• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse's Manga Sales Up 13%, Vertical Also Up 18%

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
"New work from CLAMP" must be Gate 7. However, wasn't it a project made WITH Dark Horse to begin with?
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.. new CLAMP Project? Idk, hope its a seller.

But, no it's always good to see that parts of the American Manga & Anime Industry are doing well. Lets just hope that some of the other less fortunate companies like Viz Media and Bandai Entertainment see some better returns this year.
Arcm501

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope they start releasing Eden again, since they are somewhat close to finishing off the series 12 out of 18 books.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's those mangettes we were hearing about some time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear some good news. Vertical is one of my favorite publishers, I hope they keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some good news. With all the lay offs and companies going under its great to hear this. It don't hurt that the news is coming from my two favorite publishers, Dark Horse and Vertical. Now we just need some more Eden: It's an Endless World!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
That's the way industry works. Some companies go up, and some go down. It's natural for bubbles to grow, burst, and then slowly grow again. One day the manga industry will probably end up thriving again, but for now companies have to make do.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
hehe I helped Vertigo by buying Osamu Tezuka's MW. I also got the To Terra. Still I think that Twin Spica wasn't the best choice of manga. Still I'm liking their releases and I'm hoping new stuff by them.

Also Dark Horse has some good stuff lately like, Old Boy, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Tanpenshu, Ohikkoshi and so on. Still these are all non-mainstream stuff. So watching them taking on CLAMP is a bit of disappointing. I hope they continue to release interesting stuff.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Since every library I've been in that has a manga collection has a HUGE stash of Verticle-published Osamu Tezuka, I had to believe they were doing well. They may not do mass-market stuff like Naruto, but there is a definite audience for classic works.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear Dark Horse is doing well, since I buy several of their titles. Heck, I just got an email notification from amazon offering me 34% of the Blade of the Immortal art book. Very tempting...

Edit: Oh, and may I add, both of these companies seem to be the ones that go after people for posting works they license online more than anyone else. Maybe it isn't the huge waste of time as the leeches (and some true fans) often claim.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first volume of Twin Spica, personally. I hope it keeps getting better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some good news about manga publishers, and I hope both DH and Vertical can continue to do well. Hopefully Dark Horse can resurrect a couple of their titles (Eden, MPD) like they did with Ghost Talker's. I've gotta get my act together and order a few volumes of Black Jack, been meaning to do it forever. Embarassed
Peroxid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear Dark Horse is doing well, since I buy several of their titles. Heck, I just got an email notification from amazon offering me 34% of the Blade of the Immortal art book. Very tempting...

Since DH is publishing Samura Hiroaki work's, does anyone knows if there is a chance that they'll publish Bradherley's Coach? That would be awesome!
zeta kira

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good news from my fav publisher DH. Hope this means we can see more of Eden and MPD Psycho.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
YESH this is great news, I'm hoping to get my friends hooked on some of Tezuka's stuff. Its great to see for once, quality manga is actually selling instead of being left behind in favour of popular stuff like Naruto.
And the point about libraries going for Tezuka's stuff, that's a good point. I remember listening to the Anime World Order podcast once and they were saying that the older crowds that were interested in collecting the series because of its historical and artistic value tended to be more reliable buyers, in contrast to teens who are buying Naruto or FMA because it's the new hot thing. Of course this isn't always true but with companies like Viz scaling back their Shonen Jump stuff (even though they have those hot titles like Naruto and Bleach in issues of SJ, the page count is going down, or so I've heard) and of course those layoffs (which are always horrible, no matter what the reason), I'm starting to think that's the case. DH relied on people like Tezuka to sell manga because, well he's awesome and he was practically the father of modern anime and manga.
At least, that's what I think. Does not mean it's actually right in any way lol
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear some companies are doing well! Vertical deserves all the attention they can get! They publish, by far, some of the most interesting manga on the North American market. Hopefully this means Dark Horse will finish up/continue some of the series they left on hiatus (MPD Psycho, Shadow Star (preferably an unedited version), Eden)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4