• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime to Watch on Bastille Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't "Rose of Versailles," which actually includes the siege of the Bastille, be a good one to watch for Bastille Day too?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
Wouldn't "Rose of Versailles," which actually includes the siege of the Bastille, be a good one to watch for Bastille Day too?

Too bad it's not available legally in the US. But you are right this is the perfect anime to watch today and one of the best series ever. Smile
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
It's not? ;__; What a shame! That's a really an anime classic.

P.S. I love your Koyu icon~ ♥
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It's supposed to be a list of streamable shows with a French theme. Unfortunately, as pointed out, Rose of Versailles is not only unavailable on DVD here, it isn't streamed anywhere either.

Here in Central Maine where I live we celebrate "Le Festival de la Bastille" since we have a very heavy concentration of French-Americans that migrated from Quebec. It was actually celebrated last week because there's another local festival this week.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd say if you can, do watch Rose of Versailles, by any means necessary.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Rose of Versailles is terrific. Too bad its chances of being licensed in the states is practically zero. See it if you can.

Ironically, I just started watching Le Chevalier D'Eon (also set in France) today, and I had no idea it was Bastille Day. It's a terrific show so far; highly recommended, but I don't think you can get it streamed.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I throw my vote in for Rose of Versailles. But, what about another overlooked classic?

Anime San Juushi or...Anime Three Musketeers. Very Happy
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
What about Le Chevalier D'Eon? I still haven't finished that show Sad .
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Rose of Versailles is terrific. Too bad its chances of being licensed in the states is practically zero. See it if you can.

Ironically, I just started watching Le Chevalier D'Eon (also set in France) today, and I had no idea it was Bastille Day. It's a terrific show so far; highly recommended, but I don't think you can get it streamed.

Even if it was licensed, the best you'd get is a subbed stream and nothing else.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Even if it was licensed, the best you'd get is a subbed stream and nothing else.

Actually, I have the french R1 boxsets released here in Canada, which are pretty easy/cheap to get. The only bad thing is there's no subs, but hey, glorious japanese and french soundtracks are included Smile

http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,type-C,ID-698.html

So, we don't have streams, but we do have French dvd's.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Actually, I have the french R1 boxsets released here in Canada, which are pretty easy/cheap to get. The only bad thing is there's no subs, but hey, glorious japanese and french soundtracks are included Smile

http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,type-C,ID-698.html

So, we don't have streams, but we do have French dvd's.

That's wonderful if you speak French, but keep in mind, this is a site for the English-speaking world first.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's wonderful if you speak French, but keep in mind, this is a site for the English-speaking world first.

Well, ANN covers the US+Canada primarily, and it is a Canadian DVD. Anyhoo, just put it out there for anyone who's been looking for it, and wants a better deal than importing the R2 version.

And what better day to celebrate Bastille Day then anime in french Smile

But anyhoo, people should check out the Remi stream, and Gankutsou is probably also a good bet.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Although I would love to partake of a cavalcade of french-themed anime, none of them are avilable to watch in Ireland. I am filled with ennui.

We've started celebrating Bastille Day in the town I live in with a French food market, for no goddamn reason at all as far as I can make out. They also did an American-themed one for the fourth of July so I think it's just an attempt to bring some money into the main street.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Nobody Boy's: Remi for a while. The anime was rather intresting when I saw it. I'm still watching the anime, I'm on episode 6 I believe. I wish we had more old school western stories anime streaming on American site. It would be nice for me to see the World Masterpiece Theater from Nippon Animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Although I would love to partake of a cavalcade of french-themed anime, none of them are avilable to watch in Ireland. I am filled with ennui.

You can get Lady Oscar (i.e. Rose of Versailles) in two region 2 PAL box sets from Amazon France, for less money than we can get region 1 NTSC box sets. (Both in French, obviously the correct language for this title.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2