• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Hosts Ultimo/Shaman King's Takei at Comic-Con Int'l

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I hate it when companies announce omnibi to series I've already finished collecting. Now I feel compelled to buy it all over again. Laughing
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Is there a point to an omnibus edition of a series that only has 12 volumes?
noobiesnack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Crap. I hate it when companies announce omnibi to series I've already finished collecting. Now I feel compelled to buy it all over again. Laughing

Thats just what they want you to do! More monies for them :3
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
If this has a larger trim size (guaranteed?), color pages, and includes the extra 40-page epilogue, I will probably buy it. Razz
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
If this has a larger trim size (guaranteed?), color pages, and includes the extra 40-page epilogue, I will probably buy it. Razz

While that might be guaranteed for a VIZBIG line, since they aren't calling that who knows. One Piece has an omnibus version going out right now as well, but it is literally three of the little volumes stuck into one binding -- nothing extra at all.

I've been waiting off on buying this for awhile. The boxset on Amazon is only $70, and I've been tempted to buy it multiple times. Depending on how these new editions look, I might just get them instead.

Edit:
Holy crap. If it's anything like this German Black Edition from Tokyopop, I'll definitely be grabbing this.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Is there a point to an omnibus edition of a series that only has 12 volumes?
You should be saying that to smaller series - Dark Horse has placed out omnibus versions of series that are 4-8 volumes long, for example.

Anyway, yes there is a point - omnibus versions are cheaper and are space saving compared to buying each individual volume. Also, when starting a series late, a lot of individual volumes may become harder to find or too expensive to get due to becoming OOP. There are a lot of collectors out there that like omnibus versions for these reasons.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if I sound rude but... is that it? One omnibus re-release? Not that I don't enjoy Death Note, but I was kind of expecting at least a few new titles.... Also, on the topic of the Death Note Omnibus, while I am unaware of whether or not colour pages will be included in the re-release of Death Note; the Rorouni Kenshin VizBig edition which I own has plenty of colour pages at the start of the first volume.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I already own the first volume of Death Note and had planned to buy the remaining 11 volumes, but with the omnibus edition, maybe I'll just go with that. What do you think? Even without the extras, since I barely started the series, gettting the omnibus might be better. I've thought about getting omnibus version of several manga, like someone said,it's cheaper, takes up less space and with all the manga/anime out there that could be more of a blessing. Still, I hate re-releases. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Death Note surprised Viz has yet to comment on Soulja Boy "sampling" off it. They were a lot faster on the Nick Simmons thing.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Argh, no Zetman or DNA2 or Embalming. Sad

Jaymie wrote:

I know what you mean, I had just enough DB/Z volumes that the VizBigs coming along threw me for a loop at first. Though, I'd double-dip in an instant for I"s VizBigs. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

Edit:
Holy crap. If it's anything like this German Black Edition from Tokyopop, I'll definitely be grabbing this.

That looks great! I was about to start collecting the manga but I'm holding off if it's going to be that awesome.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote

I guess it's confirmed to be this Black Version? The ANN coverage said that it's six volumes, with new cover art.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Though, I'd double-dip in an instant for I"s VizBigs. Razz

If they did VizBig's for I"s and dropped the censoring in the first 9 volumes that they added (and stopped from 10 forward once they got enough complaints), I would double-dip in a heartbeat.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

I guess it's confirmed to be this Black Version? The ANN coverage said that it's six volumes, with new cover art.

If that's it...I'm buying. In a heartbeat.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
That's definitely gotta be what they are.

Quote:

and the Death Note: Black Edition starting in 2011, an omnibus collection of Death Note that features new covers, larger page size and two-volumes-in-one packaging for $14.

Those German volumes have two volumes in each as well, and were going for 14 euros. Awesome. Can't wait for these.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2