• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Casshern In: Anime Remakes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
manga#6772 The To Terra manga is actually by Keiko Takemiya (and available from Vertical Inc http://www.vertical-inc.com/books/keikotakemiya/toterra.html if anyone wants an idea of it's grandeur)

And yeah, the recent remake's pretty good.

*goes back to reading Mike's awesome column*
*read it*

Watched ep 1 of Birdy on Funi's site- definitely looking forward to the dvd release, as the OVA is one of CPM's titles I missed out on, and Akane's one of my fave directors [Noein is way overlooked]

I also need to watch my Casshern Sins dvd's....

Probably my fave anime remakes/sequels-
Gunbuster 2- completelty different in many ways but deeply, emotionally tied to the original series, it's entirely fun in it's own way.
BubbleGum Crisis Tokyo 2040- I saw it before the original, so maybe my views are skewed. It's not the best show, but it's still really fun and a different take visually and atmosphereically on the extremely 80's original, managing more of a Cyberpunk edge [which was perfected in the Parasite Dolls OVA spinoff].
The Utena Movie- a strange, wonderous take on the original series story, it stands well on it's own and creates a fantastic, very stylized take on it all, using the advantages of a theatrical adaption to include some great visuals [the roses flowing off the glass platform] and general wierdness [cars!]
Macross Plus- Such a wonderful remake of the love triangle, pop idol and advanced mecha elements of the original TV series, but bringing it all down to a very personal, localized element as three estranged friends comeback to their hometown and science goes mad.
Orguss 02- Another overlooked remake with a snazzy animation style and a very complete story that like Gunsbuster, ties into the original in a way that makes it it's own story, but held onto the original.
Appleseed CGI- The first movie just blows the original OVA out of the water
Phoenix- a really fantastic, epic take on the original manga, though I think most of the stories it adapted hadn't been animated before.

What was up with that? remakes-
Nadia the Motion Picture- okay, followed the original pretty closely, so more of a direct sequel then a remake, but gah, what horrible animation 0_o It has run cycles!!!

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keyl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
great column. I've gotta be honest. the remakes of Terra e, Tetsuwan Birdy and Casshan have been some of the best anime that have come out in the past 10 years. i'm hoping for more kick ass remakes of 60's anime.

Last edited by Keyl on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
nolabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
a great article, well written and very informative.

I miss the law that required every OVA to have a superfluous topless scene.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
You sir, are a wise man indeed. Casshern Sins and Birdy Decode are amazing series that bring a little hope to this anime world, even to us who enjoy moe. I watched Sins as it aired, and boy, I always looked forward to a new episode. I guess this is what the older people mean when they talk about how they couldn't wait for Saturday morning cartoons.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to track down the DVD copy of Casshan Robot Hunter for ages. And wish someone would put Neo-Human Casshern in a Sub-only box set.

I'm a big fan of Casshern SINS, great action, great animation, great art direction.

It does seem like Japan loves its remakes/reimaginings. Much like America. But it seems to be, in Japan there is more appreciation for the source material. Remakes still seem related to the original in one form or another, instead of simply being a name to slap on something unrecognizable.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a completely superfluous Luna topless scene that was required by Japanese law to be in every single OVA until about 2000 or so
rofl, so true. xD

Awman, Casshern this week, awesome! I remember when Sins came out and I checked out the first episode on a whim, only to be blown away by it. Which lead me to looking into it, and checking out the 90s OVA. I however could not sit through the movie. After like an hour of build up he finally came out and he did this super cheesy looking massive robot fight scene and after that I turned it off...

I think it's interesting you talked about both birdy and casshern.. Only interesting on a personal level though. Because I love Casshern, and I recently watched Birdy and couldn't stand it. I've considered watching the older OVA, because I would probably find that more interesting. Though my severe dislike of the first TV season is causing me to put that off for as long as possible...

I've only heard good things about the Towards the Terra remake. I watched the old movie and didn't really find it that interesting.. Of course I watched it practically back-to-back with Crusher Joe, and it just couldn't stand up to that... And speaking of Joe, that is one OVA that seriously needs a new TV series remake. Provided it turns out as good Casshern and Terra.

Overall very enjoyable read. Your's is one column where the wall of text doesn't discourage me, but actually excites me.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
With all these awesome remakes and I am hoping for some more Capt Tylor myself!!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited about the CGI Captain Harlock film, and the live action Space Battleship Yamato film myself.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What I find irritating about the movie industry is that they think remaking old kids' cartoons with oh-my-god-it's-awesome CGI effects and placing them in real life cinema is supposed to be appeal to the modern crowd. Yogi was an icon back in his time and for those of us who grew up on Cartoon Network in the 80s and 90s. Do they honestly think that this is going to do well? The Smurfs movie is an even worse idea. It just shows that this industry is pretty much on the verge of failing. Maybe it's a good thing they cancelled the Spyro movie. I think that would have also bombed at the box office.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
It does seem like Japan loves its remakes/reimaginings. Much like America. But it seems to be, in Japan there is more appreciation for the source material. Remakes still seem related to the original in one form or another, instead of simply being a name to slap on something unrecognizable.

I dunno, I love how Cinar's adaption of Little Lulu adhered more closely to the style of the comic books and went with a 40's/50's ish setting. X-men Evolution was a fun remix, picking and choosing elements of the comics and amping things up with new characters, slick Disney-ish character designs (the creators had worked on Gargoyles).
I guess it all depends on who's behind it creatively, and whether they're going for a cheap cash grab or making something new from old.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
What I find irritating about the movie industry is that they think remaking old kids' cartoons with oh-my-god-it's-awesome CGI effects and placing them in real life cinema is supposed to be appeal to the modern crowd. Yogi was an icon back in his time and for those of us who grew up on Cartoon Network in the 80s and 90s. Do they honestly think that this is going to do well? The Smurfs movie is an even worse idea. It just shows that this industry is pretty much on the verge of failing. Maybe it's a good thing they cancelled the Spyro movie. I think that would have also bombed at the box office.

You really don't pay much attention to the way things are going in Hollywood right now do you

Smurfs and Yogi Bear will probably both do at least $120-150m domestic.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You really don't pay much attention to the way things are going in Hollywood right now do you

Smurfs and Yogi Bear will probably both do at least $120-150m domestic.

To quote captain Dylan Hunt of the starship Andromeda: Stop the universe, I want to get off!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loved Toward the Terra and Casshern Sins... Maybe I should check out Birdy the Mighty next?
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
manga#6772 The To Terra manga is actually by Keiko Takemiya (and available from Vertical Inc http://www.vertical-inc.com/books/keikotakemiya/toterra.html if anyone wants an idea of it's grandeur)

I'm watching Toward the Terra TV right now and really enjoying it so far. I will definitely be checking out the 1980 movie and this manga. Thanks for the link. I didn't even know the manga was licensed here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Hm, somehow I came away from this with the Moomin's theme song stuck in my head... That seems to have been remade a whole load of times, Japanese or otherwise. In Britain, most older people would probably remember this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXbpKrWRBs
and then, of course, this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZ0eBFTH6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7fV62Gt1U(the anime)

I never actually realised that was an anime until much later, though...

I've never seen Cassher/Casshan in any version, but I did enjoy Birdy (the remake). I should look out the OVA some time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4