• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam UC 1 is New #1 Anime BD in 1st-Week Sales

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
What about numbers overseas?

I can look at 'ranks' on Amazon, but that doesn't really tell me anything.
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear about Summer Wars short #1 success.
Good job on Gundam though.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
What about numbers overseas?

I can look at 'ranks' on Amazon, but that doesn't really tell me anything.

Hopefully it does well, I was ecstatic when they told us this was going to get dubbed so I hope any future attempts they make at something like this by BV after Unicorn's 6 volumes also get the same dual audio track treatment with the original Japanese and a good new R1-company dub like this one got.

The proper dual-language release plus Amazon pricing was a nice combination that easily destroyed the majority of their short lived stint in R1 with their lame over-priced sub-only releases, after they abandoned those costly but nice collector's style dual language releases they started with.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
As neat as it is for my favourite franchise to be doing so well in today's anime market the speed at which this title changes hands probably means it won't have it by the end of this year if it even has it by the end of this season.

Still a very promisingly successful start to the Universal Centuries return and hopefully it means more of it in the coming years.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This is very good to hear, maybe the cash flow will somehow get them to step up production and release more than just two episodes a year.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Grats for Unicorn. I was happy that they got back to UC. I still need to watch it though.

Still, Eva 2.0 will most likely destroy those numbers, what with the reported 88,000 preorders on Amazon alone.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Grats for Unicorn. I was happy that they got back to UC. I still need to watch it though.

Still, Eva 2.0 will most likely destroy those numbers, what with the reported 88,000 preorders on Amazon alone.

I can easily see the Haruhi movie breaking the 100,000 barrier since it has that special type of ultra devoted fanbase that buys 10's of copies of the same DVD/BR just to push it up in the rankings and is also a movie. I'm not sure even Eva 2.0 can compete with that, but then again we're talking about an almost 15 year old franchise that has been re-released more times than I can possibly count and still sold consistently well each and every time so it could be interesting to see what comes out on top by the end of the year.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait? Doesn't this already have english and english subtitles? I thought this time around they were working together with a US group to make it a simultaneous release?

*Checks Amazon details*

Hmm... it says its got English in it. Anyways if its got English subs, then its a buy for me come my next pay check.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a worldwide simultaneous release. So it has:
Japanese and English Audio
Japanese, English, French, Chinese subtitles (and probably a couple more I missed)

Already got my copy - arrived from Amazon on day 1 Very Happy

What a triumphant return for Universal Century...it almost makes me want to weep tears of joy when I see Gundam fans who have only watched Gundam 00 and SEED getting into UC through Unicorn. It's about time!

TatsuGero23 wrote:
Wait? Doesn't this already have english and english subtitles? I thought this time around they were working together with a US group to make it a simultaneous release?

*Checks Amazon details*

Hmm... it says its got English in it. Anyways if its got English subs, then its a buy for me come my next pay check.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

I can easily see the Haruhi movie breaking the 100,000 barrier since it has that special type of ultra devoted fanbase that buys 10's of copies of the same DVD/BR just to push it up in the rankings and is also a movie. I'm not sure even Eva 2.0 can compete with that, but then again we're talking about an almost 15 year old franchise that has been re-released more times than I can possibly count and still sold consistently well each and every time so it could be interesting to see what comes out on top by the end of the year.

Won't happen. While I'm sure the Haruhi movie will sell very well, its popularity is rather small compared to Eva. The first Eva movie sold several hundred thousand copies between DVD/BD releases. 2.0 is looking to surpass it by a good margin just from pre-orders. Though the Haruhi movie is still in theatres, its final tally should be less than 1/5 of Eva 2.0 in theatres.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This surprises me, I didn't realize Gundam was so popular. I have never even seen one of them, to many of them lol. Congratz to them though.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
This surprises me, I didn't realize Gundam was so popular. I have never even seen one of them, to many of them lol. Congratz to them though.

There's a handful of franchises that are basically wired into Japan's culture from top to bottom.

Gundam is definitely one of them.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Summer Wars' #1 ranking got usurped rather quickly. =/

BTW, what were This is It's numbers in Japan??
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Gundam not popular in Japan? That's like saying fish and rice aren't popular in Japan.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Oh please, Haruhi is no where near the juggernaut that Evangelion is and that's not even taking the second season into account which was like an over 50% drop in sales.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=166594

Quote:
ref. the box office ranking of the anime movies in 2009.
Rank/ box office/ screens/ weeks
*1, $48,192,309 194scr *7w One Piece: Strong World
*2, $40,631,237 366scr *5w Pokemon Diamond & Pearl the Movie: Arceus - Choukoku no Jikuu e
*3, $40,303,632 109scr 14w Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
*4, $35,292,488 303scr *8w Detective Conan Movie 13: The Raven Chaser
*5, $23,825,776 288scr *8w Doraemon: The New Record of Nobita - Spaceblazer
*6, $17,425,019 114scr 10w Summer Wars
*7, $11,004,517 311scr *6w Major: Yuujou no Ikkyuu
*8, $10,097,019 153scr *6w Crayon Shin-chan Movie 17
*9, $*9,099,022 146scr *5w Eiga Precure All-Stars DX: Minna Tomodachi - Kiseki no Zenin Daishuugou
10, $*8,341,362 148scr *6w Fresh Precure! Omocha no Kuni wa Himitsu ga Ippai!?
11, $*7,769,864 266scr *3w Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 3 - Hi no Ishi wo Tsugu Mono
12, $*7,522,074 308scr *5w Penguin no Mondai Movie
13, $*6,112,698 311scr *5w Layton Kyouju to Eien no Uta Hime
14, $*6,074,952 *24scr *5w The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
15, $*4,839,216 *31scr *5w Macross Frontier ~Itsuwari no Utahime~

and from the same Dengeki article

Quote:
*1, Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
*2, Summer Wars
*3, Macross Frontier ~Itsuwari no Utahime~
*4, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st
*5, Tales of Vesperia ~The First Strike~
*6, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
*7, One Piece: Strong World

I'll beat the first Macross Frontier movie outsells Haruhi as well on Bluray. End of the year it should look like for first week sales...

Eva 2.2
Macross Frontier
Gundam Unicorn 1
Gundam Unicorn 2
Summer Wars

Than the next 3 in any order

Evangelion 1.11
Bakemonogatari 6
Haruhi Movie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2