• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Earthsea Opens with US$20,100 in 5 Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I always thought this film was going to have a wide release, Rotten Tomatoes specified that it was going to release nation-wide, but who knew that it was just 5 theaters. But still, that's a decent amount of money for it just being shown in 5 theaters.
kewldude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
his dad is gonna say - congrats but u still got a long way to go son ~_^
Bell02

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Doubtful, I'm pretty sure his dad was upset with him. I'm sure he eventually got over it, but he was very against the idea of his son making a movie.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I imagine it would be very difficult to have Hayao Miyazaki as your father, particularly if you also have aspirations to be a director.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
America, if your life had a face I would punch it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Why? It had a higher gross per theater than Ponyo did.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'd be doubly sad if Scott Pilgrim didn't have at least that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It did not... or at least, isn't projected to. A $3735 average per theater is the current projection.

Unfortunately, the first weekend was pretty terrible for Scotty.

I'm kind of depressed that The Expendables is projected for 35 mil.

*explosion*
spoony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought Scott Pilgrim would do better than that. It got good reviews and the theater was full when I saw it.

Not bad for Earthsea, glad to hear it. Too bad Chicago isn't a big enough city for us to get a screening here. -_-'
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Ponyo had a limited-wide release, so the per screen numbers are going to be much lower than a 5 screen release where demand is super-concentrated. Per screen averages for a film on this few screens have to be in the tens of thousands for it to expand all that much.

But as has been specified elsewhere, this particular theatrical release is obviously just a contractual requirement for Buena Vista Home Video (Disney) to be able to release it on DVD and Blu-Ray in the North American market. I haven't seen it (and am not particularly interested in seeing it), but the general critical reaction is that it doesn't come close to the usual Ghibli quality, and the existing Earthsea fans apparently didn't think much of the film either, so there's probably not enough of an audience to cover the P&A (prints and advertising) costs for a wider release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall any Akira references in SP. Do you mean when Wright talked about being a fan of the anime? As for Gedo Senki, that's actually a pretty good PTA, considering the competition it was up against. I'd figure for sure everyone who wanted to see it either torrented it or imported it. As for me, I'll try to catch it during a matinee.

Megiddo: I so wanted Expendables to deliver, but it's just average at best.

Soapboxing removed.

Tenchi: I doubt it has anything to do with contractual requirements, or Disney would've gone wider with Laputa and Kiki, and done something with Totoro. It's probably more like they know this thing is a dog, and they're just hoping to at least build some awareness among the casual Miyazaki buyers who don't really care about WOM.

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It did not... or at least, isn't projected to. A $3735 average per theater is the current projection.

Unfortunately, the first weekend was pretty terrible for Scotty.

I'm kind of depressed that The Expendables is projected for 35 mil.

*explosion*

The sad thing is I watched both movies yesterday, and The Expendables was pretty terrible, aside from having action heroes kill bad guys and all that.
Scott Pilgrim on the other hand... holy crap, I haven't had that much fun at a movie ever. It was made of pure epicness. If it really makes that little, I'm gonna be just as sad as when The Losers didn't even break 10M its opening weekend.
BasouKazuma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
When this was first released in Japan, I heard the movie wasn't that good. If that is true, it's pretty sad that it's making more money than other (better) Studio Ghibili movies did in the past.

Though I guess the higher numbers are more of a reflection on how Anime is becoming more and more popular than how good or bad the movie is. I'd be interested in seeing Mononoke Hime re-released in theaters since I missed the first theatrical release but would mostly like to see how well received it would be nationwide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow thats not bad just for 5 theaters
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Michael Cera had anything to do with the film not doing as good as people thought?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2