• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FBI Shuts Down Comics Scan Site

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Now start doing something about manga sites.

I don't mind that they exist, but it's annoying in the huge quantity that they're in, especially when people say

"what, you actually BUY comics?"
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm so used to my boyfriend buying comics it never really crossed my mind they have scanlaton sites as well. That and the comic book companies are a lot better shutting places down. Though I do wounder if they had any of those comics malibu made based on anime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Now start doing something about manga sites.

I don't mind that they exist, but it's annoying in the huge quantity that they're in, especially when people say

"what, you actually BUY comics?"

Exactly. And yet, people wonder why manga companies won't license every series under the sun.

Recently, I was searching a forum and instead of supporting the manga company, they blatantly stated they would rather read online and not purchase the physical copy the manga.

Justify and rationalize all you want, but stealing is stealing. No matter how it's spun, rationalized or justified, stealing will always be stealing.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY. If this is the beginning of a shut down of *two major online manga reading sites*, I'll be a happy girl. Very Happy

Do not evade wordfilters ~Zalis

Edit: My apologies. I wasn't intentionally evading anything, but I'll keep that in mind in the future... Confused

Last edited by FeralKat on Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
It's especially ridiculous to me as an avid comic book fan to know that there are sites with entire comic books available. The typical comic only costs $3, which isn't exactly a hardship. Plus, I know that DC puts lots of previews up and leaves them up for quite some time, so there is ample opportunity to sample.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for buying comics and manga but I still like to read scanlations. I hope they don't shut down "you know who".
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I prefer buying manga (I actually bought the latest One Piece volumes yesterday). I only look at Scanlations if I have to for some reason.

My best friend on the other hand, reads scanlations of the latest chapters of One Piece but that it... if there's a volume he really wants he buys it... but that's it... I hope.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Justify and rationalize all you want, but stealing is stealing. No matter how it's spun, rationalized or justified, stealing will always be stealing.

Who's talking about stealing? I thought this was about copyright infringement.

Quote:
It's especially ridiculous to me as an avid comic book fan to know that there are sites with entire comic books available. The typical comic only costs $3, which isn't exactly a hardship.

Which is significantly more than it used to be, even accounting for inflation. That's what, $0.10 a page? A ~200 page tankobon in Japan can go for as little as 420 yen. Even in the US, it'll only go for $10, or $0.05 a page. And even that's $10 for half an hour's entertainment -- one hour at most -- compared to much cheaper novels. If I want to buy all of Knights of the Zodiac, it'll set me back well over $200.

There's a reason most of my manga reading these days is from the public library. Wait, is it bad if I do that? Or is it bad, but not as bad as infringing copyright, since there's a practical limit on the rate at which many people can benefit from a single sold item?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Knowing nothing about this site, did they offer older titles in a series, including "current" story arcs? I could see a demand for new fans to want to experience the fantastic story arcs of old, especially if they happen to be out of print. Is there any legal means to read old comics without spending a fortune at the auction house?

However... THEFT IS THEFT! I'm glad they shut the place down, and honestly, is anyone surprised? What with Media giants like Disney acquiring Marvel and the US comic book industry churning out the current generation of MEGA-blockbusters for Hollywood, is it any wonder the FBI crushed these fools? US comics are a multi-billion dollar industry with many sources of revenue, nasty legal teams, and the full-weight of the law in their corner.

People who support these sites are thieves, not fans. Shut them all down, I say.

Support the artists and publishers!
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
They can work hard to stop piracy if the effort is put into it. Problem is, another site will replace it next week. I assume it will be called HTMLcomics.net
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:

Who's talking about stealing? I thought this was about copyright infringement.

Quote:
It's especially ridiculous to me as an avid comic book fan to know that there are sites with entire comic books available. The typical comic only costs $3, which isn't exactly a hardship.

Which is significantly more than it used to be, even accounting for inflation. That's what, $0.10 a page? A ~200 page tankobon in Japan can go for as little as 420 yen. Even in the US, it'll only go for $10, or $0.05 a page. And even that's $10 for half an hour's entertainment -- one hour at most -- compared to much cheaper novels. If I want to buy all of Knights of the Zodiac, it'll set me back well over $200.

There's a reason most of my manga reading these days is from the public library. Wait, is it bad if I do that? Or is it bad, but not as bad as infringing copyright, since there's a practical limit on the rate at which many people can benefit from a single sold item?

There's a key difference though. The library paid for the copy and has a legal ability to loan manga to you. That's not the case with many sites.

Also, just because something costs more than it used to, it's ok to take it? I'm not really following the logic.

Gasero wrote:
They can work hard to stop piracy if the effort is put into it. Problem is, another site will replace it next week. I assume it will be called HTMLcomics.net

It's better than just rolling over. A defeatist attitude doesn't really help the situation. This at least shows that they care enough to do something about it.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu May 06, 2010 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Knowing nothing about this site, did they offer older titles in a series, including "current" story arcs? I could see a demand for new fans to want to experience the fantastic story arcs of old, especially if they happen to be out of print. Is there any legal means to read old comics without spending a fortune at the auction house?

As far as I know, Marvel has a pretty awesome selection of digital comic versions of backissues at a pretty resonable monthly subscription. DC still needs to get on the digital bandwagon, but they release a lot of the older stuff in Black and White Showcase volumes, which are huge and relatively cheap.

However, knowing Comic Book fans (and being an off-and-on again reader myself), most emphasis is on what is happening week-to-week, and not so much on the past. Besides a few major events and miniseries, I don't see much activity around about previous issues and story arcs. The creator-owned works are a bit different though (Y the Last Man, Walking Dead, etc).
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
This scared the crap out of me but it only for U.S. comic books. most of the manga I read are not licensed in the U.S. any way.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
I can't stand reading manga on anything other than paper. the ONLY manga i've EVER read scanlated was a chapter of Karin/Chibi Vampire, because I didn't want to wait 3 months to read the next chapter, since the newest volume at the time ended on a cliffhanger.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Obviously there is some sort of problem with the state of mind of the people who go around and pirate things. It's understandable for a small amount of this to take place for comics that are widely unavailable, but that sort of thing then becomes a gateway into widespread piracy. Why do people do these things? They can't possibly believe that the theft they are committing is making anyone's life better, can they? Sure, it may be simpler to pull up a comic on your computer and not have to dig around on the shelf or find a copy of it in the store, but using that as an excuse to not support the creators that worked so hard on these comics is inexcusable! The public needs to wake up to the damage their actions can have on the industry.

I could rant about this all night, but I think I'll stop here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6