• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! #1 Sells 23,000 to Top Weekly BD Chart

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second, what's that sound? Oh, it's the price of the license skyrocketing.

I really want to watch this one, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I expected this, but who didn't?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait a second, what's that sound? Oh, it's the price of the license skyrocketing.

Haha. Also the sound of the fantastic three. Along with Bakemonogatari and K-ON!; popular stuff we won't see licensed any soon (hope I'm wrong though).

Have to wonder if Funimation tried to license it as it came out in Japan (almost like what they did to Bund).
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Haha. Also the sound of the fantastic three. Along with Bakemonogatari and K-ON!; popular stuff we won't see licensed any soon (hope I'm wrong though).

Have to wonder if Funimation tried to license it as it came out in Japan (almost like what they did to Bund).

Well Bakemono is almost all out now, and it would likely be released as a complete set (or at least singles with more that 2 eps on them) so we'd have to wait till now anyway. If anyone had already licensed it they would have to have held on to it for a damn long time given all these delays. Not to mention it's going to be a total nightmare to localise, given all the onscreen text and wordplay.
K-on! isn't up for licensing for disk releases yet, they're trying TV rights first. One of the UK licensors metioned it at MCM Expo.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
angel beats is one of the few anime i WOULD pay money for...not section's "59.99 dollars for 12 episodes" crap, but i more sane prices.

you hear me funimation? i dont care if it's not dubbed..i wont watch it dubbed anyway, just get me blurays of this for a sane price.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
K-on! isn't up for licensing for disk releases yet, they're trying TV rights first. One of the UK licensors metioned it at MCM Expo.

Yeah, sure, K-on! on TV either here or the UK. That's gonna happen definitely.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It's always the overrated crap that gets the attention these days.... :/

But, seeing the rest of this season's lineup, can't really blame the consumer... Sort of.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, sure, K-on! on TV either here or the UK. That's gonna happen definitely.

I didn't say TV rights for the UK, I said TV rights. As in anywhere at all outside of Japan.
I said nothing relating sepcificaly to the UK, except it was mentioned by a company here. The important bit is it's not even being licenced yet.
Kougeru wrote:
angel beats is one of the few anime i WOULD pay money for...not section's "59.99 dollars for 12 episodes" crap, but i more sane prices.
Those are sane prices for a first release (assuming you mean MSRP, if you mean what it will actually cost to buy that's slightly high), I'm expecting full price singles for a title like that (that licence won't be cheap). If you want BD hope FUNi doesn't licence it their authoring has been notoriously bad mosly being bad uspcales.
If you want it cheaper wait for the reissue.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Those are sane prices for a first release (assuming you mean MSRP, if you mean what it will actually cost to buy that's slightly high), I'm expecting full price singles for a title like that (that licence won't be cheap). If you want BD hope FUNi doesn't licence it their authoring has been notoriously bad mosly being bad uspcales.
If you want it cheaper wait for the reissue.

Actually on ANNCAST I remember them saying the upscales were really good as far as upscales go. Its just not going to look as good as native hd, but they said its definitely better than the regular dvd. You shouldn't just say random things because the only thing people are upset about is that most of their blu rays are upscales. Not that their upscales themselves are bad.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

you hear me funimation? i don't care if it's not dubbed..i wont watch it dubbed anyway, just get me blurays of this for a sane price.

$60 is the MSRP. Nobody sane pays MSRP. That is like ... $45 from Rightstuf. And generally the difference between a 13ep series being $50 or 60 MSRP is how popular it is.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

Actually on ANNCAST I remember them saying the upscales were really good as far as upscales go. Its just not going to look as good as native hd, but they said its definitely better than the regular dvd. You shouldn't just say random things because the only thing people are upset about is that most of their blu rays are upscales. Not that their upscales themselves are bad.

Some were bad (not all), the advantage of an upscale over the DVD is the audio; assuming your player can upscale DVDs ok. An upscale may also be better due to being cheaper than the DVD version. FUNi seem to have a problem putting on the lossles Japanesse track on some things esp. if it's stereo (as it normally is), so you lose the one advantage the upscale had.
This of course assumes the DVD was authored well, so for some FUNi releases it may be an improvement. If the upscale looks better than the DVD it was a baddly authored DVD.
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
You know there' something wrong with the world when Angel Beats sells more than Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
I guess then I will be a baka..... I would be willing to pay and import the Japanese blu-rays, if they would at least add an English subtitle track to it, after I saw the last episode I had a lump in my throat, and a slight tear in my eye, I wont spoil it,

but this is one show that should not wait for a couple of years to come out, it would lessen the impact, just like if Toradora wasn't going to be released soon, it would not sell as good, top amine shows have to be released while they are still popular in japan and online,

unless it is bandia, and they totally screw up the release, that's right bandia, I am pointing my finger at you, screwing the fans with a dub only blu-ray release, and you keep delaying the release any way, if they would have put an English sub track to the Japanese version, along with the English audio, I would have paid for the Japanese version and imported it. just so I could have it
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

This news actually may be better than you think. With more sales generated in Japan, this could translate to a lower licensing cost to the US.

Don't forget, they're selling singles over there. At $80 a pop, that's some serious coinage. But no way in hell will those earnings be made here.

FUNimation/SF/S23 aren't stupid. They have to sell our market demands (box sets) to the Japanese, and if they're wanting a sale, they'll negotiate those license costs down.

$0 is arithmetically easy to compute, but certainly doesn't look good on the books trying to get into the black.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
lol, Licenses.

Perhaps the American audiences aren't really interested in CUET GURLS IN HI-SCHOOL, for christ's sake.

Seriously, that's the central theme of these best-sellers? This industry is dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2