• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse, TMS Confirmed on To Aru Hikūshi e no Tsuioku

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendomolena

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for steampunk designs.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:

another Last Exile type show wouldn't be bad, but what's up with all these To Aru (A Certain...) shows lately? Has it suddenly become a new trend after Index?
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
bendomolena wrote:

another Last Exile type show wouldn't be bad, but what's up with all these To Aru (A Certain...) shows lately? Has it suddenly become a new trend after Index?

Well, Railgun was a spinoff, so it's understandable. Anything else, though...
unready

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
but what's up with all these To Aru (A Certain...) shows lately? Has it suddenly become a new trend after Index?

Railgun (manga then TV) was a spin-off of Index (novel then TV then manga) set in the same world by the same creator/author. This novel (soon to be TV) is in an unrelated world from someone completely different. Both creators starting titles with toaru is just a linguistic coincidence.

Somebody somewhere needs to make a decision that toaru is one word or two, though, and stick with it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
It's a new trend as a title (if you can call one spinoff and one entirely different title a "trend"), but Japan has always loved vague indicators like "certain" and "that". How many times have we seen a shonen manga use the phrase "that attack" or "that jutsu" when they don't want to come right out and say the name of something new that's being worked on, as well as "a certain person" when they don't want to give away too much about soon to be introduced characters. I'm thinking we could see more of this in the future, but I hope it isn't abused.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
but what's up with all these To Aru (A Certain...) shows lately? Has it suddenly become a new trend after Index?

Railgun (manga then TV) was a spin-off of Index (novel then TV then manga) set in the same world by the same creator/author. This novel (soon to be TV) is in an unrelated world from someone completely different. Both creators starting titles with toaru is just a linguistic coincidence.

Somebody somewhere needs to make a decision that toaru is one word or two, though, and stick with it.
To me it looks better with a space so I write it with one when I talk about the shows but technically the kanji wouldnt have a space and it really depends on the transliterer how it will be. Unless there's some official romaji spelling from the creators (like Lantis's romanization of Aira Yuhki ..which ANN still has yet to fix.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1