• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gets Stage Play in 2011

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0rth0r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote

I SO wanna see this. Hopefully it'll live to the glory of the anime.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Wait--how?? I mean, I assume that a part of LotGH is going to be adapted. There's no way you could fit the whole thing with its cast of thousands and years of plot into a single stage play. Also... how are you going to get epic space battles into a stage play? I can't see this turning out any way other than bad. Or at least massively inferior to the anime.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
This is the most amazing news ever. Hopefully they don't become overly ambitious. They should stick to the very first part of the story. Also, it should be a musical. BECAUSE.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Man... I've only seen the first 26 episodes/1st season, and it was SOOO much better than all the rumors said it was!!!

The fact that their still doing stuff with it in Japan, makes me happy (not to mention their recent Blu-ray release...)!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
How long is the play? Seven days long?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm struggling to imagine how this would work but it's pretty cool none the less.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... how are you going to get epic space battles into a stage play?

Exactly what I've been wondering. Implied battle offstage via sound effects just won't do. But yeah, this sounds awesome.

Somehow the thought of Lohengramm's actor wearing a long, blond, curly wig makes me giggle :p
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Also, it should be a musical. BECAUSE.

I find the image of Reinhard and Yang battling through song both distrubing and totally awesome... Though I'd give anything to hear a Reinhard song by his original voice actor ^^ Too good to ever happen!

I'm curious about what part of the story the stage play can actually cover, and how will they succeed in cutting something out of its (massive) context just like that... Unless it's not actually a part of the canonical storyline, but instead something based on it, or based on the same fictional universe. That'd be just weird though O_o
Yet I can't be unhappy about a combination of my two passions, Ginei and theatre.

We'll just have to wait and see!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

The fact that their still doing stuff with it in Japan, makes me happy (not to mention their recent Blu-ray release...)!

Except for the movies, the Japanese blu-rays are upscales. Either they didn't think it was worth spending money on a new HD telecine -or- lost the original film after they did redid some of the animation digitally for the DVD release -or- they didn't want to the old animation to look much better than digitally redone portions from the DVD release. So, it's still very expensive and barely any better than the DVDs. And for these reasons, the reviews on amazon.co.jp are almost all negative. Shame, the show deserved better.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
This news is awesome beyond awesomeness. Surprised

I soooooo wish I could see the play live!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1