?

In any case, he's allowed to not "lighten up" if he dosnt want to. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Why should he? he's allowed to think pervy figures are just a bit over the top of squicky. And anyways his reviews are funny for it.

And I don't think he's harping on the sexuality angle of it, or saying that he's against sexuality in general...its more the sad reality of the fact that someone needs a naked dirty tiny plastic toy....you know, in lieu of a real live naked dirty lady?

In any case, he's allowed to not "lighten up" if he dosnt want to. :/

I agree that nobody should be forced out of their comfort zone, but ... shouldn't someone who feels that way about pevy anime figures not be reviewing ... pervy anime figures? I know he doesn't get to choose which figures he reviews, but still. There are so many pervy ones out there that you have to expect it.

And the whole "someone needs a naked dirty tiny plastic toy ... in lieu of a real live naked dirty lady" is just a silly thing to say. I'm a straight female and I can still appreciate ecchi anime and figures. They can be cute and sexy. Otaku can enjoy sexy/dirty figures and have actual real live sexy/dirty people in their lives ... lol.

I could understand shaking your head and chuckling at the fact that this figure exists, but it isn't like it's ruining humanity or anything.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Gosh! I've just learnt a new word -"bu... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4