• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Debuts Official Web Portal for New Anime - 400+ Episodes at Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so now FUNimation, Viz, and even Neo-ADV have online players (well, ADV uses TheAnimeNetwork online = same thing)

Do any other companies have online portals?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
*Hopes they put up episodes of Hunter X Hunter*
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Okay, so now FUNimation, Viz, and even Neo-ADV have online players (well, ADV uses TheAnimeNetwork online = same thing)

From what I can tell VIZ's just embeds videos from Hulu. And this site has been up for a month or two I think. But it looks like it has a management system, which is more then what FUNi and TAN have.
Glimon_91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, nice idea Viz, I approve Razz

But I cant watch videos over Mexico Sad
(WTH, Crunchyroll lets me watch Naruto over here ¬¬)
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
"Yay", yet another web portal that I can't use because I don't live in the US...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
It uses Hulu, so it's crap.

FUNimation and Crunchyroll are 100x better because they don't exclude people who live in Mexico or Canada. Mad
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
It's not an improvement if it's not accessible to more people.

Excluding countries outside the US is stupid. They started these sites to counter fansubbing, yet as long as they exclude other countries it only encourages people to support fansubs for shows they can't get legally online. Based upon what I've seen, about 75% of those looking for English material live outside the US. (That includes not only Canadians and Mexicans but Europeans (including UK) , Australians and even Russians.)

And with TV stations constantly dropping anime, online becomes the only free viewing alternative. Then as more people turn to legal streaming sources they're going to wind up supporting those companies that service them. In other words, VIZ could loose a lot of future business to Funimation.

If you're serious about selling online, don't limit yourself to just one country. The Internet is an International market.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Excluding countries outside the US is stupid.

If you're serious about selling online, don't limit yourself to just one country. The Internet is an International market.

I think the issue is that VIZ, and other US distributors, generally only have the rights to distribute to specific places. If they, in this case VIZ, had "region free" online streaming, the Japanese license holders would say, "Hey, you don't have the right to do that." While VIZ, etc, can theoretically purchase global streaming rights, it makes zero business sense to do that at this point--their focus is on the US market. They're not a charity--they stream to advertise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
Excluding countries outside the US is stupid.

I think the issue is that VIZ, and other US distributors, generally only have the rights to distribute to specific places. If they, in this case VIZ, had "region free" online streaming, the Japanese license holders would say, "Hey, you don't have the right to do that." While VIZ, etc, can theoretically purchase global streaming rights, it makes zero business sense to do that at this point--their focus is on the US market. They're not a charity--they stream to advertise.

WTF with your charity talk, we're neighbors right up north and nothing you buy we can't buy, got it!? We got trade agreements for a reason and we got plenty of cash to spend on anime and other products. There is no reason to only focus on US market. You're freaking poorer than many of us atm with your economic situation and the cost to live here is cheaper, thanks to free medical care, plenty of jobs and resources.

VIZ Media, please deblock the streaming across north america. They're losing money on the contrary when they don't open up a wider market. Thanks for the notice about americans being self-centered as usual.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm 100% behind a streaming website for VIZ Media but open it up for CANADA and MEXICO. We're all part of the same deal, and as far as Canada is concerned it's a big market to sell anime products.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
_V_ wrote:

From what I can tell VIZ's just embeds videos from Hulu. And this site has been up for a month or two I think. But it looks like it has a management system, which is more then what FUNi and TAN have.

Just realized, if all they added was the social networking/ management stuff, they are probably trying to beat FUNimation to the whole social networking thing.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
"The requested video cannot be displayed in your region, because we are racists."
What else to expect?
Even Japanese videos can be seen here, even though we don't speak Japanese, yet we're blocked from a country that shares the same language.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
I learned Japanese because of anime so please let me see my anime :*(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1