• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golden Boy Manga Returns in New Series in September

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Is it going to be a manga where the first volume is well written, and the rest is hentai where Kintaro gets peed on over and over?

Honestly they ran out of ideas by the first volume why the hell would you create a sequel? I mean what else can you do with the character? To be fair I haven't seen the entire manga, but if your having your character drink piss than I think it's safe to say that your not going to improve.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
If they make an anime out of this, it would be a crime for it not to be dubbed. Doug Smith was AWESOME as Kintaro.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if Golden Boy was picked up for an english release. I'm kinda surprised it never was.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
It would be great if Golden Boy was picked up for an english release. I'm kinda surprised it never was.

Have you read past volume 1? it's actually mostly hentai.
mjc5436

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
wow its been almost 20yrs cant wait to see (read) what Kentaro does in the entertainment biz.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, never expected this series to continue after concluding years ago. Yeah, I never read the entire series (but not because it's boarder line H or anything) but because of interest.

The anime was pretty good and surprizling the theme song was also pretty cool. Though if there ever is new animation, that would be pretty shocking. The OVA's were pretty good, but it's the type of OVA you see once and after several years becomes slowly forgotten.

Though I have to wonder, how did this series ever end?
ponlork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hell Mutha freakin yeah! I swear I was just talking to a friend about how they should bring Golden Boy and Love Hina back and what do you know, I must have godlike powers lol jk.

I read the original Golden Boy manga and it's pretty cool because it has extra stories that weren't featured in the OVA so I suggest fans check it out also if they want more GB.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Golden Boy in the moe generation. I'm very interested in seeing how this is received.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, didn't expect to see this happen. This is probably the second artist that I've heard reviving an old series. If anyone has ever heard of Satosumi Takaguchi's 'Hana no Asuka Gumi' manga. She revived a new series after like almost 20 years. From 80's s bad girls to bad girls using cells and goth chic.

I've seen some of the comics. Talk about insane. That was my first exposure to Tatsuya Egawa's work. Talk about a man that can express "sex" in so many different ways. But considering the books run what else could he come up with. I guess it would be exposing Kintaro to a newer more modern scene or create a new cast.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one confused as to why this series is so very popular?
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the art has improved. I read some of the manga and found it pretty bad, especially the art which sucked so much (NSFW!) I kept wondering how it got published.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
If they make an anime out of this, it would be a crime for it not to be dubbed. Doug Smith was AWESOME as Kintaro.

I concur! Really enjoyed it very much.

More fan of the anime than the manga. If they do venture in anime, I hope its short and sweet like the first series.
RagingDemon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I wonder if the art has improved. I read some of the manga and found it pretty bad, especially the art which sucked so much (NSFW!) I kept wondering how it got published.

There are a lot of mangas which were drawn way worse than that Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
RagingDemon wrote:
mufurc wrote:

There are a lot of mangas which were drawn way worse than that :D

That is true and I've read several of them. Sometimes they start out good but later on the art no longer is that interesting.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Honestly they ran out of ideas by the first volume why the hell would you create a sequel? I mean what else can you do with the character? To be fair I haven't seen the entire manga, but if your having your character drink piss than I think it's safe to say that your not going to improve.

Yeah its not like he has had 13 years to come up with some ideas...

Anyways I never read the manga but the anime itself was kind of funny and it might be interesting to see some more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2