• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse to Bring Ghost Talker's Daydream Manga Back

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
awesome to see "reader demand" bringing back titles, especially in the current economic crisis ... Dark Horse manga rules!

(too bad i was never into this particular series to begin with)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It was canceled? Didn't know about this. I guess it's such a niche title that sales determined whether they wanted to finish or not. Well, glad to see that they are deciding to finish it up. It's not a long series so they should have just finished it.

I guess chances of reviving 'Narutaru' are nothing but wishful thinking. Chances it will never happen, but yet they only needed 5 more vols. to finish. I really hate when a company decides to publish a book and then drops it halfway. But I also realized sometimes that can't be helped. Though I won't stop hating that way of doing things either.
CMB

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
About time. Cool
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I am really excited to hear this news. I had started buying the Japanese manga in order to get a copy of this series, but now (hopefully) Dark Horse will finish this one out. Now if they can just finish Eden: It's an Endless World and bring back Reiko the Zombie Shop life will be good. Very Happy
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means they're gonna bring back MPD-Psycho. Pretty please? Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess chances of reviving 'Narutaru' are nothing but wishful thinking. Chances it will never happen, but yet they only needed 5 more vols. to finish. I really hate when a company decides to publish a book and then drops it halfway. But I also realized sometimes that can't be helped. Though I won't stop hating that way of doing things either.

That's the only title in particular I'd love to see brought back, but it was canceled years ago, and I have no idea how well it did it sales. Still, I'D buy it if they continued it. I wonder if they even still own the license to it.
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
It was canceled? Didn't know about this. I guess it's such a niche title that sales determined whether they wanted to finish or not. Well, glad to see that they are deciding to finish it up. It's not a long series so they should have just finished it.

Dark Hose canceling Narutaru is the reason I'll never buy anything from them again.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I had reserved my copy of this a couple years ago (or so?) and had been wondering about it for a long time, since Right Stuf never canceled it like they did with Tokyopop's next volumes of Steady Beat and Life. I didn't know it was flat-out canceled, I thought they were just working out some stuff or something. Then the Dark Horse sale came and went and I find that the 4th volume is still coming, and all thanks to "reader demand" as this article reveals. Very glad to know this manga has its audience, for I'm a part of it!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Not only did they cancel Narutaru, but weren't the volumes they released edited as well?
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not only did they cancel Narutaru, but weren't the volumes they released edited as well?

Yeah, they were.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Yeah, they were.

Edited and flipped. Even so, if they continued, I'd still buy it. I don't usually support edited manga, but I give Narutaru/Shadow Star leeway because it was released here in the early 2000s, and some of the stuff featuring under-aged children are now apparently grounds to send you to jail. In fact, I believe the main reason Dark Horse dropped it was because of all the stuff happening with under-aged kids. They thought they originally licensed a safe, teen-friendly comic, and instead discovered half way through it was a heck of a lot darker than what it first appeared to be.

Ah, memories of picking Narutaru up in my comic shop via Issue 1 of Super Manga Blast when I was 13. Loved every page of it, but I don't think I should have been reading it. Then again they didn't really develop a rating system yet, so I probably shouldn't have been reading a lot of the things I got my hands on at that age.
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sudo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Yeah, they were.

Edited and flipped. Even so, if they continued, I'd still buy it. I don't usually support edited manga, but I give Narutaru/Shadow Star leeway because it was released here in the early 2000s, and some of the stuff featuring under-aged children are now apparently grounds to send you to jail. In fact, I believe the main reason Dark Horse dropped it was because of all the stuff happening with under-aged kids. They thought they originally licensed a safe, teen-friendly comic, and instead discovered half way through it was a heck of a lot darker than what it first appeared to be.

Ah, memories of picking Narutaru up in my comic shop via Issue 1 of Super Manga Blast when I was 13. Loved every page of it, but I don't think I should have been reading it. Then again they didn't really develop a rating system yet, so I probably shouldn't have been reading a lot of the things I got my hands on at that age.

That's their fault for being ignorant of what they were paying money to license. Why wouldn't you do your research ahead of time? It boggles the mind.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:

That's their fault for being ignorant of what they were paying money to license. Why wouldn't you do your research ahead of time? It boggles the mind.

True. Even so, if a company knew what was to come in Narutaru, the chance of it being brought over here would probably be something similar to a snowball's chance in hell. I'm glad they brought what they did over, or I might never have discovered it.

In Dark Horse's defense there stands a possibility that when they licensed it, the "bad" stuff hadn't been published yet, and they may have only been a few volumes into the manga in Japan (I think they were up to volume 5 or 6 when it was brought over here). Outside of the whole wrist cutting thing, it took several volumes for them to get to some of the more questionable material.
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sudo wrote:

True. Even so, if a company knew what was to come in Narutaru, the chance of it being brought over here would probably be something similar to a snowball's chance in hell. I'm glad they brought what they did over, or I might never have discovered it.

In Dark Horse's defense there stands a possibility that when they licensed it, the "bad" stuff hadn't been published yet, and they may have only been a few volumes into the manga in Japan (I think they were up to volume 5 or 6 when it was brought over here). Outside of the whole wrist cutting thing, it took several volumes for them to get to some of the more questionable material.

There were already seven volumes out in Japan before Dark Horse released the first one in English, so I find that to be very unlikely. They release Berserk uncensored, and it's much worse than Narutaru in terms of violence. If they felt they needed to censor it, they shouldn't have licensed it in the first place. I thought they were a company that prided themselves on licensing more mature content.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sudo wrote:

True.

Actually, not true. Dark Horse published the title but they didn't license it direct from the Japanese publisher - it was "packaged" by Studio Proteus (as were most of Dark Horse's manga at that time) and, as such, it was Studio Proteus' responsibility to give Dark Horse an accurate picture of what the series consisted of and to adapt it in such a fashion as to make it palatable to the English-language market.

Sudo wrote:
Dark Hose canceling Narutaru is the reason I'll never buy anything from them again.

Uh-huh. Given that all of the major US manga publishers have edited and / or dropped titles at various times, I guess that means you don't buy any manga at all?

I can't help thinking that all of these people who pop up on ANN all the time and say they're never going to buy anything ever again from Viz / DH / CMX / whoever because a title was dropped or a nipple was airbrushed (and in spite of all of the completed and unedited titles those companies publish) are either cutting off their noses to spite their face or simply trying to justify their scanlation habits.

Sudo wrote:
There were already seven volumes out in Japan before Dark Horse released the first one in English

But given how long it takes to negotiate a license, there wouldn't have been seven volumes out when Studio Proteus set about securing the title.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2