• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki is Not an iPad Fan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Eh, well I'm disgusted by Hayao Miyazaki... just in general.

Personally I don't care either way for the iPad. I think it's nice for the people who enjoy it, but I'd never be able to afford one so it doesn't really effect me.

Last edited by ayashe on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with Miyazaki. I have so far been unable to describe my dislike for this pointless piece of mindless technology until now. From now on anytime I hear someone mention how "cool" they are I will be able to compose my replies in the same manner as Miyazaki. "iPad gestures to masturbation" might be my new favorite quote ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the iPad either. Whatever it does I probably own something that does it better. That quote of Miyazaki's is something else lol....
KidCorpse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
What he has said about the ipad is being completely mistranslated by every site reporting this.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm no fan of the ipad, but it doesn't 'disgust' me. A little pretentious of Miyazaki, don't you think?
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is the news article using opinions? Way too many things feel wrong for the article.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think that the ipad is a little silly right now but Miyazaki's comment totally threw me there. Methinks that someone needs nap time or something.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
KidCorpse wrote:
What he has said about the ipad is being completely mistranslated by every site reporting this.

Would you like to contribute a better one, or perhaps explain why it's mistranslated?

Just saying there's a problem helps no one.

Not that this is really that out of character. Miyazaki's personality has fit neatly into the "old crank" category for at least a decade now.
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
OT. Not owning a computer is one thing. Preferring analog methods of art is another. Comparing it to masturbation? Being disgusted by digital means? Sources for these quotes?

Only an ignorant buffoon would say these things. Coming from him is a little unbelievable.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I completely agree with Miyazaki. I have so far been unable to describe my dislike for this pointless piece of mindless technology until now. From now on anytime I hear someone mention how "cool" they are I will be able to compose my replies in the same manner as Miyazaki. "iPad gestures to masturbation" might be my new favorite quote ever.

I completely agree as well. This device seems rather pointless and really doesn't serve much purpose. It looks bulky and cost's more than it probably needs to.

I agree with you Mushi-Man, Miyazaki quote is my new favorite quote now. I agree with Miyazaki on this one and couldn't agree more.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
If these are the kinds of comments the new ANN news system is going to spawn God save us all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
You can always just choose not to see that feed, though I doubt you can choose not to see the forum threads =\
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
If these are the kinds of comments the new ANN news system is going to spawn God save us all.

What is wrong with this article? It's not like it's facebook or Twitter reporting useless information (I don't think anyone wants to know how long it took Paris Hilton to brush her hair or what time a random person ate lunch.)

There is a giant difference between useless trivia and information that can actually spur intelligent conversation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is a bit of a Luddite, but I agree with him here.

Apple products (or their knockoffs) and the obsession with them are a sad commentary on society. Everybody wants a pocket computer/phone/entertainment system/Hadron Collider. I don't even own a cell phone.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Ironic considering how masturbatory Howl's Moving Castle was.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8