• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CG Astro Boy's Imagi Studio Lays Off 300+ Employees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Astro Boy (not heard good things about it, but I'll watch it at least once), but I loved their TMNT film, so it bites to see more and more problems occurring for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarabim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy was an excellent movie, much better than the Turtle movie. It had beautiful animation, great voices, above-par script...given its overall high quality, I don't think the movie itself is at fault, I think it was the victim of poor advertising and scheduling. It's honestly one of my all-time favorite animated films. I'm sorry Imagi is having such trouble, but it sounds like it wasn't very well run to begin with.
SonGokuGT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved TMNT and thought that Astro Boy was really entertaining. I really hope that Gatchaman sees the light of day. This is a great studio that I wish would get more support.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope they at least get their residual checks for the Astro Boy dvd sales... Crying or Very sad
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Astro Boy was good, even if though it had some pet peeves that made it go away from it's original concept. But still a good popcorn movie.

I hope the Gatchaman movie will do as good as Astro Boy did. Cause I was hoping for the Tetsujin 28 CG movie to get going too, if that one is still in development that is.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I certainly don't want to see them go, but from the looks of it, the overall consensus is that what they've done wasn't worth the money that they spent on it. Too few people saw Astro Boy for it to be profitable. And no matter how good it might have been (I haven't seen it, so I can't say), if not enough people think it's good enough to shell out money for it, it's not going to be profitable and will ultimately have been an economic mistake. If they want to survive, they need to actually make movies that will do well. It may be harsh, but it's true.

Of course, the fact that having one movie do that poorly could bring them down just goes to show how important it can be for a movie studio to be large with lots of resources rather than small. A large studio can afford failures. They don't like them, and if they have enough of them, they'll still fail, but not everything they do has to make money for them to survive. If every movie you make has to be profitable, however, then you'll almost certainly bite the dust eventually. It's too hard to make movies which are guaranteed to be profitable to rely on them always being profitable.

I definitely hope that Imagi pulls out of this, but they're obviously going to have to do better at making stuff that sells well if they want to survive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1