• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: July a big month for Monkey Punch fans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
If only Geneon would release the first series in the United States. Given that Miyazaki worked on it, they could use his most famous works to advertise for it ("Featuring the creator of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke," or something like that).
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well it could've been done with Castle of Cagliostro too. I hate seeing all these "Miyazaki DVD packs" with all his "greatest" works, and it includes everything except CoC. It really burns me up. In my opinion, CoC is the best movie he's ever done ('cept for Mononoke). It's just because the American anime market turns to Adult Swim and they automatically hate Lupin just because it's old. But they don't realize that Lupin is still very alive in Japan, even after over 30 years, and they don't realize that it was Lupin the 3rd, with it's jazzy, realistic style, that inspired their Adult Swim favorites such as Cowboy Bebop. It's old, but it's one of the best anime on crappy Cartoon Network right now.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Meh, you guys talk like he created Lupin. He only directed 12 of the 23 episodes from the first season of the TV series, and while he was the director of CoC, he was only one of two script writers, and one of two character designers (three if you count Monkey Punch). Let Monkey Punch have the credit for his characters, Miyazaki gets enough on his own.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Meh, you guys talk like he created Lupin.

I purposely said "featuring the creator," not "from the creator".
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Emerje's right. I was talking like that, but this article is about Monkey Punch's creations anyway, right? I wonder what Mankatsu is gonna be like... In one of the screenshots, I saw a character that's featured in one of his original web comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1